Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

95 zj turn signal fuse issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 95 zj turn signal fuse issue

First off 95 zj with a 4.0 and tow package.

I keep blowing my fuse for the turn signals only when I turn left or put my flashers on. Sometimes the fuse will last for awhile sometimes as soon as I turn left. This happened before and then went away for a long time. It has now returned.
I've gone through and disconnected all the turn signals and it will still blow, I've ripped the dash apart and traced the harness to find a short, no such thing. The relay has been replaced as well.
I replaced the switch on the steering column and it still blew so I returned the switch(I did this a few months ago) and reinstalled my old one.

The bulbs in the Guage cluster are also in good shape. The trailer harness has also been gone over.

At this point I'm at the end of my rope I don't know what else could be causing this issue or something simple I might be looking over.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:03 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

One thing that you might not have thought of is the trailer lighting module. Not the harness, but the module itself. Try bypassing it and see if it still blows the fuse.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dave1123
One thing that you might not have thought of is the trailer lighting module. Not the harness, but the module itself. Try bypassing it and see if it still blows the fuse.
I unplugged the harness part that has 3 relays on it that is located in the rear passenger fender well.

Or should I be looking for something else.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check the trailer plug wiring, could have a spot worn through and grounding out.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:37 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Check the trailer plug wiring, could have a spot worn through and grounding out.
That's already be gone over.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Check the wiring behind the rear interior panels ? When I installed the bracing for my swing away tire carrier I found all kinds of crapola in there with the wires.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:45 PM
Old fart with a wrench

You might want to check the wiring where it goes along the floor in the back seat area. My 97 ZJ had the Infinity Gold amplifier under the rear seat and the wiring in that area was a rat's nest of splices and electrical tape. IDK what all was in that harness, but I left it alone for fear of disturbing something that still worked! There was a hole rusted in the floor there too.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

My 97 ZJ had the Infinity Gold amplifier under the rear seat and the wiring in that area was a rat's nest of splices and electrical tape. There was a hole rusted in the floor there too.

Just one more count of how blessed I am with my new Jeep. My Infinity system is all original and works great. Strong Highs and deep Lows. Super clean wiring, and no floor board rust, anywhere.

Sorry i sound like an @$$, but i dont mean it.

MAJOR EDIT: sorry i jacked your thread.

Last edited by IStoleIt; 04-10-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

I guess i could contribute a little too.

You seem to be very involved in the DIY/troubleshooting, if it is something you can manage is it worth just rewiring that turn signal circuit? You could run the wires from the Fuse panel through the Firewall to the Dash. Then under the Door panel Trim and the floor to the trunk.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by IStoleIt
I guess i could contribute a little too.

You seem to be very involved in the DIY/troubleshooting, if it is something you can manage is it worth just rewiring that turn signal circuit? You could run the wires from the Fuse panel through the Firewall to the Dash. Then under the Door panel Trim and the floor to the trunk.

Good luck.
I've really been considering this. I think once this semester is over I'll be able to go into everything.
Originally Posted by IStoleIt
Just one more count of how blessed I am with my new Jeep. My Infinity system is all original and works great. Strong Highs and deep Lows. Super clean wiring, and no floor board rust, anywhere.

Sorry i sound like an @$$, but i dont mean it.

MAJOR EDIT: sorry i jacked your thread.
All good lol
You might want to check the wiring where it goes along the floor in the back seat area. My 97 ZJ had the Infinity Gold amplifier under the rear seat and the wiring in that area was a rat's nest of splices and electrical tape. IDK what all was in that harness, but I left it alone for fear of disturbing something that still worked! There was a hole rusted in the floor there too.
I've unplugged that harness were it goes into the main harness to rule it out.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:51 PM
Old fart with a wrench

My brain has been simmering on this for awhile. Have you checked the wiring harness on the steering column? On other vehicles I've seen the wiring get pinched by the tilt wheel. I've also seen problems with the wiring getting pinched by the brake pedal linkage. I know you said you checked all that. I'm on the other end of this internet connection and my eyesight is limited.LOL!
Old 04-11-2016, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

My brain has been simmering on this for awhile. Have you checked the wiring harness on the steering column? On other vehicles I've seen the wiring get pinched by the tilt wheel. I've also seen problems with the wiring getting pinched by the brake pedal linkage. I know you said you checked all that. I'm on the other end of this internet connection and my eyesight is limited.LOL!
I had that apart a few days ago. I will check the steering wheel harness again. Maybe see if it blows when the wheel is in a different position.

Last time I had this issue, I had gone offroading and really beat on it and whatever wire must have shifted. I just wish I knew which one.