Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

AC issues- 99 WJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default AC issues- 99 WJ

Hey guys. I am definitely not knowledgeable when it comes to AC. I do have a set of gauges, and always have to google everything when it comes to AC. I have a 99 WJ. When I first bought it, it was barely getting cool, not enough to say that the AC was on. I got it home, hooked my gauges up and immediately knew it was low on R134A. I added a can of it and the low side and high side were spot on according to the chart that I was going by- which I have used for numerous vehicles in the past that I have added R134A to. I haven't drove it a lot since I got it, but the times I did, it wasn't very warm or humid outside.

My issue is that today it was around 95 outside today. Upon driving it to my second job, I noticed it was not cooling well at all. I have a thermometer that I use and it was blowing around 58-60* which I believe is way warmer than it should be. I get home, hook my gauges up and it was spot on. My canister is cold, and there is all kinds of condensation on the lines going to the canister as well as the canister. It is still blowing at 60 sitting, and down to around 55 running down the road. I also noticed that the compressor never did cycle on and off. Compressor seemed to stay on the whole time while I was doing some examining.

I talked with my cousin who took the classes a while back and he suggested that I get the existing R134A evacuated, pull vacuum on the system for an hour, then make sure it holds vacuum for 15 minutes. He said from previous owners, there is no telling who added R134A to it, could have got moisture in it or anything. So I did just that...Pulled it for an hour, it held for 15 minutes with absolutely 0 pressure loss. Got 3 cans of R134A, added 2 cans and 2oz of another can. 26oz which is what the WJ calls for. Seems to have no change from before. Temp was 93 yesterday, sitting in the driveway it blew 60*. Tried sticking water up to condenser and there wasn't much change in temp if any. Drive it down the rd, and it maybe got to 59.

I did notice that if I turn my blower up halfway instead of wide open, it seems to blow around 55* which is better, but still not what it should be. Blend doors seem to be working, it works on both sides when I change it to heat, but is it possible that maybe they aren't closing all the way to go to cool? It also seems like even though the blower is wound for sound, it doesn't blow all that hard. In fact, I am not sure that a passenger in the rear wouldn't be sweating their butts off because of air not getting back there to them.

I also pulled codes for my climate control. The only code that shows up is code 52 which has to do with the re-circulation door. Nothing on the blend doors. Perhaps that door is messed up? But still, I wouldn't think that it would have a very large affect on the temperature.

I replaced the compressor and drier in another vehicle that I had and added r134a to it. It would blow about 38* on a fairly warm day and at worst start blowing around 45.

I am kind of dumbfounded as to what is going on since my low and high side are spot on. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? I love my AC. While this isn't a primary driver, it is my soon to be toy hauler for my rzr....I need my AC to work decent lol.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

It sounds like you know way more about AC than anyone I know. If it makes you feel any better, I have a 2000 and my AC temp sucks as well. I have never had one vehicle with AC that worked well for any length of time. They were always problematic and expensive to deal with.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, here's something that might help. My A/C doesn't work, but my heater leaks warm air when shut off, like the doors aren't closing the core off completely. If you're leaking heated air into the A/C's air stream, that's why it's not too cool. Just trying to help.

Try looping the heater supply hose back into the water pump, eliminating the heater, and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited by dave1123; 07-15-2015 at 01:19 PM.