Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

intermittent starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default intermittent starting problems

Ok so here is the issue. Every now and then, about once or twice a month, my 1997 jeep grand cherokee won't start. When this happens, my battery is being drained by something. I've often heard a clicking coming from my interior fuse/relay compartment under the dash. Sometimes a car will jump start it but I've had to get additional voltage from a jump box sometimes. I've also seen my indicator saying that I have a rear lamp failure at times when this issue happens. I am not leaving anything on in my vehicle. I have had mu battery tested twice and it is good and my starter ispractically brand new with no issues. It also seems like this happens when it is raining alot outside, I don't know if that is just by coincidence or not. Has anyone had any issues like this or any advice?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:33 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

You're going to have to do a battery draw test to see what is draining your battery. There are several posts here that you can search for, but basically you have to put an ammeter between the positive battery post and the cable end to see what the draw is. With the key off, you shouldn't have more than 0.75 amps. That's about what the radio and PCM memory draws. If there's more, start pulling fuses until you find it. If that doesn't do it, disconnect the alternator.

The raining part has me curious. Look for a frayed section of wiring that is corroded and shorting out when wet. Look under the battery tray or the bottom of the main fuse/relay box under the hood.