Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 Cherokee Laredo Tranny Problems..

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy 96 Cherokee Laredo Tranny Problems..

This morning heading into work I realized I have a potentially serious issue. My jeep was running, the RPM's would rev up but the jeep would stay stationary. I couldn't reverse either. It started out fine, then I couldn't pass 50, shortly after that 40. It got to where I couldn't pass 15 mph for maybe a minute or two and then it just wouldn't go anywhere.
My coworker and I had just checked the tranny fluid and it has a few black streaks in it, but I say it was just from his hands, (we work in a mill). Then this happened. For a few weeks I was having small issues starting off. I would put my car into gear and it would feel like it jumped forward kicking in and then it would go. Sometimes the take off was smooth, other times it would act like it was sticking and couldn't shift into gear, jump a bit and then it would transition to the next gear. I believe it is between 1-2 because it is when I am first "getting going". I had plans to drop it off to the shop today because I needed an alignment anyways but I didn't make it that far. Coworker said he doesn't think it is the transmission completely because the oil wasn't that bad but maybe something surrounding it like a plug or cable/cord. Any suggestions?

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6 cylinder 4 wheel drive
Old 03-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

My honest opinion is it's toast, but get it checked out by a trans shop for pressure checks. Did you check the fluid level idling in neutral? It reads high in park. Check the fluid by smelling it. If it smells burnt or feels gritty, that's clutch material. The fluid should be clear enough to read the stick thru it.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I have an update. After work, my co worker and I stopped at the jeep so he could look at it. Noticed that the dipstick for the tranny oil doesn't seem to be sealing properly. (When pushing it in, it springs back at you a little bit.) and Also the kick down cable (first cable in the set of three I have, where the second is for cruise control) is also very stiff. Co worker said he should be able to push down on that cable and have it spring back up where mine you have to push it with a pair of pliars and then you have to push it back up. He thinks it might also have broken underneath. Not sure if this would fix the problem but when he was playing with those cables we were able to get the jeep to go in reverse and not just sit there like it was in neutral. If we cant do anything today after work with it then I guess it will have to be hauled over to the garage. Here's to learning and hoping to get the problem fixed.