Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Caster adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Caster adjustment

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee (All Stock). I have had a issue with the Jeep wanting to pull to the right when I take my hand off the wheel, and when going straight the steering wheel is higher on the right than the left a good bit. When I got my last alignment done the place said the "Caster could not be adjusted anymore" I have read that this can be solved with different Front Upper Ball Joints. Has anyone else had this same issue? Also what should the factory Alignment spec be for a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee? Any advice would be great. Thank you

I have attached a link with the front upper ball joints.

http://www.spcalignment.com/componen...AFrom&to=USATo
Old 07-17-2016, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Is it pulling on a flat and level road? Any vehicle with a solid axle front suspension will tend to pull toward the crown of the road. My ZJ and JK pull to the low side of the road. You could try and cross the front tires and see if the pull changes direction.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:08 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I just want to say that part of any good alignment is adjusting the steering link to center the steering wheel, in other words making sure the steering wheel is straight when the car is going straight.

There are 3 things to adjust on an alignment. Caster, Camber, and Toe-in. Caster is the vertical angle of the steering knuckles, front to rear. this is controlled by the length of the lower control arms with an eccentric bolt and cam on the frame end. This is usually built in on jeeps, but this bolt/cam can be added if needed. It really doesn't have that much adjustment anyway. Additional angle change can be had with offset ball joints or adjustable control arms, but you shouldn't need them unless you have a lot of lift. Camber is the vertical angle of the wheel rim in relation to the ground and is built in on jeeps and can't be changed EXCEPT with offset ball joints. Toe-in is set as a means of making the steering stable at speed in a straight line because it adds a sideways force trying to make the tires go straight. Too much or too little can wear the tread out on the edges.

As Busted said, the crown of a road has a lot to do with the steering pulling to the right. When you get the chance, like at night, try driving down the road on the "English" side and see if it pulls to the left. A lot of rural country roads are crowned a lot more than you'd think or visibly see. I have one road near me that the crown is inconsistent in that it changes in several areas because of water drainage. It's a royal PITA to drive down at night because it's hard to keep my jeep in a straight line. I thought it was my jeep, but no, I've had it checked and it's not. This road as long and basically straight, but has several low dips that are slightly banked for water drainage to one side. AND it has that damned centerline rumble strip that I always seem to catch part of.

I'll get back to you on the alignment specs as soon as I find my alignment receipt, but the caster should be 7* + or - .5*.

Last edited by dave1123; 07-17-2016 at 03:20 PM.