Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Running fine now NO START!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Running fine now NO START!

Good Morning All! Wondering if anyone can give me a heads up on where to start. Got a 1988 4.0 2WD XJ. Only got her a couple months ago. Did usual maintenance as not sure what PO had done. New plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, new belt, new positive and negative battery cables, flushed or changed all fluids, new thermostat, etc. Ran a little rough when I first got her, replaced the CVV value from value cover and replaced fuel filter and since then ran like a champ. I use it for my DD so its not been sat and I haven't offroaded it so no crazy vibration.

Drove home last night (and actually thought to myself how awesome she has been running lately stupid!) parked up in the garage and went inside. I come out this morning turn the key and nothing! There is one loud click then if you release the key there is a smaller faint click. Thats it. Nothing is trying to turn over or clicking. Like i said pulled up into garage last night running like a champ. The courtesy and dome lights come on when I open the door. the hood light came on when I checked the connections and the e-brake and seat belt light come on the dash when I put the key in (no buzzing noise though anymore). Didn't have time to mess with it this morning, I was already running late for work. Any ideas of where I should start? The weird part to me is the one loud click? I've had dead batteries before so I know what that normally sounds like but never heard this one loud click before.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Old 11-04-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

I'm guessing the click you hear is the solenoid on the starter, but that's just a guess.

So, start with the basics. Make sure you battery connections are clean and tight, then make sure your grounds are clean and tight, and finally, make sure your connections at the starter are clean and tight. You'll want to check your battery... if you don't have a battery tester, you can use a multi meter to, at least get the volts. You want 12.6. That won't tell you the amps, and even a battery showing 12.6 volts might still be bad, but at least its a start. Most auto parts stores will test it for free for you.

Because you're getting a click from under the hood, its most likely not your NSS, but just to rule it out, try starting it in neutral, and see if your reverse lights are working.

Once that's done, you can switch out the ASD relay with a known good one, and see if that makes a change. You can take your meter to the starter and see if its getting power when you turn the key. You can also try jumping the starter, right from the battery (once you know the battery is good and fully charged). If the starter won't crank when its wired directly to the battery, then you know you've got an issue with the starter.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:00 AM

Thanks Heap! The battery was new in April, was also tested a couple days ago passed with no issues. I did check the terminal connections this morning but like I said in my OP I just replaced both negative and positive battery cables about a month ago. When I did this I cleaned battery terminal (although really wasn't much corrosion being a newer battery) and made sure everything was super tight. I couldn't even wiggle the cables this morning so I don't think its a battery issue or main battery cable problem.

But i'm a newbie so I don't know my head from my ***, so I will certainly double check all and double check battery etc again to be sure. So with the (just one) click you think I should check the starter? I'll double check all wiring and then try jumping the starter directly from the battery. So if it doesn't crank I just replace the starter? but if it does them what?
Old 11-04-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

Just because its a new battery, doesn't mean its good, and it also doesn't mean that its charged. If you try jumping the starter, before you check your battery, and it doesn't work... does that mean your starter is bad or that your battery is dead. Make sure of one, before using it to test the other.

Also, don't just check the connections at the battery. There two ends to each wire and cable. You've got to check all the connections, and make sure you hit those grounds. Bad grounds can have you chasing your tail six ways till Sunday.

If you jump the starter from the battery and it doesn't work, then you know its an issue with your starter. If it does work, you know its an issue before your starter, but let's not jump in to the "what if's"... just go through the logical trouble shooting and diagnostic steps. Jumping around, and looking ahead, will only confuse and frustrate you. Do you have a digital multi meter? If not, you will want to pick one up. You can find them for cheap all over the place. I don't recommend a cheap one, but they will work, and I my first cheapo unit lasted almost 18 months with all of the abuse I threw at it.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:22 AM

I got ya! Thanks...again I'm new to this so sorry if I just frustrate things. I'll grab a multimeter on my way home and check the battery and all associated wiring and terminals first. If everything is connected good. Good grounds and battery is good....THEN i'll jump the starter and see where i'm at. Thank you again for your help Heap! I'll hit you back once i've done these steps!
Old 11-04-2015, 09:37 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Clean your battery cables,check your grounds & clean both starter connections.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

Agree with trying to start in other gears. Neutral, drive, etc. Rule out the NSS.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:09 PM

if its one loud click its the starter. i got mine new for 60 bucks from DB electric.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

Mine did this. It was the starter. Try tapping the starter and solenoid on it with a stout board and see if it will start. It's it starts your gonna need to replace the starter.