Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1998 Cherokee Stalling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry 1998 Cherokee Stalling Issues

I have a 1998 with approx. 116,000 miles. All has been good except now it has this stalling out issue. It will stall out on a dime and there is no warning it just quits in the middle of the road. I have put a gas treatment in and drove it 300 miles with only a little bit of a sign that it was getting rough but it did not quit on me. Days later it just stopped one night. After about 15 minutes it started back up. Engine light was on. Had it towed to a shop. Diagnostics first showed Computer issue then when reset it showed Thermostat. The thermostat is stuck open. I have had the Converter replaced and a rebuilt rear end put in about 6 months ago because they both went out. Any ideas on the stalling issues? Trying not to start replacing everything and then find out none of that will fix it.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:28 PM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Just to clarify, is this a 4.0 Cherokee, or is this a Grand Cherokee 4.0 or 5.2/5.9?

A sudden shutdown is likely an electrical issue with a sensor, or damaged connection anywhere. Are there any other behavior problems besides the shutting off? Rough idle, excessive smoke in the exhaust, lack of power? Will it restart immediately, or does it just crank and crank? Any lights on the dash, while running, or trying to restart?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

First off, Leigh Ann, welcome to CF! The information FletchFL just asked for is important in trying to diagnose your problem and your location is important so we know what temperatures we're working with. Different Jeeps have different problems.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by fletchFL
Just to clarify, is this a 4.0 Cherokee, or is this a Grand Cherokee 4.0 or 5.2/5.9?

Sorry I forgot to tell you it is a 4.0

A sudden shutdown is likely an electrical issue with a sensor, or damaged connection anywhere. Are there any other behavior problems besides the shutting off? Rough idle, excessive smoke in the exhaust, lack of power? Will it restart immediately, or does it just crank and crank? Any lights on the dash, while running, or trying to restart?
Hey thanks for replying.
I live in Texas and when I started having the issue was right after I had triple A jump it off one day at work because some how the inside panel light was left on. It started just fine that morning went to work came out to lunch and it was dead. The lights all worked etc just would not start. Had Triple A jump it off battery was good and when I started it it sounded horrible right then it was real rough it has never done that.
The temps here are well .... It is Texas. that day it was cold outside.
Like I said it only has 116,000 miles on it. I bought it from a teacher so it has been very well taken care of. I have owned it for about 7 years I guess.
My son is a mechanic but is learning still. He has it where he is working but I believe is going to have it moved to another shop where he has a friend that has more experience. I am desperate here to not spend $1000's of dollars as I put in a new rear end about 5 months ago and new converter. That was 1800.00.
Where do I start? It is so dangerous to drive because you never know when it is going to just quit on you. It can be fine for days and then it just quits acts like it runs out of gas but it isn't. I have put a fuel treatment in the tank that did not do it.
Sorry such a long response.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by fletchFL

Hey I have replaced the Fuel Pump, Crank Sensor, Ignition Coil, full tune up has been done. Fuel Filter. It is still stalling out on me. It is a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 116,000 miles it has taken me all this time to get all this done to it. I took it to a dealer and had them come back with 1200.00 worth of work multiple items and said the issue was the ignition coil. Well that was not it I had the work done at a very good shop instead to save money. I have had all of this replaced and I do not know where to go from here. Seems this is a common issue with the 1998 and 1999 models? Except no one has a common fix.
Any help would be appreciated. I am so afraid to drive it because I never know when it is going to die on me or if it will start again.
Thank You!
Leigh Ann