Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Check gauges light keeps coming on

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2 V8
Default Check gauges light keeps coming on

Hi, I am new here and I am a broke college student with and awesome 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ with a V8 5.2 that I found for 3 grand. I only recently have been having a problem with it and I can't seem to fix it. The problem first occurred when I hit a large railroad track and it broke the idle pulley, keeping it from rotating, causing my belt to come off. I was able to replace the part and put the belt back and it began to run fine again. It wasn't until I drove for about 10 minutes when the check gauges light came on basically saying my coolant was overhearing. I parked my car and steam was coming out of the left side of the radiator if you are looking at it. The engine is fine and wasn't steaming or smoking, but I figured the radiator could be cracked or damages. I then bought Bars liquid aluminum and poured it in my radiator cap hoping it would fill any cracks or leaks and this did help, but the light still comes on after a while, but doesn't steam as much as before. I have watched a lot of videos and I have been trying to fix it myself because I don't want to pay a lot for a mechanic to fix it. Basically I am asking if any of you know how I can fix this problem on my own. Whether there could be a clog in my coolant system and maybe I have to clean it out, or maybe I just need a new radiator? I am not sure, so I'm hoping someone can help me out here. Also a new problem is that the heater isn't working anymore, just kind of blowing out cool air, probably has to do with the coolant/radiator problem.

Thanks!

Last edited by nrob19; 10-04-2018 at 08:12 AM. Reason: grammar and clarification
Old 10-03-2018, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

did you re fill the radiator after you put the leak stop in?
Old 10-04-2018, 05:29 AM

Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Rule #1. Never put any "leak stop" type products in any vehicle. Only 2 things can happen. Things can get better or things could get worse. Not good odds. Rule#2. There is no such thing as a $3000 vehicle of any make. Rule #3. A Jeep is not a wise vehicle choice for a broke college kid. What does "hit a large railroad track mean? And what is an "idles"? A pulley?
Old 10-04-2018, 06:52 AM

if you ever find your self with no other solution but to use stop leak use JB radiator stop leak its about $10 and is the only stop leak I have used that will not clog up everything but your leak lol I have recommended this several times in my years as a mechanic when fixing it right was not an option , like I said if it is at all possible fix the leak but if not give jb a try
Old 10-04-2018, 06:56 AM

the overheating / but no heat is caused by not having enuff coolant in the system refill the radiator asap!
Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 AM

By refill, do you mean refilling the coolant?
Old 10-04-2018, 08:06 AM

Sorry for the confusion, it was a big divot that was right on the railroad track causing my car to jolt over it, and I heard a loud thud noise. It was the idler pully that was damaged and what I replaced. The reason I bought the $3000 jeep was it wasn't expensive, and I needed a 4 wheel drive car. I was able to drive it back and forth from Iowa to California, and it has been running great when I was home and while I made it back up until this incident.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:09 AM

When I am putting coolant into my car are you saying I should be putting it through the radiator cap? I'm sorry if that's a stupid question, just trying to completely understand what it means to "refill the radiator."

Last edited by nrob19; 10-04-2018 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

YES!! When it's cold, take off the radiator cap and fill with coolant until it starts to overflow. There may be air still in the system so you'll have to run it until it gets warm enough for the thermostat to open and start circulating the coolant. The level in the radiator should drop at that point. It may start bubbling at this point so be careful of your eyes. Add coolant until it's full again, several times if necessary. When it won't take any more, put the cap on tight and fill the overflow reservoir about 1/2 way to the top, not just to the full line. You may see some bubbling in the reservoir. Shut it off and let it cool. If there was any air left in the system, the level in the reservoir should have dropped when it cools down. Keep adding to the reservoir until it maintains a constant level after several cool down periods.

Due to the violence of that pothole, you may have cracked a seam on the radiator side tank. If that's the case, you'll need another radiator. You might get away with a junkyard one, if you can find a good one. If they are good, they are usually the first thing stripped out in the yards. You probably won't save much money over a new one in the long run anyway.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:45 AM

by cold he means like after sitting over night or at least a few hours after it has been driven so if there is any fluid left it don't come out and burn you
Old 10-07-2018, 07:13 PM

Okay, thank you very much! I hope there isn't a crack, but when I go get my oil changed I will have them just take a look at it.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:49 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

That's fine, but don,t drive it until you fill up the coolant in the radiator cap. If you keep running it hot your gonna need a new engine.