Ambient Lighting?? - Jeep Cherokee Forum
Jeep Cherokee Forum

MODIFIED XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.

Ambient Lighting??

Old 08-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #1

View max95xj's Photo Album My Photos
Default Ambient Lighting??

Hello,

Has anyone attempted to make/install ambient lighting inside their XJ's? I have a 95 and it's hard to see the buttons on the doors at night, unless you open the door. It would be nice to have some faint ambient lighting in the interior that's on when you're driving at night...like the german cars have...
max95xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
CF Veteran

View jay_sco's Photo Album My Photos

What German cars? Although not illegal it's generally viewed is unsafe for inside lighting to be on while driving at night, that's why there's illuminated switches.
I'm guessing you mean power window switches when you say "buttons". Personally I see no need, but I suppose you can hook up a couple LED lights under the dash for some mood lighting.
jay_sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #3

Yes, I meant the buttons on the driver side panel and passenger panel. VWs, BMWs have ambient lighting coming from the rear view mirror. Small red/orange lights that provide dim lighting.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
CF Veteran

View jay_sco's Photo Album My Photos

If it's just for that then I'd stick with under the dash. Won't be too bright, easiest to wire/hide.
If it was for actual working lighting then I'd stick with overhead/rear view mirror.
jay_sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
CF Veteran

View investinwaffles's Photo Album My Photos

In my 98 XJ, the dome light has constant 12v power for the map lights.

I tapped into the constant 12V line, and put in 5 red LED lights in the dome housing, on a 2 position switch.

Position one lights the 2 small LED's up for some "tactical" lighting, and position 2 fires up 3 large "superflux" lights which I pretty much only use when I am camping or 4wheeling at night.

I'll grab some pics when I can.
investinwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by investinwaffles View Post
In my 98 XJ, the dome light has constant 12v power for the map lights.

I tapped into the constant 12V line, and put in 5 red LED lights in the dome housing, on a 2 position switch.

Position one lights the 2 small LED's up for some "tactical" lighting, and position 2 fires up 3 large "superflux" lights which I pretty much only use when I am camping or 4wheeling at night.

I'll grab some pics when I can.
Would love to see pics of how you did this! Take a pic of the holes you made for these 5 led lights.