Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

change power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 05:58 AM
pwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default change power steering fluid

My steering fluid looks like this, i got new mopoar and that one is clear, so i shuld change it? Should i remove the return hose from the pump and flush the oil out? Is it ok to start the engine or do i need to turn the wheels to get the pump to start pumping oil?
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2013, 06:27 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Some ps pumps use ATF.. I believe your jeep's pump uses the clear type. It looks as if maybe someone used ATF in it, but it might just be really old. Drain it and refill it with the proper type. Once it's filled to the proper level, put the lid back on and start the jeep. Turn the steering wheel all the way left then all the way right a few times. Don't force it against the stops, just to where it touches, then stop and go the other way. That'll bleed the pump. After 3-4 times back 'n forth, check the level. Should be good to go
Old 10-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Just a word on your power steering fluid. My repair manual says only Mopar power steering fluid or equivilent. I made the mistake of putting ATF in my Chevy's unit and within 3 days, it started leaking from the shaft seal. I hope Jeep's system is more robust than GM's. It has to do with the seal's compatibility. As far as "export" jeeps are concerned, I've no clue.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I use ATF and have never had a problem.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Old fart with a wrench

I trust Busted's advice.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:53 PM
pwb

Originally Posted by dave1123
Just a word on your power steering fluid. My repair manual says only Mopar power steering fluid or equivilent. I made the mistake of putting ATF in my Chevy's unit and within 3 days, it started leaking from the shaft seal. I hope Jeep's system is more robust than GM's. It has to do with the seal's compatibility. As far as "export" jeeps are concerned, I've no clue.
The servide manual say i should use only mopar power steering fluid, but when i contacted the local jeep dealer he say that i could use ATF +4 or some Fiat oil. But since all say i should use mopar i got mopar.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:54 PM
pwb

Originally Posted by kjc
Some ps pumps use ATF.. I believe your jeep's pump uses the clear type. It looks as if maybe someone used ATF in it, but it might just be really old. Drain it and refill it with the proper type. Once it's filled to the proper level, put the lid back on and start the jeep. Turn the steering wheel all the way left then all the way right a few times. Don't force it against the stops, just to where it touches, then stop and go the other way. That'll bleed the pump. After 3-4 times back 'n forth, check the level. Should be good to go
how do i drain it? Should i get the pump to pump out all the old oil?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Old fart with a wrench

The way I did it was use a suction gun and suck out the reservoir, refill it and drive it for a couple of days, then do it again. That way I didn't have to bleed the air out of the system. While you're at it, check your brake fluid. If it's dark, it's got water in it and needs to be changed and the brakes bled until it comes out clear. Brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it will absorb water, and water rusts the insides of brake calipers and other parts. Some manufacturers recommend changing the brake fluid every 30K miles.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:02 PM
pwb

Originally Posted by dave1123
The way I did it was use a suction gun and suck out the reservoir, refill it and drive it for a couple of days, then do it again. That way I didn't have to bleed the air out of the system. While you're at it, check your brake fluid. If it's dark, it's got water in it and needs to be changed and the brakes bled until it comes out clear. Brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it will absorb water, and water rusts the insides of brake calipers and other parts. Some manufacturers recommend changing the brake fluid every 30K miles.
ok, thanx. My brake fluid is brand new, new lines and hoses all over.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:15 AM
pwb

changed the fluid, suction gun and removed the oil, in with new oil. Have done this 3 times and will do it 2 more i think. The steerings is like new and the car/enigne runs better i think. I didnt have any problem with steering, but it was some squeek when it was hot and i did hear the pump if i turn the wheel at low speed/idle. Now the steering is smoother and the response on the engine is faster i think. The sound from the pump is gone to.

BTW, should i replace oil until its clear or is it ok to to repalce it with 2qts ? 6-7 times with suction and refill?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Old fart with a wrench

You may have to do it a lot to get it clear. There's probably a lot of crap in the system that needs to be flushed out. Deposits tend to build up around the seals and eventually cause them to fail. It's good that you got to it before this happened.