Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeepin' it real v2.0

Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Jeepin' it real v2.0

I had really wanted a 2 door cherokee all summer and just couldn't find the right one. I settled on a slightly lifted 4 door and had some fun with that, which you can see here: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/je...project-58694/

I ended up coming across a real clean 2 door on Craigslist one night and just couldn't pass it up. It's the same thing as my current jeep, just nicer and with less doors. I made the 5 hour trip to Vermont, put down a deposit, and snapped a couple quick pictures.

I went back and picked it up about a week later.
It's a '99, automatic, 4.0, 107k miles, and of course it has four wheel drive. The best part is it's all stock except for the radio.

Shortly after bringing this one home, I was able to sell the 4 door. Jeepin' it real v2.0 has begun.

I want an XJ capable of some light off roading but still comfortable and practical as a daily driver. I'm debating between the OME 2" or the RE 3.5" super ride lifts. 30 or 31" tires depending on what lift, and some new wheels which I am still undecided about. A good sound system, which I was never able to get to in my previous cherokee, and some power goodies like exhaust, throttle body, and injectors. Bumpers are very probable too. Some minor things like removing the side trim and painting the headlight bezels black will have to wait until spring. Nothing over the top, but I do want it to look, ride, and sound good.

Here are a few more pics, which will do it for now. I have added a few things, but that'll have to wait for tomorrow.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Seasoned Member

I replaced some little things like the windshield wipers and liftgate supports, and realized the jeep didn't need much. With winter coming right up, I decided it'd be a good idea to invest in some floormats. I ordered a set from WeatherTech, and they are just awesome. No good pictures, but they look and fit great, and really hold the water and mud well.

Next it was time to upgrade the sound system, which is something I had really wanted to do in my previous jeep so I figured I'd start with that this time around.

First on the list was a new head unit. I wanted something that looked clean and simple, and the Clarion CZ500 was the winner.

Next were the speakers and subs. I went with Polk DXi 5 1/4's in the doors and rear soundbar. I may upgrade these to Orion XTR's this summer, which I already have. If I do this, I will also install an amp for the speakers.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with 2 12's or 2 10's for subs, but after realizing I really wanted to save most of my cargo space, I went with the PWM110-WXJX from JL Audio, which is one 10" sub powered by their JX250 175 watt amp on the back.

This combo hits much harder than I thought it would. I was really looking just for something that would sound nice, not break windows (another reason I decided against the 12's). A few different settings allow it sound real nice and clean with a little added bump to the music, but it can thuuump when you turn it up. Plus, it doesn't take up much space. I'm extremely happy with it.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Put my clear corners on a few days ago, and of course they look great.

Also mounted up a mini mag lite next to my shifter. Very convenient spot if you don't want or need the full size mag.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L I6

Looks like mine when I got it lol
Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 PM

Year: 2000

where did u get the clear lights
Old 02-09-2011, 03:16 PM

Engine: 4.0L inline 6

Thats a good looking Jeep. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I went with a Zoneoffroad.com lift. and I couldn't be happier. They're lifts are priced really well and in my opinion they handle really well. I haven't had any problems with it. check them out. I think that for the type of ride and lift that you want it might be a good choice.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

how much was that 1 10?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 PM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0 HO

Hey thats a nice xj!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper
Looks like mine when I got it lol
Hmmm... weird...

Originally Posted by jeepboy1990
where did u get the clear lights
Got them off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-01...Q5fAccessories

Originally Posted by SignWorX
Thats a good looking Jeep. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I went with a Zoneoffroad.com lift. and I couldn't be happier. They're lifts are priced really well and in my opinion they handle really well. I haven't had any problems with it. check them out. I think that for the type of ride and lift that you want it might be a good choice.
I have looked at the Zone lift, but I definitely want something with full leaf packs. I was thinking I could always get new stock leaf springs then put in the AAL from the Zone kit. I really want something that's going to ride well, as it will spend more time on the road than off.

Originally Posted by XJeeper193
how much was that 1 10?
$299, if I remember correctly. They also have the same combo with one 12 for a little more.

Originally Posted by Richliveshots
Hey thats a nice xj!
Thanks, Rich! Yours has come a long way. I don't think mine will ever get to that point, but everything you do for SAR, I think that's awesome! I'm sure many people appreciate it. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Not much going on with the jeep lately. I did buy a set of white face gauge overlays and I'm waiting until I get some LED's to replace the gauge lights to put them in, that way I don't have to take the instrument cluster out twice.
I swear I've looked at every XJ lift between 2 and 4 inches 478392107 times and I still haven't decided which one I'd like to get.
I think I'll go with a set of 15" Pro Comp 8179's for wheels, and I am still undecided about tires.
I'd like to get my tax refund back before I take the next step anyways.

Since I know my jeep will be lifted soon, I wanted to see what I was getting for gas mileage that way I could compare stock vs. lifted.
Over the last month, I drove 1269 miles and used 74.563 gallons of gas which comes out to 17.019 miles per gallon. I was happy with that, considering I was using 4wd for a couple days around the snowstorms we got because my tires are terrible.

17 mpg on 225/75/15's (at 32 psi) with probably 200 miles in 4wd.

The worst I averaged over a tank was 15.6 mpg, and the best I averaged was 19.7.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Biceps McRipped
Not much going on with the jeep lately. I did buy a set of white face gauge overlays and I'm waiting until I get some LED's to replace the gauge lights to put them in, that way I don't have to take the instrument cluster out twice.
I swear I've looked at every XJ lift between 2 and 4 inches 478392107 times and I still haven't decided which one I'd like to get.
I think I'll go with a set of 15" Pro Comp 8179's for wheels, and I am still undecided about tires.
I'd like to get my tax refund back before I take the next step anyways.

Since I know my jeep will be lifted soon, I wanted to see what I was getting for gas mileage that way I could compare stock vs. lifted.
Over the last month, I drove 1269 miles and used 74.563 gallons of gas which comes out to 17.019 miles per gallon. I was happy with that, considering I was using 4wd for a couple days around the snowstorms we got because my tires are terrible.

17 mpg on 225/75/15's (at 32 psi) with probably 200 miles in 4wd.

The worst I averaged over a tank was 15.6 mpg, and the best I averaged was 19.7.
This just my opinion on the lift height, but I currently have a 3" kit and I am going up to 4" because of ground clearance issues. Really consider what you're getting into on the trail and you also have the ability to compare to your old XJ and if the lift you had then was sufficient.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper
This just my opinion on the lift height, but I currently have a 3" kit and I am going up to 4" because of ground clearance issues. Really consider what you're getting into on the trail and you also have the ability to compare to your old XJ and if the lift you had then was sufficient.

The lift I had on my last XJ was just fine. I went everywhere I wanted to go with no problems...

With that said, I just ordered Rusty's 3" lift with full leaf packs earlier today. It will be a little while before it actually gets put in, plus I still have to buy wheels and tires. I was having a really hard time deciding on which lift, so I just got it out of the way and now I don't have to worry about it anymore. Finally!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 Litre HIGH OUTPUT

Looks like you found alot of Jeeps there, A Wagoneer in the back and a White Cherokee on the reflection of the Black Cherokee.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice find on craigslist ... but Uncle Henry's is better.

If you dont mind me asking which part of Maine do you live in?
I live in a tiny town called Dennysville (no joke), but go to school up in Orono.

Last edited by ivantheigor; 03-08-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:12 PM

Looking great man, I love your other Jeep though...I want to do that same or either get 2" and trimmed fenders.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jeepin' it real v2.0