Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Groaning/Binding During Turns

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Groaning/Binding During Turns

Hello All! I’m new here so if I am in the wrong place just let me know. I recently purchased a 2004 GC Special Edition with a 4.7 4x4 QuadraTrac. 180,000 miles. It has a few things that need attention and I am getting to them one by one. My main concern at the moment is the turning issue.

When I test drove it I didn’t even notice any noises while turning because I didn’t really do any turns. Mostly very wide turns etc nothing to tight. When I drove it home I noticed how during regular turns, not nessarily sharp there is a low groaning noise, vibration on the
steering steering
wheel and seem to need extra
gas gas
to keep it going. This happens both turning left and right. Turning sharply or into parking spaces is just plain painful. If I turn into a
parking parking
space i need to keep the accelerator going a bit because the Jeep will actually come to a stop before I get into the space.

After doing some research, some say its the VC, some say it’s the front diff., the rear diff, the TC, the frond DS, and even worn fluids. So I thought to get the easiest out of the way first. I already changed the front diff fluid (75w 140 with mopar FM) and the TC
fluid fluid
(Fluid also from
mopar mopar
). The front diff fluid didn’t seem horrible, no metal shavings, very little stuck to the magnet. The TC fluid was super NASTY.

Anyway I haven’t gotten to the rear diff yet. In the next day or two for sure. The noise and issue still exists with little/no noticeable improvement. Any suggestions, or advise? Any would be much much appreciated. THanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2018, 05:44 PM

Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)
Engine: 4.7

Hey Nathan,
I'm no expert, just a guy who has had 4wd's all my life. When I have had similar sounds from my front end while turning, it has always been the front U-joints. Of course the trucks I had in the past were not full time AWD so who knows, good luck with it though,,Brian
Old 03-19-2018, 07:15 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm assuming that's a 4.7 V8, right? That would have the NV247 constant 4wd Quadratrac II with 4hi, N, and 4lo, correct? If this is right, there is a gerotor pump in the transfer case that pressurizes a clutch to drive both axles and is supposed to disengage when cornering sharply. It requires a special lubricant from Mopar and I'm willing to bet someone put the wrong lube in it. Start by completely flushing the t/case and putting the right lube in. Then you can go from there. I think the clutch plates are sticking and not releasing when necessary. This is at least better than the old NV249 where the viscous coupling was a sealed unit and had to be replaced when this happened.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:49 AM

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks Brian,
I will be throughly going over the front end over the next couple of months. Ill make sure to check the U-Joints carefully.

Hey Dave,
What you are assuming is correct...4.7 V8, Quadra-Trac II, 4hi - N - 4lo. I replaced the fluid in the TCase already with fluid from Mopar. I suspect the fluid was wrong to start with because when I drained the fluid...IT REEKED! It smelled like burnt/spent gear oil. It was really black. I actually thought to maybe do a change again in a month or two, and really flush out the previous fluid. I have someone really insisting that its the rear diff. I am not too sure since the noise is coming from the front. I will probably post a quick video soon of the noise. Hopefully we can narrow it down! Thanks again!
Old 03-20-2018, 03:43 AM
Old fart with a wrench

This is what happened to my rear diff. Check your front one.The carrier case cracked resulting in a lockup.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:27 AM

Whoa! That doesn't look like any fun! I checked my front a few weeks ago. Upon a quick inspection it seemed to be in good working order with little to no real wear.

Here is a link to a vid I just recorded. The noise is a little hard to pick up. Feel free to skip to 2:00. Almost all the noise heard in that part when I make the turn is what it sounds like. All seems to be coming from the front.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:54 PM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7L V8
Default TC flush

Originally Posted by dave1123
I'm assuming that's a 4.7 V8, right? That would have the NV247 constant 4wd Quadratrac II with 4hi, N, and 4lo, correct? If this is right, there is a gerotor pump in the transfer case that pressurizes a clutch to drive both axles and is supposed to disengage when cornering sharply. It requires a special lubricant from Mopar and I'm willing to bet someone put the wrong lube in it. Start by completely flushing the t/case and putting the right lube in. Then you can go from there. I think the clutch plates are sticking and not releasing when necessary. This is at least better than the old NV249 where the viscous coupling was a sealed unit and had to be replaced when this happened.
Thank you Dave for your input. I am having the same issue with my 2002 GC Limited. Is the TC flush something I can do at home or should I take it to a transmission shop? If I can do this myself, are you able to describe the process for me? Thank you for your time.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Never having worked on a 247 t/case IDK for sure, but I can recommend something. If it were mine, I would drain it real well, then pump a bunch of standard ATF thru it until it comes out clean. Let it drain for awhile, then fill it with the special Mopar lube. If it gets dark in a few days, drain it and refill with fresh fluid. I know that fluid is a bit pricey, but well worth the investment.

You should see an improvement on the way it works on turns in a few days once the crap gets worn off the clutches. If not, seek professional help.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

hehe Seek professional help...I like that one.
Hey you can always jack up each front wheel and spin with the tire on and see if you hear any noise. Use a lug wrench to spin it.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:18 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Ah...no. You can't spin a front tire separately, stupid! Not with a 4wd. BOTH tires up, yeah. Even with a Q-trac in neutral, it won't work.

Last edited by dave1123; 06-10-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Oh contraire, my Syracuse colleague! Mine spin all day long! Remember, not everyone has a stuck transfer case!
Old 06-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Okay, I was thinking of an AWD where all 4 are locked together. Please forgive me, I'd been up all night at that point.