Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeepin' it real - 1999 XJ project

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Jeepin' it real - 1999 XJ project

Bought this Jeep in hopes that I can go through the winter without ever being stuck in my driveway. Sold my 2 cars, a 1997 Ford Probe and 1983 Datsun 280zx, so I could get started on a 4wd project. Really have to have something with 4wd where I live and work, and I loved the old Bronco I had last winter, but it was just too big for my needs.
I'd just like to have something that can get me around in the snow without any trouble, and maybe do a little off roading. Interior will hopefully get a complete makeover with new seats, carpet, and sound system. HID's, clear marker lights, front and rear bumpers should take care of the exterior. A few minor upgrades under the hood as well. I don't really have a timeline for all this, it just depends on how ambitious I feel. This is also my first Jeep, so it'll be a learning experience as well.

The start...

1999 Jeep Cherokee, 98,350 miles, 4.0, automatic, and all stock except for the unknown brand 2 inch spacer lift.

First thing I have to worry about is trying to get it inspected, and it obviously needs tires. The 235/75's are very bald, so I decided to buy a set of 30 x 9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers. Should look nice with the small lift.
Also wanted to get some new wheels at the same time, so I picked up some 15 x 8 Pro Comp 1069's.

I get my new lug nuts tomorrow, so hopefully the new wheels and tires will go on this weekend.

Bought the Jeep with a dead battery, so I ordered a nice Optima Red Top.

I have new Bosch plugs and Accel wires already, just waiting for some time to put them in.

I have also taken out most of the interior in the back end. The panels really need a fresh coat of paint, and the carpet needs to be replaced. I'm trying to focus on just getting it stickered and legal first, though, which I will try to have done by the end of next week.

I'll try and keep this updated as time and money allows. Comments and criticism welcome.

- Jeff
Old 09-09-2010, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good so far! Will look a lot better when you get the new wheels and tires on.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I

Awesome! Can't wait to see the tires and wheels on that beast!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:57 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L
Default Cherokee Snow Machines !!

I special ordered my 98 Cherokee from the factory back in fall of 97 explicitly for winter driving and mild off roading.

In a few words, it has been awesome. I actually put 4 narrow 215/75 Blizzaks on the original steel wheels which I run in the winter time and 235/75 Michelin ATX on a set of Grizzly 15x7s, riding on Bilsteins the rest of the year.

I Put a little weight in the back, I actually use 2 6 gallon cases of Poland Spring water, one over each wheel and I've yet to get stuck.

The only problem i have had being here in the Northeast, land of icy roads and salt is RUST !

Lots of rusted brake rotors even had my high pressure power steering line rust through leading to the pump's failure due to it running dry.

Please note this and check yours !! it's on the drivers side, that yellow cap near the front is the power steering reservoir, follow the lines down to the steering box.

I like your Cherokee, the mild lift is cool and will really compliment the wheel and tires you've selected. I too am looking at a mild lift, mainly for larger tires as well. Most likely 31's.

I wanted to ask you if you could point out what is used in the back for the rear lift. Is it an Add a leaf, Shackles and/or Blocks ? Whatever it is, it looks as if it's held up fairly well and hasn't sagged much.

It's really incredible how much better these Cherokees look with just the slightest amount of lift !

I Can't wait to see what she looks like with those awesome new wheels and tires !!!

Last edited by NH_Jeep_XJ; 09-10-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added tire sizes for reference
Old 09-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SteelBlue99
Looking good so far! Will look a lot better when you get the new wheels and tires on.
Thanks. Yes it will, I can't wait.

Originally Posted by Dkoke
Awesome! Can't wait to see the tires and wheels on that beast!
Ahhh, me neither... They'll be on tonight if it's not raining when I get home.

Originally Posted by NH_Jeep_XJ
I special ordered my 98 Cherokee from the factory back in fall of 97 explicitly for winter driving and mild off roading.

