Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Jeep Builds
98 XJ stock w 242 and new lifted 00 w 231. What to do? >

98 XJ stock w 242 and new lifted 00 w 231. What to do?

Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

98 XJ stock w 242 and new lifted 00 w 231. What to do?

Old 01-03-2019, 10:12 PM

Model: Cherokee
Default 98 XJ stock w 242 and new lifted 00 w 231. What to do?

Hello, been about 7 years since I last posted here. Have had a steel blue stock 98 w 242 since 2012 and works great. Got it at 205K and now is at 235K. Done all the labor myself with family or friends. Love it, will keep it until it dies.
Have a new Leaf for it and will install that this year. Have Shackles extension and spacers but not sure if I should do that since it so stock and set in? All questions and answers are welcomed.
What I can think of what I have done to the 98. (some are cool jobs, some are so amateur but listing them all off top my head) New Aluminum Radiator, Hoses, water pump, thermostat, differential fluids twice, tramsmission filter, fluids, trans case fluid, valve cover gasket (eliminated alot of oil leaks), back shocks, LEAFS need replacing and have shackle extensions with spacers as mentioned above, PCV both replaced, heater core flush, heater resistor, back gate shocks, starter twice, alternator, belt.... Havent looked at what gears we have on the back and front but should do that. Common issues are electrical issues with door lock and windows and radio. But everything I need works fine. Shorts out fuse if touch rear defrost or rear wipers so never touch that.

Now here's the reason for my return.

In my mid life crisis and my wife's wanting us to get a 3rd car since the 98 would die on us 1-2 times a year due to common issues like electrical wiring, passenger window dropping yada yada no biggie but 3rd car needed for emergencies so we decided to get another Jeep since we have two boys growing up and want them to learn to drive in these babies. And Jeeps were my teenage dream and I can afford them now not before.

We shopped around, looking for a XJ with less than 150K. Found a few, lost a few. And bit the bullet on one. We thought we had a good one since the 98 had been good to us. We went for something already lifted and beefed up. Bought it private party, drove it home. Bank gave us a pretty big warranty but spotty here and there you know how it is.
Anyways, as we learn the whole XJ game, we came across some disappointing things and now need your input and advice etc.
the 2000 Jeep Sport has 138K, 33 inch tires x 12.5 on 15 inch rims. 4.5 rough country lift and when we got home found that they didnt put the upper control arms so will have to install those as we found them in the back hidden under the spare tire. The fenders are herculined but tires rub on them so obviously need remove front or cut it, while back of the front tire fenders are metal, do we cut those? Do we go smaller tires? The back differentail is a chrys 8.25 apparently.
As we loved the 4x4 on the fly for going up to the mountain or going around town when it was snowy out which is 4-5 times a year on the 98. We found out the hard way a few days ago going up the mountain that we dont have the 4 hi on the fly on the 2000, cuz it is a 231 case, ****! We didn't think to check this when we bought it, we ASSUMED since the 98 had it, that the 2000 would be the same, DAMN it. So, we can't just go 4 hi and are stuck to part time in slick conditions we realize that now, super important no cuz we have the 98 if we need it. But is having a 231 with 33 inch and 4.5 lift an issue with the chrys 8.25 rear and dana 30 front? What should we do?
Driving this jeep is nice, it does have a come and go issue that is either related to engine or tranny and is more obvious when going uphill. It will like go nice humm 3 times, then like a small boom boom boom, then humm humm humm, boom boom boom, but not obvious to anyone except the driver. Already went to les scwab and they checked out shocks and alignment and said already was in good shape. 4x4 shop have an inspection in a couple weeks scheduled to fix trans case linkage as that fell apart on our trip up the mountain recently.
I did both differentials yesterday, the back one looked bad. The front was gross! the stench was disgusting and the color was black, green brown mixture, so gross and there were flakes, very small but easily 100-200 of them? Put in new 80w-90 for now. Going to do transmission filter and change fluid in transcase as well. We want to have a keeper, not a crawler, go off road a few times a year on bunny trails with friends, have a reliant 4x4 jeep for ski trips or snow days. We would consider selling this if we truly fked up and got the wrong Jeep, let us know, no feelings will be hurt. The steel blue is definitely staying with us till its death.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:15 PM

Default The 98 steel blue XJ

The 98 Steel Blue Jeep

Old 01-04-2019, 06:25 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Both the np231 and np242 transfer cases can be shifted into 4 hi on the fly. 33s are no problem for a Chrysler 8.25 and Dana 30 front. Your driveline vibrations might be because it is lifted without a slip yoke eliminator. Also for future reference stay away from STP or Fram oil filters, get Mopar, Motorcraft, Purolator, Napa Premium, or Wix.

Last edited by 00t444e; 01-04-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:36 AM

Ok will look into slip yokes. Now with a 231 and a 33 inch lift, i was told probably need to change gear ratio to make engine trans and tires more compatible? How do i know if i have 307 355 410 or whatnot? ( dont understand how to identify this part)
from what i understand is 242 has 4 hi can go on pavement and mixture of ground while 231 cant do full time 4 hi on pavement and is should only be used in slick conditions?
also ideas on eliminating tire rub? I will change out front fender no problem but the back of front tires is worse part, dont want to actually cut metal if dont have to? Tips?
Also have 2 inch spacer and shackle extensions available, shld i put them on blue 98 or nah when i put on new leafs?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:30 AM

Ok looked into sye, seems yes need sye and then get a new drive shaft?
Old 01-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by DeafPhysicalEducation View Post
Ok will look into slip yokes. Now with a 231 and a 33 inch lift, i was told probably need to change gear ratio to make engine trans and tires more compatible? How do i know if i have 307 355 410 or whatnot? ( dont understand how to identify this part)
from what i understand is 242 has 4 hi can go on pavement and mixture of ground while 231 cant do full time 4 hi on pavement and is should only be used in slick conditions?
also ideas on eliminating tire rub? I will change out front fender no problem but the back of front tires is worse part, dont want to actually cut metal if dont have to? Tips?
Also have 2 inch spacer and shackle extensions available, shld i put them on blue 98 or nah when i put on new leafs?
242= t-case with full and part time settings and 231 is part time only.

If it was me I'd keep the 242 for the flexibility of having the fulltime setting. A lot of people parrot that the 242 is weaker than the 231 but when behind a XJ drivetrain it's a non issue. FWIW the 242 in a HD format is used in the HMMWV and a plethora of other V8 powered vehicles, so the idea that it's significantly weaker than the 231 in a Jeep application is ludicrous.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by DeafPhysicalEducation View Post
If its an automatic 4.0 it came 3.55 gears, if its a 5 speed it came with 3.07 gears. If you decide to regear the axles 4.56 gears would be ideal.

The 242 has 2wd, 4hi part time, 4hi full time, and 4low which is also part time, the 231 doesn't have the full time 4x4 option but you can still use part time if the roads are slick, you can shift in and out of 4x4 hi on the fly as needed.
The front can be trimmed as needed, for the rear look up the cut and fold method. When you have done the trimming you can leave it like that or get aftermarket flares to fit.
That's up to you, it won't hurt anything.
Replies in blue.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:47 PM

Is there a way to eliminate tire rub without trimming? And where do i find this information and on hownto trim if i have to?