Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 Sport - DD for Now...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '01 2Dr Sport - Project "Hal"

Hey all,

Pardon my pseudo build thread/intro. I figured this would be the best place to start.

Been wanting an XJ for ages, but the right opportunity or price never popped up. I settled on a bone stock '01 Sport, 4x2 automatic with 109k on the clock.

She was sitting on a used car lot, and is a fine specimen of the normal ailments: exhaust manifold crack, driver's door wiring needs fixing, slow drip from the radiator, and the dreaded 0331 head (isn't cracked, but noticed coolant weeping from front of head onto block, might as well nip it in the bud while the coolant and oil are getting changed out). Body and interior are in great shape, and she drives great.

My goal for her is to have a rock solid DD while I fix up and move parts for the rest of my fleet (3 SVT Contours and an '02 SSEi 530whp build). 2wd is fine for now in the South as I'll be driving to work, the beach, and hauling car parts with a utility trailer. If and when I move back to Michigan, a 4x4 conversion will be a must.

Current Plans:
  • Rebuilt TUPY head - Needs install
  • Cooling System Flush - Still need to back-flush heater core before reassembly
  • Water pump - Needs install
  • Radiator - Needs install
  • New hoses and inline coolant filter - Needs install
  • Rear main seal and oil pan gasket - Completed
  • Cloyes timing set - Needs install
  • Brown Dog Superkit - Needs install
  • Air filter
  • Add flex joints to downpipe
  • Replace rear hatch struts - Completed

Future Plans:
  • Trans cooler
  • In-line trans filter
  • Trans and diff fluid gradual replacement
  • Fix door wiring
  • Front and rear brakes
  • 35% Tint
  • Class IV Receiver
  • A better cassette tape collection

More pics to come, but I should probably get my freeloading butt back to work!
Attached Images   

Last edited by offthewallds; 11-09-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:39 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

not going to lie, jealous you got one in white. always wanted a two door in white. think its time to paint mine
Old 10-06-2015, 05:33 PM

Hah! Thanks man! I'm pretty smitten with it. If only I could have the tan interior you've got.... then I'd be in heaven.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 PM

haha thanks, i also got lucky with the 5 speed, all for 500 hundred bucks
Old 10-07-2015, 08:09 AM

Quick update. Dropped off the TUPY head at the machinist's yesterday for inspection/flat top/and a 3-angle. Should get it back today or tomorrow afternoon.

Only had time to replace the rear hatch struts last night, but what a difference!

More backstory: When I saw the coolant overflow tank, I new the system needed a thorough cleaning. When I cut the heatercore inlet hose for the flushing tee, I found more than I wanted. The water pump wasn't much better. Letting it sit overnight, I came out the next morning to find the slow leak at the front of the head, suspect bolt #11. Might as well make her right the first time.
Attached Thumbnails '01 Sport - DD for Now...-20151003_150707.jpg   '01 Sport - DD for Now...-20151003_202945.jpg   '01 Sport - DD for Now...-20151005_070250.jpg  

Last edited by offthewallds; 10-07-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:43 PM

Parts! And beer! Huzzah!

Old 10-13-2015, 07:27 PM

Got the head back today. MT'd for cracks, 3-angle, decked, and new seals. Yeeeee!

Old 10-21-2015, 09:11 AM

Had some time this weekend to pull the head.

Unfortunately, the front corner of the intake manifold broke apart upon removing the first bolt. There was a good amount of carbon buildup in the crack, so I'm guessing this issue had been present for quite a while.

One nice surprise was that I didn't have any cracks in my exhaust manifolds or downpipe. Turns out the flange connection for the front bank was pretty loose. Both precats will be getting new gaskets and bolts. On the fence about welding in flex sections right now since Im getting antsy to get 'er back on the road.

Currently waiting for my SAE tap and die set to arrive so I can chase the threads on the head bolts/holes. Started working on the RMS last night after work.... what a PITA to wrestle the pan out! Eventually got it out by turning the steering full lock to the right, jacking up the frame at the control arms, and then jacking up the front axle a few inches. More on that tonight...

Old 10-22-2015, 08:32 AM

Kinda stinks only having an hour or so each night to work on this thing, especially when learning the ins and outs of a new (to me) platform.

New intake manifold and a shiny new 5-75 ft-lbs CDI torque wrench arrived today.

RMS replaced, cap and girdle torqued back down, and a bit of personality for when she's back on the road. Plans are to get the block/pan cleaned up and bolted back together tonight.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

Looks nice. I thought about painting mine white as I would like another white xj
Old 10-22-2015, 10:26 AM

Thanks man! I wasn't hunting for a white XJ specifically, but I'm very happy with it. It needs some touch-up paint in a few spots (driver door along the B-pillar and the top lip of the back hatch), but overall it's in good shape.

In the interest of "doing it right the first time", I just picked up two 1.75" x 4" flex sections from Vibrant (Part Number: 62404) to weld into the downpipe. I really don't want to have to replace the exhaust manifolds or downpipe in the future. The flex w/ inner braid won't flex as much as a section without the liner, but it's more durable. Couple that with new motor/trans mounts and I'm hoping manifold cracks will be a moot point.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-62404

Last edited by offthewallds; 10-22-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:23 AM

go with brown dog motor mounts
Old 11-09-2015, 08:42 AM

I've decided on a name for this XJ: "Hal". Here's the inspiration from Malcolm in the Middle: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2gp98t

I wanted to replace the timing cover gasket and front crank seal due to the ridiculous amount of crud built up around the crank seal.

Inspected the timing chain and had just over a 1/2" of play, so I got a replacement from Autozone (not normally a fan of Duralast, but it was the only chain available in town). Got everything cleaned up and bolted back down.

The Felpro oil pan gasket with the plastic studs is flipping brilliant! They supported the weight of the pan while getting the first few bolts in place. I gave up on wrestling the oil pan back into place and dropped the trans mount to jack up the trans a couple of inches; the pan slid into place effortlessly. So I was torquing the bolts back down, and came to the two 1/4" bolts that go up into the timing cover. The passenger side went in fine, but the driver's side stripped the aluminum threads. I blame it on being tired and not thinking to just tighten by hand. Or maybe the XJ was telling me not to use Autozone parts.....

Time to break out the Helicoil. Since the timing cover has to come back off, I've got a Cloyes C3225 timing set on the way. Anywho, the Superkit arrived!