Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Left turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Left turn signal issue

Hi gang. I'm new to the group. I just bought a 2001 GC and I am having issues with the left turn signal only. Driving it home from where I purchased it, we knew it was an issue. An hour into the drive, it magically started working again, 10 minutes later, it stopped. I've had no luck with it since then. I have read where the flasher relay goes up and can cause the blinkers and flashers to not work, but my hazards and my right blinker work just fine. There are no bulbs out and the fuse seems fine. Could it still be the relay? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jason
Old 02-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF and the WJ world! In case you're new to jeeps, a WJ is a Grand Cherokee built from 99-04. It's the model I know best, having owned one for 5 years.

The WJ has a unique flasher in it because it has 3 logic circuits in it. One for left turns, one for right turns, and one for hazards. Pull it out and it has 9 pins on it! I had the same identical thing happen it mine. The flasher unit is in the worst possible place they could have put it. It's at the top of the junction box under the dash and is behind an aluminum steering column brace! It took me 30 seconds to pull it with a pair of channel-locks and 45 minutes to get a new one into the socket with the tips of my fingers and finally seat it with a pry bar. It also costs $50! I did all the circuit checks and even replaced the multi-function switch to no avail. THEN I read about it in the FSM.

They said to remove the junction box and lower it down for access, but I looked at those 2 big wire plugs and said "No way!"

Last edited by dave1123; 02-03-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Originally Posted by dave1123
Welcome to CF and the WJ world! In case you're new to jeeps, a WJ is a Grand Cherokee built from 99-04. It's the model I know best, having owned one for 5 years.

The WJ has a unique flasher in it because it has 3 logic circuits in it. One for left turns, one for right turns, and one for hazards. Pull it out and it has 9 pins on it! I had the same identical thing happen it mine. The flasher unit is in the worst possible place they could have put it. It's at the top of the junction box under the dash and is behind an aluminum steering column brace! It took me 30 seconds to pull it with a pair of channel-locks and 45 minutes to get a new one into the socket with the tips of my fingers and finally seat it with a pry bar. It also costs $50! I did all the circuit checks and even replaced the multi-function switch to no avail. THEN I read about it in the FSM.

They said to remove the junction box and lower it down for access, but I looked at those 2 big wire plugs and said "No way!"
thanks, Dave. I found the part on ebay for $12.

j
Old 02-04-2018, 09:15 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The Mopar price is $50. I didn't say I paid that!