Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Front yolk

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2
Default Front yolk

I bought my 94 grand about a month ago. When I got it the guy who sold it to me said the yolk bearing? needed to be replaced and thats why the 4x4 wasnt hooked up. I assumed he meant the pinion seal because it was leaky. I got under there to check it out and i noticed the entire yolk was loose. Not sure if this is normal or if i should expect to replace somethimg else when i go after the seal.

Its a 94 with a 4.0 i6. Dana 30 up front. Here is a video to he yolk.

https://youtu.be/_npDc9_9olI
Old 05-22-2016, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The pinion bearings are probably shot. Pull the cover and see if there is any debris in there.

Yoke
Old 05-22-2016, 11:50 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

What Bustedback said is true. If the driveshaft yoke is loose AT ALL, chances are the pinion bearings are toast. Long story short, the rear axle in my 97 blew up because a transmission shop replaced my pinion seal improperly, resulting in the pinion bearings disintegrating at 65 mph! Differential service is an exacting procedure and should be left to the professionals, UNLESS you are sure of what you are doing. It's even MORE intense than repairing a transmission.

Most guys just install a used axle when this happens. I'll bet you are the guy who just asked about why your jeep moves in park, right? Running a 249 transfer case without a front shaft can ruin the viscous coupling in it as well. Just be aware of this.

Sorry, you're not that guy, I just checked.

Last edited by dave1123; 05-22-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by dave1123
What Bustedback said is true. If the driveshaft yoke is loose AT ALL, chances are the pinion bearings are toast. Long story short, the rear axle in my 97 blew up because a transmission shop replaced my pinion seal improperly, resulting in the pinion bearings disintegrating at 65 mph! Differential service is an exacting procedure and should be left to the professionals, UNLESS you are sure of what you are doing. It's even MORE intense than repairing a transmission.

Most guys just install a used axle when this happens. I'll bet you are the guy who just asked about why your jeep moves in park, right? Running a 249 transfer case without a front shaft can ruin the viscous coupling in it as well. Just be aware of this.

Sorry, you're not that guy, I just checked.
I was afraid of that. My rear seems good right now but it does need a seal. I was going to tackle that myself but if there is a chance ill ruin stuff if its not %100 then ill take it to a shop. And there is a chance im really screwing up my transfer case with out the front hooked up?

So im guessing to have the front and rear seales and possibly bearings replaced, thats about a $600 job from a good 4x4 shop? I would use tarhel 4x4 here in Charlotte.