Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 XJ not idling smooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1999 XJ not idling smooth

I recently got back into an XJ. The last one I had was an '87 model that I bought around 1990, it had 70k on it when I got it, I sold it at 140K and the only thing I had done to it was change the alternator and punched out the catalytic convertor. Fast forward to right before Christmas '15, bought the bone stock '99, knowing that it needed some work. So far I have replaced:

-Radiator/cooling fan/thermostat
-Steering column from JY/clock spring on the old one was bad
-Battery
-Plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, air filter
-Brake line going to the back brakes

The brake and check engine lights are on. As to the brake light, I'm thinking that there may be air in the system, even though I thought I had bled the lines sufficiently. The Jeep runs great, the only problem is that it has a very rough idle at roughly 600-700 rpm. My mechanic put the code reader on it and it comes back with '#1 cylinder misfire'. I did remove the TPS and cleaned it, and it started and ran perfect for a short time, and the check engine light went off. But, after starting it a few times (idling perfect) it wouldn't start at all unless I poured the fuel to it, this went on for a short period of time (maybe after starting it 4-5 times) then all of a sudden the check engine light comes back on and it goes back to starting/running fine, but the rough idle was back. I haven't had the compression or the fuel pressure checked, but I am going to do that next. What really puzzles me is that after cleaning the TPS, the first few times it started up and idled perfect and the check engine light went off. Hopefully I have provided enough information, and any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...
Old 03-21-2016, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

How did you clean the TPS? Solvents, or even getting it wet will ruin it. I'd grab a replacement from the nearest Chrysler dealer.

Do you know what code is set with the CEL?

Air in the brake lines- is the pedal spongy? Sometimes the differential switch that trips the brake light gets stuck after work is done. Stomping the pedal hard 5-6 times usually resets it.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:16 AM

I actually watched a YT video, and the girl who was doing the repair cleaned it with solvent/carb cleaner. When I pulled mine it didn't seem that dirty, so I just wiped it clean with a rag, just weird how it started right up and idled perfectly afterwards, before it didn't want to start at all. But I believe you are right and a replacement TPS is in order. As to the brakes, they are fine, good stiff pedal, and I thought I bled them well, started on the right rear and made my way around, then did it again. I have been thinking that it might be a switch. Thanks for your input!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:36 PM

CEL? Is that the code from the reader? If so, I'm not sure, all I know is that it's a #1 cylinder misfire.