Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "My wife doesn't give a ****"

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Project "My wife doesn't give a ****"

So holy crap here we go, I don't know what happened but the jeep gods have graced me with their presence and presented me with my new baby from their bosom. I have wanted a Jeep Cherokee since i can remember, well that and a Ford F150.

07 Ford F150 4.6L. 2in leveling kit. 33in nitto graplers. Other stupid things. My best friend Marley a Labrador Retriever.

So back to the sweet sweet nector from the jeep gods fat bosom. (Ps I am in the army so Im watching my toungue on here but if one person tells me to go for it I will because thats how i am. Fat bosom is not what I wanted to say) Id been looking on craigslist for awhile now and found a 2000 cherokee with amazing records and everything I was looking for. So my wife, the kids and I drove down to Nashville and the *** stain blew us off. So we stopped at Oprey Mall and I was on craigslist trying to save the day and found a 88 Cherokee with 247,XXX and i was ehhhh okay. He was asking 1500 for it yet it ran and drove, so we went to look at the pos. We show up and start looking and out of no where BAM!!! ATF starts flowing from what at the time seemed like its *** because of the amount. Hold on to your seats it was the bellhousing. I looked at chief and chief looked at me and I stated well it ain't 1500 no more. He says he'll take 800 and I state can you get it to my house. He says deal and a week later its here today. Lets looks at pictures and get a chub why dont we.

So the jeep arrived tonight and I had to start working on it of course . I found everything from a marble counter to spit bottles and $5 in change hell yea Im going ape **** by this point. So far heres what I can tell you I love the look of older cherokees so this is great but it has its problems.
The BAD
Trans fluid coming out of bell housing
Random *** rust/paint doing weird voodoo ****
stupid decals (already removed)
Windows and locks work about as well as telling your 99yr old granny to run 2mi
window tint is shot
tires are shot
fluid bottles under hood involve zipties
floor pans have holes
exaust has holes
thats about it i think.............

The GOOD
2.5in lift (rustys offroad stickers on rear window? ill look tomorrow for inden)
31in tires without cut fenders
IT RUNSSSSSSS

Thats all for now I will update tomorrow beings that my wife is on 24 ops during my 3 day weekend. So just me and the kids......
Old 02-27-2016, 01:47 PM

So just a little update from yesterday. Wife is still at work so the kids and I went to run a bunch of different errands. We stopped off at autozone and bought a ton of parts. Im going to do a complete fluid exchange. I got coolant for a flush, oil change, all 3 seals for the leak coming from the bellhousing (pump seal, input shaft seal, torque converter seal), transmission fluid, diff seals front and rear, gear oil, trans pan gasket, trans filter, wheel cylinder (drivers side rear is leaking). I also forgot to mention this last night but the jeep also came with no keys what so ever. I bought a new ignition cylinder and 4 lock door cylinders (guess i have one extra just in case). Also yes it does start with no keys lol.

Pcv valve is a piece of junk to so ill be replacing that. Also Ive got a crap ton of wiring to go through from amp chords to a ***** show of baja lights and a electric fan.

Seats are shot due to the fact they wont recline forward but ill deal with that later. Also the head unit and speakers are junk ( What'd this guy do buy and put together a half ***** system? lol

Also picked up a floor jack, trans jack(due to the fact if this seal fix doesnt work I best just have one). Hood light also. And yes i went to harbor freight so shoot me I suppose.

The grand total for all of this was $214. SCORE in my opinion! Cheaper than i was expecting.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Great deal...hope you get the trans deal fixed...
I shop harbor freight non stop....great tools!!! From my experience.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0

While you're under the hood. Do yourself a favor and remove the C101 connector on the driver's side firewall. It connects all the sensors to the ecu and after 28 years the electric grease they used has turned to tar and resists a good connection. Just clip and solder one wire at a time. It made a significant difference with mine and one less headache. Cruiser54's tips are like the Renix's Bible when it comes to troubleshooting. Looks like it's been converted to an open cooling system, that can be a plus depending on how you look at it.

Last edited by unidentifiedbomb; 02-27-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by SHILKEY

I alsmost lost it when I saw this face. nice dog you have there, and XJ for that matter! older body style all the way!
Old 02-27-2016, 05:44 PM

Year: 1996
Default Jeep meme??

Originally Posted by Cane
I alsmost lost it when I saw this face. nice dog you have there, and XJ for that matter! older body style all the way!
Dog: We had a good run, you and I...
Old 02-27-2016, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by 88whitecomanche
Great deal...hope you get the trans deal fixed...
I shop harbor freight non stop....great tools!!! From my experience.
Hell yea man i look up reviews on youtube. If im trying to buy it somebody else already did lol
Old 02-27-2016, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by LasVegastwo
Dog: We had a good run, you and I...
Thank you gentlemen lol. My wife and i both laughed
Old 02-27-2016, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
While you're under the hood. Do yourself a favor and remove the C101 connector on the driver's side firewall. It connects all the sensors to the ecu and after 28 years the electric grease they used has turned to tar and resists a good connection. Just clip and solder one wire at a time. It made a significant difference with mine and one less headache. Cruiser54's tips are like the Renix's Bible when it comes to troubleshooting. Looks like it's been converted to an open cooling system, that can be a plus depending on how you look at it.
Ill look into that down the road boss but i do agree and appreciate the help. Now help me out a bit here though what is an open cooling opposed to a "closed cooling" system?
Old 02-27-2016, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SHILKEY

Ill look into that down the road boss but i do agree and appreciate the help. Now help me out a bit here though what is an open cooling opposed to a "closed cooling" system?
Closed system has no rad cap. Just a resovour bottle where your current overflow bottle is. Its easier to work on an open system but a good system will run cold either open or closed.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:18 PM

Closed system has no rad cap. Just a resovour bottle where your current overflow bottle is. Its easier to work on an open system but a good system will run cold either open or closed.
Now can this still be achieved with a normal radiator because i do have a cap on mine. Also what does a "good system will run cold either open or closed" mean or half to do with what were talking about? i dont mean to hassle you with questions, im just extremely willing to learn.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

As in a maintained system will keep the engine steady between 200-210 degrees on the XJ 4.0.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:57 AM

As in a maintained system will keep the engine steady between 200-210 degrees on the XJ 4.0.
Thanks man I get what your saying now.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:12 AM

So just when there was hope all was lost. We finished pulling the trans out sunday night, and I then took it to my transmission guy (O yea I got a transmission guy lol joking). I called up A&H Transmission and they said they'd look at it for free, so Id have to be an idiot to atleast just get it looked at. The instant the guy see's it he says its trashed. Now when we dropped the trans we could see the input shaft seal was blown but wait there's MORE! The input bearing welded itself to the torque converter and shredded the teeth on the in put shaft. So I'll be taking all my parts back trans wise and start looking for another.

Can anybody help me determine which front axle I have. I torn between the Dana 30 and the AMC 35

Trans finally out, I still had hope here.......

Garage is trashed better get some kitty litter.

Input seal blown, hope still exists.

Cover plate blown out.

Pulled the rear diff cover last night after the news about the trans.

Diff fluid looks like mud.

Gear teeth look clean and no big metal pieces floating around.

Im also torn on this one too. No tags on either one. I believe this is either a 8.25 or also an AMC 35?
Old 03-01-2016, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

All 4wd Cherokees came with D30s up front. Looks like someone swapped an c8.25 in the rear as they were not an option in the '80s. c8.25s came in 27 and 29 splines. Without knowing what year the axle is the only way to find out would be to count the splines yourself.

Quick Reply: Project "My wife doesn't give a ****"