Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2005 Cherokee - A/C Heater core issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2005 Cherokee - A/C Heater core issues

Hi Guys,

I got afew questions about the heater core in this model. My problem is that I have NO A/C currently.

Afew days ago, I noticed a slight "whine" coming from the A/C. When I got home, I smelled either coolant or burning wires (later confirmed it was coolant). I noticed dripping under the car, which didnt look like water from the A/C. The next day, I start the car and NO A/C. <--blows hot only.

It seems the heater core is shot. I get that. But shouldnt I still have A/C in the car? I didnt think they were linked to each other.

Also... the dripping from under the car, where did it come from? The 2 main hoses on the firewall are fine and inside the cabin is dry and fine also. Is there an overflow somewhere?

Thanks for insights into the A/C system.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:10 AM

I might have to take some of that back.... I just checked the car out again.

I see why the AC is not working. The compressor is not engaging. But now, I do seem to smell something burning when I turn it on.

I will check the fuses with a meter later today. Is is possible, what I saw leaking was not coolant and something else? It was hitting the exhaust on the pass side midway near the tranny. Well behind the firewall hoses.

Any suggestions? Now wondering if the heat core is not the issue?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:17 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

-

Hey guy. While I'm no tech I'm sitting at the Jerp dealer waiting for my recall to be finished. So while killing time thought to give you some possibles to ponder. Not fun having no AC so I'll throw my 0.02

1.) You may have developed an AC freon leak? You may want to recharge with refrigerant n check your die to view possible leaks. If so replace leaking hoses. FYI I just had that happen to mine. $70 to professionally recharge, leaking hose was like $50 buck. I have a tread & photos on page two ~*~ possible AC issues ~*~ check it out when it's convenient for you...

2.) AC evaporator may be failing ? Don't know enough about it to elaborate but what I do know is that it's responsible for cooling also. If that's shot you will have to have your dash torn apart, if so you'll want to change out heater core regardless if it's bad or not and evaporator, blend doors etc.

I'm sure other Tech Savvy members will chime in and correct me and or give you more insights. Good luck mo.

PeterB.

Clarification: I noted you added a 2nd post while I was typing this one on compressor failing so what I typed may not be accurate at all.. Just trying to help. Sounds like your on the right track. Good luck Chief.

-

Last edited by PeterB; 05-27-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

There is a condensate drain on the firewall under the heater/AC unit but that should only be clear water. If it's coolant, chances are your heater core is leaking. You should find coolant on the passenger's side carpets as well. If the carpets are wet, press a white towel onto the carpet to see if you have coolant by the color of it. You can do the same with the stuff on the ground underneath.

I had a problem with my wife's Caravan where it burnt up 2 compressors before we found the problem. It seems the orifice in the evaporator (inside the dash) was freezing up and back-pressuring the compressor enough to tear up the clutch. The fix required replacing the high pressure hose with the orifice in it, the dryer, purging the system and recharging it, as well as a new compressor.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:41 PM

Year: 2003

You should listen to PeterB. He is a good tech. He helped me work through my AC problem yesterday.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys... I fiddled with the car throughout the day... Here is where I'm at now and my recap. For whats its worth Im the 2nd owner about 8 into it... I'm well familiar with the car.

1. AC was cold on day 1, just making a slight wheezing noise.
2. Parked it and smelled either burning or coolant.
3. Checked under hood and smell was greater, but nothing visible.
4. Hard a loud "sizzle" as a walked away and noticed it was "something" dripping on the exhaust. Sound was much louder (and sizzle/burn like) than common AC drip that you get normally.
5. While under car, the drip was on the exhaust bank next to the rearmost cat... after the tranny bell housing, well behind firewall. I couldnt get to close (too hot) but I tried to check consistancy and it didnt seem like water. Almost looked like a tint of yellow to it? I was trying to rule out common water.
6. Stumped, so I shrugged it off and let the car sit over night.

7. Started car on day 2, and there was no cold AC from the start. Infact with the AC on, the car smelled again of either burning or coolant.
8. Checked all carpets and nothing wet. Even pulled glove box apart to get better feel.
9. Checked hose at firewall and no drips.
10. No time to mess with it, so I left it.

11. Started car on day 3 (today), still no AC. The smell was fading away.
12. Visually checked compressor under hood, found it was not engaging.
13. Turned the heat on... works fine. (rough test for me, I'm in FLA)
14. Checked all fuses and relays. good.
15. Pulled AC switch panel (dash section) to try to get a better "smell" of things and to check for anything fried. I didnt notice much of a smell behind dash anymore and wires okay.

Seems like my heater core is fine... my AC is shot from one day to the next though. I've had old cars where the AC fades as the freon leaks out... but nothing like 1 day. I'm leaning towards something electrical? Is there anything under the dash electrical? Or does it seem like the compressor might have went?

BIG NOTE: Not sure if this is related... For the past 1-2 years I have dealt with the loud/clicking noise of the "flaps" that control the AC when you first start the car. Happens randomly only when first starting the car then stops. I've learned to deal with it... not sure if this is related.

I have a buddy that does AC work and can run the die... but wont be able to see him for a week or so... was hoping to make headway in meantime.

Thanks again for your insights,
Old 05-27-2014, 07:43 PM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0

Hey big chief. Here are my thoughts:

I think you may have blown a pressure hose at the firewall and what you maybe seeing with the yellow tint is a dye that previous owner many have had added to system for previous problem or some refrigerant oil. This can also be the source of the smells you are getting, (escaping gas and refrigerant oil) although it doesn't usually smell like something burning.

As for the compressor, if you are low on refrigerant it will cycle on and off frequently. Did you have any of that prior to the no AC condition you have now?

Also if there is no refrigerant in the system, as I suspect right now, the compressor will not engage.

Find the compressor and follow all the hoses, especially those going to the firewall and check the undersides for wet and oily feel.

Last edited by fishbone; 05-28-2014 at 05:38 AM.