Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Diff or Rear Axle Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.0L V6 Diesel
Default Diff or Rear Axle Compatibility

Hi again folks, newbie here with a pretty big issue I need to get around - hope you can help.

I have a 2008 Grand Cherokee (3.0 litre V6 Diesel, 4x4, auto trans) that recently started to 'groan' from the rear end when pulling away. The diff then runs real hot and the 'groan' reappear after I coast to a stop and pull away again.

The local shop had a look-see into the diff casing and found that the main bearings may have been misaligned (from new) as the wear has now gotten to the point the bearings are being rubbed and the spider gear shafts have lots of play

So I'm on the search for either a rebuilt diff or a complete axle - most people I talk to about this say a jy axle would be easier to achieve due to the various issues around aligning the gears/bearings/shims etc of a rebuilt diff.

Anyhow, being in the UK we don't exactly have many jy's to begin - certainly not where I'm located (middle of a Scottish forest on the banks of Loch Awe, middle of nowhereville) with nor do we have much in the way of junked 2008 vehicles to source from! So, can anyone advise which YEAR of vehicle the back axles are compatible with mine? Are there other MODELS that have the same axle even? OR does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I can resolve the problems?

Getting a bit desperate here

Very grateful for any replies...

Dave
Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

It might be worth giving the dealer a call (or go there if possible) and having them cross reference some part numbers to see what's the same and what isn't. That's about all the advice I can give, good luck getting that resolved.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

Unfortunately, we don't get to play with diesels here in the US so we don't even know what axle they used in it. Sorry, guy!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the responses - errr I think!

I've sourced either a reconditioned diff £1500 ($2475) but excludes installation or a used axle (complete) for £1000 ($1650). The complete axles are from wrecked vehicles with only 60 days warranty and no guarantee on the mileage of the donor vehicle so the options aren't exactly ideal....

The other option is a rebuild doing it myself. Various look-arounds (US-based site, Moparpartsoverstock) give a price of around $650 (£400) for the parts I think I need - not sure til I've inspected the stripped down diff - but the price seems competitive

I'm still determined to get this problem fixed so have arranged to get the vehicle back from the shop and I'll be ordering parts to rebuild the diff - I need ring and pinion plus the intermediate gears (not the casing).

Can anyone recommend a supplier for spares like these? Bear in mind I have to have these shipped to the UK - but UK dealership parts are astronomically expensive so even after shipping charges (and import duties and taxes) they are around 20-30% cheaoer than buying locally.

I know of the techincalities of a job like this but do have the skills to tackle it.

Thanks

Last edited by kellys_eye; 05-22-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:29 AM

Curiouser and curiouser.....

I've got the vehicle back and have been inspecting the diff components. There is blueing on the crown/pinion suggesting they were improperly aligned and you can see the areas where the gears have been touching.

The interemediate (cage) gears all seem ok - colour is ok, no signs of rubbing, no excessive play.

The cage bearings (drive shaft) show signs of uneven wear - again pointing to them not being properly aligned from new - note, the diff has never been apart since ownership from new so any misalignment has either been caused during manufacture.

So I'm checking for a replacement ring/pinion set based on the part number stamped on the crown wheel (ring) which is as follows:

52114006AA 3.55M

Obviously it's a 3.55:1 ratio but the part number Googles out as a Dodge Dakota rear axle

Other than three junk yard references to the supply of a complete axle I cannot find a part number linking to any aftermarket or OEM supplier....?????

What gives?

Does anyone know of a cross-reference to this part number or anything about where I can actually get a spare?
Old 05-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Old fart with a wrench

You might try jeep 4x4.com. This is Morris 4x4 Center specializing in Jeep parts and are based in the US. They carry all the parts and kits to rebuild your axle. They are a little expensive but have solid quality parts. IDK if they'll ship to the UK, but you can check. They are good people and answered a shipping problem I had within 24 hours. I'm sure They can match up your part number.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the link - sadly USA based companies must not want UK business as they don't respond to emails. - I'm referring to Moparpartsoverstock here

They seem happy to take my (previous) order though.... and I thought UK companies had 'attitude'

Still waiting for Jeep 4x4 to reply but given the Labour day holiday I can give them a day or so to catch up.

Back to Moparpartsoverstock though.... has anyone used their services? Can anyone tell me what [DMD] [DS8] and [DSF] refer to in the parts listing? I'm trying to decipher what's actually included in the 'kit' they are offering:

http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p...5135943AC.html

says it includes items 1, 2, 4 etc but the numbers don't correspond to parts on the diagram

I'd previously ordered the cage bearings for the diff from moparparts... and the order arrived with one bearing shell missing . Credit where it's due they sent a replacement by return but getting it to the UK still entails 10-15 days delay (customs etc) so I'm trying (but failing) to get confirmation of the remaining items I need to prevent any further ballsups but they don't seem to want my business.

Any help? Advice?

thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Old fart with a wrench

From what I understand, a company has to be licensed to sell in each country they wish to sell in. I imagine the paperwork is a nightmare and most don't want to bother because the profit isn't large enough to make it worthwhile. Americans can get most anything imported without duties and fees, but to export takes too much hassle. So much for world-wide commerce.