Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Compromises 01 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 03:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Post No Compromises 01 XJ

Build intention: Expedition/Overland travel, Bugout Vehicle when the SHTF.
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Trim: 4-door Sport 4WD
Color: Patriot Blue Metallic
Interior: Dark Agate
Trans: AW4
Transfer case: NP242 "Selec-Trac"
Front: Low pinion Dana 30
Rear: Chrysler 8.25 Open
Gears: 3.55
Factory Tow package
"Take it in the rear" total price after all payments and interest...$14,742!!!

I hunted for quite some time before I found exactly what XJ I wanted. This had everything I wanted, plus some hidden extras. I might have overpaid at the time, but I was so excited to finally find the perfect XJ, I went ahead and purchased it on 12/30/2009 with 109k miles.

So my journey began into the world of XJ ownership...
I was now part of a privileged group, who once seeing my Jeep, reminded them of one they had owned at one point in time. Everyone seemed to have loved them and wished they still had it.

Last edited by ss427ci; 03-21-2015 at 03:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:18 AM
Seasoned Member

First I went through the whole Jeep, replacing fluids and building a baseline for a maintenance schedule and so I would know exactly what type of fluids were in my jeep.

Then I had to get a new CD player and some interior trim, because apparently the $50 Sony that came with it was just so darn tempting.

Decided to replace some burned out dash lights at the same time.
Installed: Kenwood HD545U
Old 03-21-2015, 03:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Looking good. Where are you located? I'm guessing Hawaii just by the water jugs. Keep it up
Old 03-21-2015, 03:27 AM
Seasoned Member

One day my XJ overheated in work traffic. Had it towed to the shop and they replaced the radiator under warranty.

Then about a month later it overheated again and lost power on the highway just cruising.

The verdict...cracked 0331 head. So I got a new head replaced under warranty. Not a bad deal actually. Plus during the install they broke my intake manifold. So I also got a free brand new intake manifold.

See my overheating story here -https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/my-...got-one-55664/

I replaced the water pump later just to be safe. Good thing I did.

Also noticed my oil pressure gauge not moving at all. Salad actually helped me figure this one out. Turns out the previous owner probably complained about low oil pressure and they cut the wire to send a false reading to keep the needle pointing straight up no matter what. You can read that thread here ->https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/oil...moving-163386/

Last edited by ss427ci; 03-29-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by docmedpros
Looking good. Where are you located? I'm guessing Hawaii just by the water jugs. Keep it up
Yes sir, stationed at Schofield Barracks, HI.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:33 AM
Seasoned Member

It did really well in the ice & snow back in Texas.

But now it was time for new tires, so I ran across a good deal on some used 30x9.5r15 Wranglers from a stock TJ and picked them up.

They fit great with the stock suspension, I didn't experience any rubbing or anything. Although I did notice a decrease in hill climbing power.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Decided to paint the side trim and rear bumper caps to freshen up the look.

My headliner was starting to sag, so I decided to spray the fiberglass board with bedliner. It's a little rough when you brush up against it, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Now the barracks that I was living in at the time, did not have any power source even remotely close to the parking lot. So there was no way to vacuum out your car, run a soldering iron or anything. Which led to my decision to install a 1200w power inverter. Probably a little overkill for what I was using it for, but you never know when you might need to power something larger. Very good investment as far as I'm concerned.

Along with that install, I upgraded my battery & ground cables to 4awg quality cables with brass marine terminals. I also cut off all the factory wire loom so that I could re-route the wires a better way. I actually didn't want blue wire loom, but it was significantly cheaper than the black loom for some reason and it looks cool, so whatever.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ss427ci
Yes sir, stationed at Schofield Barracks, HI.

What unit? That was my last duty station. I was in 66 EN CO/1-14 INF BN
Old 03-21-2015, 03:53 AM
Seasoned Member

I have owned this XJ for over 5 years, but only this past year did I start to add aftermarket parts. I do a lot of research before I make a big purchase and save up for a long time before I buy it. Plus I was just maintaining and replacing little things until I felt the XJ was ready to move on to the next level.

So now the fun parts begin...

First was a set of Brown Dog Polyurethane motor mounts with Super Brackets along with a Daystar Polyurethane Transmission mount.
I can sum these up with just two words.......Ultimate Durability.

