Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NoBus, No gauges, check engine light, immobilizer light, 2 second stall

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation XJ Sport 2000,NoBus, No gauges, check engine light, immobilizer light, 2 second stall

Hi,

Ever since i bought my 2000 cherokee xj sport 4.0l I've had nothing but trouble with the 2 second stall, no start condition. I've had success fixing this issues once, but now the nightmare is back. I will list the story below and the difference in the errors the car displays for the same condition.

1st time:

Immobiliser light on
NoBus displayed in cluster
half of gauges working and coming up at ignition switch on.
engine starts up instantly and shuts off after 2 seconds.

These were the only errors displayed when my XJ had this issue the first time. I then changed the CPS to a new OEM part. And the condition was fixed, it drove flawless for about 2-3 months, and now it's been doing the same condition, with different errors randomly over months time.

now:

All gauges dead
NoBus
Check engine light - on
Immobilizer light - on
Engine stalls after 2 seconds

Another thing: This error now also occurs while i'm driving - I can drive, and suddenly all gauges die, and display same errors listed above. The car will continue driving like nothing is wrong. If i switch off ignition, it wont start again.

I'm dead tired of this car by now, I've spent so many hours online and on the car trying to figure it out.

If i reset the computer by discharging all electricity, it will start and run like there are no problems. Problem will then reoccur randomly. Can be 1 day or a week or a month.

It's worth noticing the difference in the errors displayed by the car before and after CPS was replaced.

I need some help, this is driving me insane. At least it doesn't shut down on the highway, but it's very discomforting.

The car has 140.000km on it

I'm sorry for starting yet another tread with this issue, but most threads simply mention the CPS or the cars have different symptoms than mine.

Please help a fellow jeeper

Kind regards
Kenneth

Last edited by Pantera; 04-20-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

May I suggest perusing this thread:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/jee...ed-help-37315/

May get lucky, find the answer in there. Also would suggest reading up on the ASD relay. Proper diagnosis first may be a bugger but better than parts cannon.

I would suggest checking the fuel pressure and/or injector actuation. Neither is likely the culprit but along with ASD relay, can give an idea of what the ecu is doing/not doing?

There are much better people than I on this board, hopefully they will be along soon. Good luck!

Tim
Old 04-20-2017, 07:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

You said you have a Check Engine light on. Did you have the Diagnostic Trouble Codes read using a code reader or scanner? If so, what are the codes?

Here's a schematic of the CCD Bus. Note that the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) Module is connected to the CCD Bus. It's obvious that the CCD Bus is being corrupted.

I suggest you move in the direction of addressing the SKIS error. Shutting the engine down after 2 seconds is a function of the SKIS/PCM.

Three components are involved in the SKIS operation; the SKIS Module (SKIM), Transponder Key, and the SKIS programmed PCM. Any one of these components going south can cause the SKIS to activate. The most probable culprit is the SKIS Module.

You may be better off taking your Jeep to a Jeep dealer and have them check the system out and replace any component that is defective. If you change the module. The new module and SKIS key will need to be programed.

Or...

Install a PCM that is not programmed for SKIS. The SKIS programmed PCM is what is shutting down the engine after 2 seconds.

Name:  CCDBusrev1_11_15.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  524.8 KB

Last edited by CCKen; 04-20-2017 at 07:54 AM.