Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

99 Jeep Grand Cherokee dying at complete stops.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee dying at complete stops.

My 99 Jeep for some reason dies on me when I come to a stop. The only way I seem to prevent this is if I throw it in to neutral soon enough. I don't know if this matters but I sometimes have to put the car in neutral then put it back in park before it starts. The car has a new battery, new head gaskets, new fuel pump and filter, new throttle sensor, and a new crank shaft. I was told by a Jeep dealership that gas was flooding my engine which was making it stall and to replace the throttle sensor and fuel pump nope still stalling. So if anyone has any idea of what the problem is PLEASE HELP. More money has been put in to the car than it's worth now .
Old 01-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to the forum! If you can't find the answer here, nobody has one. The people here are great! Try searching the posts and I'm sure you can find anything you need to know. I personaly can't help with this one, but I'm sure someone will.

I realize the point at which you say "Have I spent too much money already?" is too late. At least you know what it "isn't"!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Welcome to the forum! If you can't find the answer here, nobody has one. The people here are great! Try searching the posts and I'm sure you can find anything you need to know. I personaly can't help with this one, but I'm sure someone will.

I realize the point at which you say "Have I spent too much money already?" is too late. At least you know what it "isn't"!
Yeah I know it's a lot of nots lol. I really love my Jeep and don't want to give it up but this darn problem is being so elusive.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

could be a dirty IAC but i woud like to think a jeep tech would have looked at that cheap of a part already

also it might could be the torque converter not unlocking when you stop but I dont have much knowledge on that
Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by biggoofy
could be a dirty IAC but i woud like to think a jeep tech would have looked at that cheap of a part already

also it might could be the torque converter not unlocking when you stop but I dont have much knowledge on that
Thank you. I'll talk to my mechanic and have those checked. I really don't think the service department at Jeep did their job they just wanted to charge me a bunch of money.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

I would have to agree with BigGoofy ( sorry buddy, I cant say that with a straight face).

How many miles are on the engine/transmission? If the torque converter lock-up mechanism is bad it will kill your engine when in drive and lead to difficulty starting the engine.

Here is why. A faulty Lock-up torque Converter will act like a car with a clutch that you forgot to push in the clutch on when you came to a stop. The lockup clutch engages to supply a no slip condition inside the convertor to make a true 1:1 connection. When it engages, the clutch directly contacts the convertor housing on the inside, allowing no slip. So when it sticks, it will not allow slip when you try to stop, as it is still engaged to the convertor housing thereby killing your engine unless you put it in nuetral.

Now, I would have to also say that you don't hear of too many Jeep Torque Converters going bad. I believe that you have a seized or faulty TCC Solenoid. This is the Torque Converter Control switch that manages the locking and unlocking of the torque converter. It is a fairly simple repair, a simple part replacement, however if have no experience it would be best to have a reputable shop, not a dealership perform this service as it requires removal of the transmission oil pan and all of the steps associated with that.

Good Luck
Old 01-06-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95

If its actually flooding or running rich and dying, I would also check the MAP sensor and vac line to the map. Make sure the vac line is not cracked or restricted.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:35 PM

My car has a lil more than 150720mi on it.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:52 PM

I'm on board with the TCC switch it sounds like a locked up converter. If you paid at the dealership to have this issue fixed and there repair didn't fix it you should go back to them and talk to the service manager. That repair should be refunded and they ought to diag it again for free. Just complain loud enough and tell them you'll call better business and Chrysler corporate. Don't let that money go to waste all dealerships warranty there repairs and if they didn't fix it it's on them.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:57 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L6

sounds like a problem in your CPU, i had simular issues with my 97 ZJ.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:45 AM

This is my first post here so maybe itll be a good one. Was looking for a solution to a grand cherokee i just bought...lol and ran across your post. I had an 89 YJ with the same issue except it was a manual transmission. When I came to a stop and pushed the clutch in it would die unless I revved the engine in time. Was very annoying. It ended up being a vacuum leak on the intake manifold. The intake and exhaust manifold are inline and there was a leak somewhere there causing it. Try spraying a little wd-40 or carb cleaner around the intake and any vacuum hoses and see if the engine revs. Good luck hope this helps.

Last edited by copacetic; 01-07-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you do what is being said use carb cleaner not wd40 and I would really like to think that vac lines would have been looked at long before replacing all of these parts
Old 01-07-2011, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Your Idle Air Control motor is failing, replace it and be done with it.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Nice call, Bustedback! I'll agree with that! Any sudden throttle return to idle will result in an over-rich condition unless compensated by the air control system. I believe the injectors are controlled by the CPU which recieves information from the throttle position sensor among other things.
(Also, maybe I'm wrong!)

Just thinking. My Chevy truck was doing the same thing until I unplugged the lock-up plug. No lockup didn't seem to hurt gas mileage that much, although it wasn't good anyhow!

Last edited by dave1123; 01-07-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Your Idle Air Control motor is failing, replace it and be done with it.
Thank you. And referring to a different post I forgot to mention that the computer has also been re flashed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee dying at complete stops.