Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power Window Switch Light Won't Turn Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Power Window Switch Light Won't Turn Off

Hello everyone,

I've been struggling with an issue on my 1999 XJ. I'm sure everyone who has power windows knows that when you turn the headlights on, a green backlight turns on behind the power window switches. My problem is, on the front driver and front passenger side, these lights are constantly on. It continually drained my battery, so I was forced to pull the fuse which powers the switches. This solved the battery drain issue and killed the lights, but without the fuse I have no power windows. That wasn't a problem over the winter in Oregon, but now its 85 degrees and my car is an inferno whenever I drive it. Someone suggested that I just cut the wire feeding power to the light, but I'm a little apprehensive to start cutting wires without knowing fully what I'm doing.

Does anyone have any solutions for this? I've considered taking the power window box out and removing the tiny screws to get inside of it to see if I can just pull the bulbs, but again there may be a simpler solution that I may not know about.

Any suggestions would be awesome! Thank you all in advance.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:15 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

the driver door window switch is supplied power at all times, with the fuse in of course. The problem is in the switch itself.....the contacts are worn or sticking or the circuit board is bad in the switch assembly, which is also feeding the passenger front door window switch. If you remove the switch assembly from the driver door and unplug it the passenger side back light will go off in the switch.....if so...replace the driver door window switch
Old 02-25-2018, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

So I’m having this problem but it’s because i got swamped last night and was sitting in water up to my seats anyone have any idea on why all day it was fine and then i went to just in my Jeep and start it and it was dead i noticed the light for my power window on my driver side was on and my lock switch light was on on my passenger side obviously that’s what killed my battery i unplugged the clips that run those so my battery doesn’t die but does anyone know how i could go about fix it drying it out or anything