Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

When turning feel a slight pull in the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default When turning feel a slight pull in the steering wheel

Hey everyone im just curious to what it could be I know its hard to diagnose a problem without actually seeing it. But here it goes anyway maybe sombody has had the same issue one before.

I went wheeling yesterday. Since then my XJ feels weird and wasnt the same so somthings up

When ever I turn my steering wheel while driving (turning/switching directions) I feel a slight wobble or pull in the steering wheel.My jeep doesn't have death wobble either. Not sure what this can be..

I had sombody turn my wheel while I was looking under my front end and their is no crazy creaking or anything really obvious maybe Im looking at the wrong things.. Please help thanks

-Vehcile Info-
88 XJ
32s
4.5 inch lift

Last edited by supermini99; 08-01-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:53 PM

Year: 1992 and 1998

Have you checked your power steering fluid level?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Binding or dry front u-joint will do that.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:57 PM

A crappy u-joint...

Dangit. Radi beat me to the punch again!

Round two to you, good sir*. Well played.

(* - 'Sir' in this reference is not an actual Gender reference, as any knowledge thereof is purely theoretical. Or psychically intuited. If psychic intuition is involved, I need to adjust my tinfoil hat again.)

Original Poster - It's happened a few times on a few different XJ's, if it gets bad enough, you can darn near feel the front end 'walk' visibly as the poor, helpless u-joints flop around. I would suggest not letting 'em get that bad, all of my encounters were new purchases, and it shocked me when I replaced the joints just what condition they were in.

A quick question (or two), if you don't mind... Is the pull, or tug a rhythmic sensation? Tied to the speed of the tires? Also, does this happen when the wheels are slightly turned, or fully turned? Finally, is it only when you turn left, right, or both ways?

BTW: Kudos on the information, lotsa folks post a problem and then expect others to psychically sense their actual vehicle. (Or look it up in their virtual 'garage', but I'm lazy.)

Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJPhoenix
A crappy u-joint...

Dangit. Radi beat me to the punch again!

Round two to you, good sir*. Well played.

(* - 'Sir' in this reference is not an actual Gender reference, as any knowledge thereof is purely theoretical. Or psychically intuited. If psychic intuition is involved, I need to adjust my tinfoil hat again.)

Well.. you turned in a better lap time with the "fan relay" idea in another thread, lol.

And you are correct, I'm of the "does not go to the restroom in pairs" gender.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
Well.. you turned in a better lap time with the "fan relay" idea in another thread, lol.

And you are correct, I'm of the "does not go to the restroom in pairs" gender.
*LOL* Excellent!

I suggest we combine our efforts, a la Batman & Superman! We can help many!

(PS to All: Sorry for the off-track comments, late night, no sleep and pain pills makes for... Fun!)

Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988

Now when you guys say binding what do think might be binding? And as for the Dry U joint are your guys talking about the front driveline U joint ? Im confused
Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by supermini99
Now when you guys say binding what do think might be binding? And as for the Dry U joint are your guys talking about the front driveline U joint ? Im confused
Ah! Sorry, my bad. Um, the binding we're talking about is when the front axleshaft u-joints are bad, loose, sloppy or irritated, they spin fine when the wheels are straight; but when the wheels are turned, stress is put on those joints and they bind up.

Last edited by XJPhoenix; 08-02-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:48 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by supermini99
The u-joints just inside the front wheel area at the end of the driveshaft.
Look for rust around the caps, that's a sure sign they're bound up. Sometimes you can feel it with the front in the air, turning the tires by hand, try it with the wheels turned slightly left, then right...but the best way to check them is to pull the shaft out and rotate the joints manually. I've had u-joints look just fine that wouldn't budge once they were removed.

Of course we're guessing, not having seen the XJ. You might just have a couple loose lugnuts or a sloppy tie rod end or ball joint..