Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2005 Jeep Cherokee - Crank but No Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2005 Jeep Cherokee - Crank but No Start Issue

2005 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4
Automatic Transmission 145,000 miles
3.7L V6

The vehicle was a repo, then was stolen, then recovered. The fuel pump was stolen, the pressurized fuel line to the rail was cut, the HID headlamps and ballasts were stolen, the steering column was torn apart as well. I think that is mostly everything.

So, I put a new fuel pump in it, and put a new fuel supply line in up to the rail. Put gas in it, wouldn't start. Cranks, no start. Have plenty of fuel pressure that the rail, and injectors are pulsing according to my pulse lights.

Replaced crank and camshaft position sensor due to weak/bad output signals. Scanned and got a code for the electronic shifting module. All that was wrong (visually) was that the shifter wouldn't come out of D and N to go to R and P, so I took the cover off, and there was a safety feature (metal bar) that was keeping it from coming up, like it should only be there while moving to prevent upshifting to R or P while moving. Moved it out of the way, and it came out of a bind, and started working again flawlessly.

Will crank and crank and crank. Have fuel pressure. Have air flow. Have spark. Have injector pulse. I'm not sure what I'm missing here, but it won't start. Like I said, it was stolen and a repo, so who knows what kind of malicious crap someone has done to it.

Also, the security light (red light) comes on for a few seconds on key turn, then goes off, also stays on when cranking. Check engine light also flashes after it fails starting. Not getting any codes other than the electronic shift module, a transmission temperature sensor (P0701) and a BTSI Circuit (don't know what that is P0930) but as far as I can tell with my scan tool, there is nothing here that should be preventing it from starting. I can't check the immobilizer (WCM?) with my scan tool, so I don't know if that could be it, but like I said the security light doesn't stay on.

Any help or brainstorming sessions are welcome, and I will check back fairly often to update until problem is fixed. Also, already checked all fuses and relays (they stole all of those too...ALL of them, so I had to use diagrams to replace all fuses with proper amperage and relays).
Old 06-18-2014, 08:35 AM

bump

Ideas, anyone?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like an expensive nightmare to fix. Why didn't the insurance company total it?
Old 06-18-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Sounds like an expensive nightmare to fix. Why didn't the insurance company total it?
I have been messing with it and I now have spark, fuel, injector pulse, and signals from my crank and camshaft positioning sensors.

Something electronic has to be preventing it from actually starting and running. These are all the things needed.

Also, have compression and plenty of fuel pressure.