Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Jeep died last night :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep died last night :(

My 1999 Jeep Grand died last night while driving 45mph and we coasted to a stop. It had only been driven for a half mile and had been parked for 2hrs previously. All electrical seemed fine (it would turn over, but not re-start). We went to tow it this morning and it started back up fine. My mechanic pulled the codes and got nothing. He mentioned possibly changing out the cam sensors. Oil was exceptionally dirty, but had been changed 3 months ago. Any ideas?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:24 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 V8

A loose sensor? Something that could have came loose then just by moving it a lil moved back into place. And as for the oil after 3 months im sure its dirty. From what I know and what I tell people is to change the oil every 3k miles not every 3 months. You will hit 3k fast than 3 months. usually. This is my idea. Wait for one of the guys that would really know to chime in though.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:31 PM

Year: 2003
Engine: 4.0L I6

Check your ground from the battery to the engine block. It's cheap and easy to replace, and this is what caused my engine to do the exact same thing as yours.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

if its a ground it would not turn over. sounds more like a fuel shortage, or something took away the spark then gave it back. Those in tanks pumps can be a real pain. see if you can get a good fuel pressure guage and check that as well
Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 PM

Default Fuel pressure was good

Like I said, it did turn over, just wouldn't fire up.

Yesterday......I had nearly the same problem, except it just wouldn't start in the driveway (I wasn't driving it at the time). I tried starting for nearly 20 minutes. Pulled off the battery cables in hopes of "resetting" a sensor of some type. I had no luck. As a last ditch effort, I turned the key to the "on" position (didn't start it) 4-5 times quickly and then try turning the engine over and it started! Since then its worked for fine (made several trips around town).

Anymore ideas?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:46 PM

Year: 98
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.9

Originally Posted by jswift
Like I said, it did turn over, just wouldn't fire up.

Yesterday......I had nearly the same problem, except it just wouldn't start in the driveway (I wasn't driving it at the time). I tried starting for nearly 20 minutes. Pulled off the battery cables in hopes of "resetting" a sensor of some type. I had no luck. As a last ditch effort, I turned the key to the "on" position (didn't start it) 4-5 times quickly and then try turning the engine over and it started! Since then its worked for fine (made several trips around town).

Anymore ideas?
things to check: fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, coil, plug wires
pull the plugs and see what kind of shpe ther in, feel the plug wires for breaks.
when was the last time you did a tune up
Old 11-07-2008, 07:18 PM

Year: 2003
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by RRAM
if its a ground it would not turn over. sounds more like a fuel shortage, or something took away the spark then gave it back. Those in tanks pumps can be a real pain. see if you can get a good fuel pressure guage and check that as well
Mine turned over but wouldn't start because the ground to/from the battery/block was fine, but the ground connection for the on-board computer was compromised. Leading up to the point where it no longer started, my GC would die randomly and then start right back up like all was fine.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:43 PM

Default Stalling

My GC a 97 stalls also, random can't pattern it does it only sometimes and always starts again. There was a guy on here that said the screws on the computer face plate were to long. I backed the screws out, while the battery was disconected and checked all plugs I could find, cleaned all fuses,hooked up battery put computer back in and everthing was great for about a week now its back now its back. Strangest thing I have ever faced. I love this truck but this has got to stop. Anybody know what the deal is sounds like a common problem with these jeeps. Thanks
Old 11-08-2008, 08:51 PM

Fixed....mine turned out to be a crank position sensor.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

Good Deal!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:40 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2 V8