Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Which XJ should I Purchase?

This is what I know about both rigs that I am going to look at Thursday evening. I want to know what to look for and any help to make my decision which one is going to be my new toy. I have not test drivin either one yet plan on going to test drive both Thursday and coming home with one. My intentions are for my rig is for off-road trips and hunting. I will be building it into as money alows and all around off road vehicle. My first vehical was a 1989 xj with 5spd and 4.0 it had 299,983 miles when it died with orginal drivetrain. So I have always wanted another XJ. I now have the chance to get another and want the one that I pick to be with me for a long time) any input would be helpful. This is what I know about both possible jeeps
I am from South Arkansas so rust is generally not an issue around here.

1988 Jeep Cherokee Limited (Black Picture)
Automatic- Says no slipage
Miles-180K
3 inch Lift
4X4- says no issues with vacuum system. and works great
33 inch BF's
A/C Unknown
Aftermarket heavy duty winch bumper
Interior-fair normal signs of wear. Headliner redone in camo lol
Has common wobble of death and slight roar in rear end
No known leaks or burns any fluid.
I know the owner personally he is honest and told me everything that he knows is wrong with it. Which is the wobble (had that know I how to fix) and rear end issue. I do not know the condition of the A/C since I did not ask him yet. He will sell to me for $1500

1995 Jeep Cherokee (Green Picture)
4.0 HO Says no leaks or burns any fluids (Also stated that top end was rebuilt since he has owned)
Automatic- says no slippage
Miles-unknown. Owner said that od did not work when he purchased. he bought one from junk yard that has 200k or so on it. Owner seemed honest when said "Could have more than that could have less I don't want to speculate"
3 inch Lift
30 inch mud grip
4X4- says no issues with vacuum system. and works great
interior- Fair but better slightly better than other jeep. Headliner not in this one at all.
A/C-Owner says it works Heat does not blow very hot. (I assume thermostat temp issue)
Known issues- few dents, wobble of death (had that I know how to fix). steering column is not broken but plastic shroud is missing.
interior is in fair shape. Bumpers missing corners. few dents and dings. Owner stated that he drives the jeep everyday selling to purchase newer truck for hauling. Seemed like he will be somewhat honest from how he spoke and way he said things. I is asking 1800 and is Neg so I figure I could easily get it for $1500 as well.

It seems to me that I have found 2 very similar rigs and have a tough choice. Please tell me if there is something that I should consider over the other that may help me with my decision.
Can't wait to be an XJ owner again. Thanks Jason.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: Straight 6

Go for the Renix, the worlds highest mileage Cherokee is a Renix....
Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

I have an 88' with 225k miles on it and still runs great. From what I have read the older models seem to more flexible when it comes to mods and suspension. I would defiantly buy another older model xj if mine (heaven forbid) died on me
Old 02-07-2012, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
I have an 88' with 225k miles on it and still runs great. From what I have read the older models seem to more flexible when it comes to mods and suspension. I would defiantly buy another older model xj if mine (heaven forbid) died on me
Same here.... My Cherokee has the same buttons on the dash as my parents Chrysler minivans had while I was growing up... I like 96 and earlier, especially 94 and earlier for nostalgic reasons. 97-99 is a tad more reliable and def safer but it doesn't feel as special.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:11 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Originally Posted by XJeep99Classic
97-99 is a tad more reliable and def safer but it doesn't feel as special.
Incorrect you are sir... renix's last longer. And I'm not biased... I own a 97
Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: i6

just so you dont have to search, im bored
http://www.allpar.com/old/high-miles/richey.php
Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Default I know they are all good rigs.

So is there a major difference in the Renix compared to the HO? other than the slight HP. Do either of the rigs break more often than the other. transfercases, transmission, ect.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Go for the Renix, the worlds highest mileage Cherokee is a Renix....
Could that be because they're older and been around longer?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 AM

Same here.... My Cherokee has the same buttons on the dash as my parents Chrysler minivans had while I was growing up... I like 96 and earlier, especially 94 and earlier for nostalgic reasons. 97-99 is a tad more reliable and def safer but it doesn't feel as special.
where did you receive this info?

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
Incorrect you are sir... renix's last longer. And I'm not biased... I own a 97
this is ^. only complaint I get is you can plug in a scan tool to receive codes. but thats simple to get around.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by xjbeadlocks

where did you receive this info?

this is ^. only complaint I get is you can plug in a scan tool to receive codes. but thats simple to get around.
Look at crash tests conducted by the NHTSA and IIHS.... 94 and earlier had no airbags, 96 and earlier only had one. I have 29 spline 8.25, earlier ones only had 27 spline... Chrysler strengthened the block in 97. That's just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

if renix = simple
and me = simpleton
then simple + simpleton = easy
Old 02-07-2012, 06:41 PM
CF Veteran

Default Pictures

I did not realize the Pictures were not here. Which XJ should I Purchase?-img_2450.jpg

Which XJ should I Purchase?-img_2398.jpg
Old 02-07-2012, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0

Defiantly like the black 88' more, not only cause I have one not trying to be bias but also the tire-lift ratio looks better and I like that the bumpers are not cut on it. And you still have the bad-**** 4x4 badge!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
Defiantly like the black 88' more, not only cause I have one not trying to be bias but also the tire-lift ratio looks better and I like that the bumpers are not cut on it. And you still have the bad-**** 4x4 badge!
I Agree it looks better. Tires are not an issue. My GF manages a Tire shop so I will get a major discount on the swampers that I will put on which one I buy. I am leaning towards the Green it has A/C and newer but its gonna be a tough decision.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Seasoned Member

O love when people argue about renix vs HO vs 97+. Ive had a renix and now i have a 98. BOTH have never had issues. they are the same thing in a nutshell. They BOTH are VERY reliable. That being said, If i were you i would look at them both, see what one has a better lift, like full pack and coil vs shackle and spacer. Also, they both have death wobble, BUT only the black one has a roaring rear axle.

Quick Reply: Which XJ should I Purchase?