Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ABS kick in at low speed, is there any solution?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 03:23 AM
pwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default ABS kick in at low speed, is there any solution?

Hi, i have asked the question before, and i have search the web. When i have ABS relays in (ABS active), when the car slows down to really low speed the ABS starts when i use the brakes, that cause a problem to stop the car, its seems to be on left front wheel. Many have the same problem, but i cant see any fix to it. Its a ZJ 1993 4.0L. The ABS function ok in normal/high speed, its only right before the car stops ABS starts to have fun. But shouldnt the ABS be inactive at realy low speed?

I cant see any craks, but could a crack in the tone wheel do this?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:30 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Not sure what exactly you're asking about. ABS is anti-lock brake system. Unless you've modified or disabled it, it's activated as soon as you drive a few feet (or reach a certain speed). It doesn't matter how fast or slow you're driving, the system prevents the tires from skidding by disabling the brake on any wheel that stops turning.
Sorry if I misunderstand your problem, but after reading your post several times, I still don't understand it for sure.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:52 PM
pwb

if i drive at 5 km/h and want to stop, i cant since the abs starts to work. i need 2–3 times longer place to stop than wihout abs, and this is on solid ground, not snow or ice. its only on realy low speed. its not related to skidding, its all the time, right before the car should stop, abs kicks in and make me use some more meters to stop.

Last edited by pwb; 03-31-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by pwb
if i drive at 5 km/h and want to stop, i cant since the abs starts to work. i need 2–3 times longer place to stop than wihout abs, and this is on solid ground, not snow or ice. its only on realy low speed. its not related to skidding, its all the time, right before the car should stop, abs kicks in and make me use some more meters to stop.
I had a 96 that did the same thing. I sold the jeep before getting it fixed, but at the time I read that a faulty ABS wheel sensor or a wheel sensor that was out of adjustment was probably the cause. I read somewhere that a guy tested one of his wheel sensors and it was fine at higher speeds, but cut out at lower speeds (thus engaging ABS). You might also check the teeth on the ABS gears to make sure no teeth are missing or clogged with rust, but it's probably a sensor issue. Good Luck, I know it's annoying!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Also a build of of brake material (drum & rotor metal dust) can mess with the signal. Check and clean off the sensors and see if that changes anything.

Miles
Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

My old explorer did this same thing. Braking while driving was fine but the abs would activate at low speeds and it wouldn't stop properly. I pulled the fuse as a temporary solution then replaced the sensor later on and that fixed it just fine. I'm not sure how the abs is on these but when I replaced it the sensor was more expensive than the entire hub assembly that had a sensor included on it. Lol
Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 AM
pwb

ok, new sensors ordered :-)
Old 04-03-2013, 05:50 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: V6 4.0 LITER
Default my 2 cents

on my 97 gc 4.OL the vss (vehicle speed sensor) is also tied in to the individual wheel speed sensors in the abs system. have you looked at each of the rotors and drums on your jeep? if you have a worn rotor, or even warped rotor, it can cause your wheel speed sensor to act up as well. since the sensors are so expensive, i would check out the front rotors and rear drums, before i dropped all that money. try to narrow it down to whether it's the front or rear sensors acting up. if one is bad, the other one to the pair is probably on it's last leg as well.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 PM

does your cruise control still work?
Old 04-04-2013, 03:20 PM
pwb

Yes, cruise controller works.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:07 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I don't know what the regulations are in Norway, but here in NY, abs is not required for vehicle inspection. I pulled the fuse on mine when it started giving me trouble on my 97 ZJ. The warning light was annoying for a while until I removed it. JMO.

I was told I needed to replace the accuater unit for about $300.

Last edited by dave1123; 04-06-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:28 AM
pwb

Originally Posted by dave1123
I don't know what the regulations are in Norway, but here in NY, abs is not required for vehicle inspection. I pulled the fuse on mine when it started giving me trouble on my 97 ZJ. The warning light was annoying for a while until I removed it. JMO.

I was told I needed to replace the accuater unit for about $300.
I dont know if it must work, but i have taken out the fuses so there isnt any light, so i think it will pass. But i did get new front sensors from Rockauto, 2 days from US to my door in Norway :-) So i hope that would fix it.
Its ok do drive without the ABS, but it would have been nice to fix it. I dont know if this have something to say, but the ABS kick in a a litle higher speed if i take a sharp left turn (still way under 10 km/h), i think it also have done that without using the brake at all, is that possible, isnt the ABS connected to the brake so if i dont use them, the ABS shouldnt work?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by pwb
Hi, i have asked the question before, and i have search the web. When i have ABS relays in (ABS active), when the car slows down to really low speed the ABS starts when i use the brakes, that cause a problem to stop the car, its seems to be on left front wheel. Many have the same problem, but i cant see any fix to it. Its a ZJ 1993 4.0L. The ABS function ok in normal/high speed, its only right before the car stops ABS starts to have fun. But shouldnt the ABS be inactive at realy low speed?

I cant see any craks, but could a crack in the tone wheel do this?
Buy a vehicle without ABS? I find the system limiting, anyhow.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Due to Federal regulation, I doubt you can find one today without ABS.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by dave1123
Due to Federal regulation, I doubt you can find one today without ABS.
Which is why I don't like newer vehicles. Can't find a vehicle these days without DRL - Federal Reg. Nevermind that DRL has been shown to not help (and, as a result of 100% DRL, we now have those buggardly "flickering" DRLs on motorcycles that I just want to run over.)

ESP/"Roll Control"? How about learning to drive?

I know that the widespread use of automatics isn't up to Federal regs - that's sheer laziness. I happen to like driving a stick.

For the first 10 years or so they were used, airbags in vehicles are more dangerous to me than most collisions that would deploy them (I'm too tall & too heavy.) But, I gotta have them - for some asinine reason.

A good chunk of 46CFR Part I - Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards can probably be made "optional" or redacted entirely out of hand, with no negative effects.

Don't get me started on regs - the bad thing about them is that they're effectively set in stone - remember the last time Congress would admit they were wrong? Or came up with a stupid, useless idea?

Yeah. Neither do I.

Quick Reply: ABS kick in at low speed, is there any solution?