Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Gauge Dimmer and other general questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Gauge Dimmer and other general questions

I just bought my first jeep, I have the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo L6 4.0, and when driving at night my gauge dimmer in the light control by the steering wheel will not change. It's very dim, any suggestions on this fix?

Secondly, I have the Drivers Information Center (Shows a jeep in the middle and left hand side shows the 4x4 current settings) I like the VIC is this easy to switch over to? Also what is the right hand side for in the DIC And why is there a jeep are any of it's components suppose to light up?

EX:

VIC

DIC

Also dealing with this, are there any cool mods for this? I see a lot of the frequent users here with amazing modifications to the interiors.

Last question, I see there are what 4 speakers (two front door panels and two rear door panels) has anyone tried placing two speakers or subs in the hatch plastic where the "carpet" is? I like to entertain my friends at fires and I was thinking of doing this for better sound.

Thanks guys hope to hear some great stuff from you all.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

First of all, my '97 ZJ had the VIC you show in your first pic. When there is a malfunction, the time/date goes out and an error message appears, like "Coolant low", and the front of the jeep symbol flashes a red dash where the radiator is. If one of the tail lights or brake lights fail, you'll get a "Rear lamp failure" message and the jeep symbol will flash which one. If you have a door open, it will show you which one. I've never seen the one in the second pic, so I can't tell you how that works.

I believe all of these are controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM). My '00 WJ has an overhead display. It doesn't have a time/date display and I miss that.

You can put speakers in the hatch, but you'll have to cut sheet metal behind that plastic and run your wires thru the flexible harness to the body. I've seen guys that put speakers in the cargo area side panels which is easier. On the ZJ, you'll have to remove the spare tire or just put a woofer in one side. Somewhere on this site there is a write-up on making a special enclosure for the one side.

The dash lights are controlled by a variable resistor in the headlight switch. There are often solder breaks in the switch. You can try to fix it or replace the switch.

Welcome to CF!

Last edited by dave1123; 08-19-2014 at 02:23 PM.