I have a personal rule whenever I work on any of my vehicles. If you go to the trouble of removing and replacing a part, take that extra time to clean up that area.
Was cleaning the entire engine bay a bit excessive for installing motor mounts? idk but it sure does look purdy

Old 03-21-2015, 03:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by docmedpros
What unit? That was my last duty station. I was in 66 EN CO/1-14 INF BN
Well you should recognize my dang Jeep then! I've only been with 66th for 3.5 yrs, haha.
This is Taylor, I'm guessing you were one of our medics. I know Pinaula got med board. I know Hawkins didn't have a Jeep. Who are you?
Old 03-21-2015, 04:04 AM
Seasoned Member

I picked this bumper cap up while I was on leave back home in Texas. It has now become my trademark, haha.

Getting it ready for the future lift, I installed Timken Wheel hub bearings with Alloy USA HD Upper & Lower ball joints.

Also in preparation for the coming lift kit and bigger tires, I opted to upgrade to a rebuilt 99 Dodge Durango Steering box with a C-ROK steering brace/spacer.

Last edited by ss427ci; 03-21-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Ok so during the lift install, I might have become a little OCD with beautification. But the end result was nice and I get more compliments for underneath my XJ than the outside.

Before & After undercoating. I used Rust-Oleum undercoating in the wheel wells.

Before & After high temp caliper paint. I also painted my calipers, but didn't get a good shot of those.

Before & After 4 coats of Rust-Oleum Hammered Black spray paint. I was disappointed at first that it didn't turn out a rich black, then I learned to appreciate the unique charcoal gray color they turned out in. Now I love the look of it.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:47 AM
Seasoned Member

The side moldings look like crap when they start to fade and I'm not repainting them again. So just like the headliner, I removed the problem. Plus with the future fender trim and flares, these will be removed anyway.

I also took this time to repaint my scratched up rear bumper with Dupli Color Color match paint & clear coat. I must say, it does match pretty darn close. Oh and I painted my trailer hitch with Rust-Oleum.

I kinda went crazy with Plasti-dip after watching some YouTube videos and thought, wow that looks really easy, I'm gonna plasti-dip everything. Stupid youtube... So I plasti-dipped my grill insets, mirrors, door handles and windshield wipers with black. Then did all my emblems in a dark gray. It looked sweet!....at first....then I washed it the next weekend and it's already starting to peal off around the edges. Stupid Plasti-dip. I knew it looked too good to be durable. Oh well, lesson learned and money wasted.

I also painted two strips black on the hood with plasti dip. My thought is it will look good with the future hood vents, but it is already chipping off from road and rock debris. Stupid Plasti-dip...

Future Plans: Actually strip and sand the hood sections and paint with Custom Shop Matte black paint. Same paint on the door handles and windshield wipers. Order some custom smoke gray emblems from somewhere, haven't figured that out yet.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Time for the lift...
The most often rebuttal question to, "what lift kit should I buy?", is "what do you want to do with your XJ?" My answer? I want an XJ that can crawl a rock trail, be comfortable on the road, be dependable and durable.

I am a survivalist and my XJ will be an extension of my kit and provide a viable bug out option, if/when that need arises. Should I put more money into this XJ than it's worth or buy a new vehicle? That is the question I had to ask myself. The answer is, nothing out there today appeals to me like an XJ Cherokee does. Simplicity, durability, capability (especially when built correctly), live axles, small size, enclosed vehicle are the basis of my decision to keep this XJ forever and dump the price of a new car into it.

Now that you know where my head is at, why spend $1,600 on Metalcloak? Just take a look at their website and do some research on the JK boards and you will see why they provide everything I need a suspension to do. Good people too, they kept in touch with me to solve some minor issues and the quality of their components are second to none, in my opinion. I don't even want to talk about what i had to eat in shipping costs to get this kit to Hawaii though.

I added the following parts to this kit to round out a complete package:
Moog Front Upper Control Arm Bushings
IRO SYE
IRO 4 degree shims
IRO HD coil spring retainers
IRO HD Ubolt mounting plates
Daystar 0.75" coil spring spacers
Liquid Iron Industries Shackle Relocation Brackets
JKS Boomerang Shackles
Adam's rear CV Driveshaft

Last edited by ss427ci; 03-21-2015 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply: No Compromises 01 XJ