Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

99 GCL 4.7 dies, won't restart til cool

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 GCL 4.7 dies, won't restart til cool

I tried a search and couldn't find this specific problem, but if I missed it, please link me to it.

1999 GCL with 4.7 and 180K or so on the engine.

In retrospect, I realize this problem has been in the making for a few months. Last October, I was going 65 and stopped for a light. The engine sputtered a moment then died. I cranked it up, but it didn't start as fast as usual, but it did start. Since then, it'd idle fine at a stoplight, then shudder and die. More cranks than usual got it going again.

Last week, it wouldn't start. I noticed the gas gauge and others NOT actuating when I turned on the key. 40 minutes after it died, I turned the key, gauges sprang to life and I started the car easily. I replaced the ignition switch.

Yesterday, same issue. Later the same day, the engine died as if a switch was flipped. No stuttering, just dead. Coasted to the median. Waited s bit, turned the key, gauges came on, so I cranked it up. 5 seconds into the cranking, the gauges died. 20 minutes later, it started. Made it home, but I won't drive it again til I fix it.

The fixes I find online center around the PCM, but the one that's shown to be fixable isn't the one I have.

I'm in process of installing a CPS, but I just know it's some stupid simple arcane fix

Any insight?

Last edited by David E; 07-04-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You problem sounds like an intermittent total power failure. This can be from a bad supply wire to the Power Distribution Center (fuse/relay box under the hood). I'd look for a corroded wire where it comes out of the terminal end or battery clamp. I say that because of the erratic gauges. Low voltage to the systems can cause a bunch of weird stuff to happen, such as the PCM to shut down.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:40 AM

The radio and other things don't lose power, just the cluster.

I see no corroded wiring.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by David E

I just know it's some stupid simple arcane fix
And so it was!

Thanks to Dave1123 for being the ONLY person to respond to my post.

The problem even has a recall about it. I'm surprised in all my searching I never found any mention of it.

I also don't see how it could cause the symptoms it did, but it did.

In retrospect, it's probably good no one else responded, because all the advice would've been wrong and would've cost me more money replacing things that didn't need to be replaced. I spent enough money already doing that.

But the fix was free and now it runs perfectly again. I'll just chalk up the parts I replaced as preventative maintenance.

The problem was the Crankshaft Position Sensor CONNECTOR.

The insulation on all three wires was MISSING about 3/4" above the connector. The bare copper wires were all entangled with each other. I didn't see that the first time I handled it because it was taped and covered with oil and grease.

THERE IS A FACTORY RECALL ON THIS ISSUE

I was able to insulate the wires and got it fixed, but I'll be having the dealer redo it. I'll also get a refund for the factory CKS I bought.

Hope this helps someone. I was 3 weeks without a car because no one had posted this before.

The recall seems to only cover the sensor, not the connector. I'll see what the dealer says.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/recall_c12_letter.pdf

Last edited by David E; 07-20-2016 at 10:46 AM.