In a few words, it has been awesome. I actually put 4 narrow 215/75 Blizzaks on the original steel wheels which I run in the winter time and 235/75 Michelin ATX on a set of Grizzly 15x7s, riding on Bilsteins the rest of the year.

I Put a little weight in the back, I actually use 2 6 gallon cases of Poland Spring water, one over each wheel and I've yet to get stuck.

The only problem i have had being here in the Northeast, land of icy roads and salt is RUST !

Lots of rusted brake rotors even had my high pressure power steering line rust through leading to the pump's failure due to it running dry.

Please note this and check yours !! it's on the drivers side, that yellow cap near the front is the power steering reservoir, follow the lines down to the steering box.

I like your Cherokee, the mild lift is cool and will really compliment the wheel and tires you've selected. I too am looking at a mild lift, mainly for larger tires as well. Most likely 31's.

I wanted to ask you if you could point out what is used in the back for the rear lift. Is it an Add a leaf, Shackles and/or Blocks ? Whatever it is, it looks as if it's held up fairly well and hasn't sagged much.

It's really incredible how much better these Cherokees look with just the slightest amount of lift !

I Can't wait to see what she looks like with those awesome new wheels and tires !!!

NH Jeep, sounds like exactly what I plan to use mine for! And I'm no stranger to rust... The only car I've ever had without any was a '83 280zx from Texas. A little body work never hurt anybody, right? This Jeep has some surface rust on the roof, but everything else looks like it's in pretty decent shape. Depending on how long I plan to keep it, I may undercoat the frame sometime this fall, or maybe next spring.

As for the lift, I'm honestly not sure. I'll get a good look when I get it up on the jack to put the tires and wheels on.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:34 PM

Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder

get some pics up with those new meats on asap lol!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Biceps McRipped
As for the lift, I'm honestly not sure. I'll get a good look when I get it up on the jack to put the tires and wheels on.
lol, just look at the back for shackles, it will take maybe 2 seconds, if no shackles then bend over slightly and look at the leafs for an AAL or blocks.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:07 AM
Seasoned Member

So I found out last night that I'm going to need longer studs before I get my new wheels on. Made a trip to VIP but they didn't have any, so hopefully I can get some today. I also need brake shoes, and I will probably sand down and paint the drums so it looks a little better. Old rusty brakes behind shiny new wheels are not going to look good.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 95Cherokee
lol, just look at the back for shackles, it will take maybe 2 seconds, if no shackles then bend over slightly and look at the leafs for an AAL or blocks.
Oh, sorry. I didn't realize I was being so lazy.

Since I already had one of the wheels off, I took off the brake drum and decided to paint it. Wire brushed it first, 2 coats of primer, then 3 finish coats. Turns out I need brake shoes too. I'll probably do the other side tomorrow.

I had started taking the interior out in the back last week, but finished today by getting rid of the old carpet.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

looks like a good starter jeep welcome to the forums
Old 09-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Jeep is in the shop getting inspected right now. It needs brake shoes and brake lines, and a front bumper since the endcaps are missing. It would've been cheaper just to buy the endcaps, but I wanted a new bumper anyways so I ordered the Olympic rock crawler and I will get the grill guard in a couple weeks. New wheels and tires are on, but I don't have any pics... I can't wait to get it back!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:50 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

keep updated with picssss
Old 10-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Knew the Jeep had an exhaust leak, but didn't realize the damage. I ended up needing a new manifold, so here it is. Got here in only a day!

This is the last thing I need for a sticker, which means tons of pics with the new bumper and wheels/tires in a few more days, but this is the best I can do for now.

Also have 6000k HID's and clear marker lights coming next week.

Last edited by Biceps McRipped; 10-01-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 PM
DmC

Year: 1998 XJ

Looks good man....If your looking for some good cheap upgrades I would look for some ZJ Rear Disk brakes. Helps a lot!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 91 Limited

Looks awesome! Cant wait for new pics!

Quick Reply: Jeepin' it real - 1999 XJ project