Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New to Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New to Jeep

Always buying American company products whenever possible, I thought I should give Jeep a try. Got a deal on a GC I couldn't pass up, I`ve had it for a couple months and am wondering about the break in as there is little info in the manual.
I`m guessing the factory oil is a break in oil that should stay in there the full 6000 mi the manual`s schedule shows.
Also, the manual basically states the oil needs to be the 'Chrysler MS-6395' class. Not mentioning synthetic or not. I usually buy Mobil 1 and see it`s not rated for this. Probably not a big deal just wondering what others are using?
Old 07-03-2016, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Engine: 4.0 liter

Welcome to the forum. and what a nice ride you have bought for your first Jeep! Can you post some Pics? My son want to buy a nicer vehicle for around town and the newer GC are on the list, but he needs to have something a little more economical.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Just drive it the way you're gonna be driving it, change the oil every 6k miles, and use the Mobil 1 if you like.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:24 AM

Mine is a 2015. I heard about a problem with the shifter before I bought it and when I discovered exactly what the problem was, I simply told my wife about the unconventional shifter and to ALWAYS watch the shifter handle or the dash display to be sure of the gear position the car is in.
But I can see how some people are not going to pay attention to this, treat it like a standard shifter and have problems.
I searched for 8 months on a deal for a GC or a Wangler Unlimited. The most I was able to get a discount form MSRP was maybe a thousand off. Then out of the blue, I found a dealer in Maryland that had 6 Larados, all priced where I got out the door with tax, destination, title, tags, everything for just over $30,600. Equated to about 6k off!
I live in NE Pennsylvania, but I searched all over the tri state area by me.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you remember seeing the actor anton yelchin died not along that was from a new grand cherokees shifter.He thought he had it in park and got out it rolled back on him pinning him between the car door and a brick pillar at his home.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
If you remember seeing the actor anton yelchin died not along that was from a new grand cherokees shifter.He thought he had it in park and got out it rolled back on him pinning him between the car door and a brick pillar at his home.
Yeah, ............ soon as I heard about this, my first thought of course was the shifter.
Also heard there is a fix for this. But, if you think about it, the only way to fix this is to change the whole shifter mechanism. Would have to be like the prior vehicles and the 2016`s. Where the shifter moves and stays in fixed positions.

Heard there are other makes/models that have this similar electronic shifter as well. For me, you just have to get used to it. Be interesting to see what all the cars that have this will actually do about it?
Old 07-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm not saying there ISN'T something wrong with your shifter, but the more complicated these systems get, the more vigilant an operator must be. The whole reason for designing automatic systems was to make the driver's job easier but just the opposite has happened.

A little story here to illustrate my point. My 2000 WJ has the normal shifter we are all familiar with and my parking brake doesn't work. Because my transmission is getting old, I generally shift to neutral on first startup in the morning to allow fluid to flow thru it and warm it up. One day I did this and apparently had it slightly toward drive instead of in the notch. I got out to open the hatch to load something and I no sooner got to the hatch than the jeep started forward! The driver's door was open, but I didn't get to the brake before it crushed my snowblower! If the snowblower hadn't been there, it probably would have taken out the garage door or worse!

I'm reluctant to tell you this because it was a stupid thing to do, but maybe it shows you that even though we think we know what we are doing, we sometimes mess up. The more complicated things get, the more room for error there is. On item that bring this to point is the electronic throttle that Toyota had problems with. What REALLY frightens me is most new military jet fighters are all controlled by computers. If the systems are electronically jammed or fail for some other reason, the only thing the pilot can do is "punch out!" That's not an option with an automobile.

My 2000 is about as complicated as I'll ever want to drive. I can still work on it myself and I'm going to make it last as long as possible.

Last edited by dave1123; 07-04-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Dave its not just the toyotas that did it some lincolns did any really anything drive by wire could.The big problem was at wide open throttle the car won't let you pull it out of drive so you don't do it by mistake and blow up the trans.But even when the car ran away you could still turn the key and kill the engine but most people freaked out when it happened to them.Glad i learned to drive in old junk and had crab floats stick and throttle linkage stick.Its the same run away but a lot easier to fix and stop.The jeep shifter is more we are use to a shifter having some throw to it and now it only moves like a inch.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:39 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Yeah, I used to drive Chevys and they broke motor mounts, then the engine would torque over and pull the throttle linkage wide open. I was very quick with the key! In 1969, they came out with "capture" mounts to stop that. They recalled several million cars for the fix. But that's another story. The whole point is I like to drive my cars, not have the car driving me!
Old 07-05-2016, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah im with you but the days of you fully in charge of driving is over.