Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brake adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Brake adjustment?

So i was driving alone and a got pulled over by a cop. The reason why, because my break lights were out. So I tested it infront of the officer and they only lite when i put a bit more of pressure than normal on the pedal. Im guessing its an easy adjustment but i cant figure where to start? Any suggestions on tackling this problem before i get pulled over again?

( Also the Funny thing,I saw him checking out my Cherokee)
Old 08-01-2012, 11:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You'll find a switch on the brake pedal for the lights. You can possibly adjust it a bit.... it looks like this:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Radi; 08-01-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 PM

It could be the brake light switch.

Lord, it's been a while since I've tinkered with one, but I'll try to go from memory (which, if you know me, is a scary thought! *L*) In order to check it, you'll need to be a skinny contortionist, or young.

Somehow, get yourself on the driver's side floor of your Jeep, on your back, with your head near the brake pedal. The pain you're feeling is normal, soon, it will travel from your neck and back to your wallet, but, since you own a Jeep, you're pretty used to it by now. Okay, there should be a little plastic box that's either right behind the shaft of the brake pedal, or in front of it, depending on if you're a 'glass half full/empty' person. That plastic thingie should have a tiny plastic plunger that's pressed against the shaft. (If you're picturing Will E. Coyote right now, you've just dated yourself. Welcome to my world. ) That plunger gets compressed when you step on the brakes. It activates a few things, like (surprise) your brake lights, but it also does stuff to tell the locking torque converter to unlock (if you have an auto), and the cruise control to disengage (if you have it).

Some times that plunger can get sticky, (or the guts get bent, I don't know how they work, I assume witchcraft is involved.) Sometimes they aren't lined up properly, or they just get worn out. You can check it by getting a helpful person to stand behind the Jeep, while you press the plunger with a little screwdriver. If your friend is a skinny contortionist, so much the better. Keep them around, they'll come in handy.

If the switch is screwy, you may want to either take it apart and play around with it, or get one from a scrap yard. IIRC they're oddly expensive from the dealership.

HTH!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

Somehow, get yourself on the driver's side floor of your Jeep, on your back, with your head near the brake pedal. The pain you're feeling is normal, soon, it will travel from your neck and back to your wallet, but, since you own a Jeep, you're pretty used to it by now
Awesome
Except you really need to wedge your head behind the brake pedal to get a good shot at it. Try that with bifocals.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 PM

Ahhh... You're a 'glass half full person', aincha?

Old 08-01-2012, 11:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJPhoenix
Ahhh... You're a 'glass half full person', aincha?

Depends on what's in the glass. Sometimes 1/2 means it's refill time.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:55 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by XJPhoenix
It could be the brake light switch.

Lord, it's been a while since I've tinkered with one, but I'll try to go from memory (which, if you know me, is a scary thought! *L*) In order to check it, you'll need to be a skinny contortionist, or young.

Somehow, get yourself on the driver's side floor of your Jeep, on your back, with your head near the brake pedal. The pain you're feeling is normal, soon, it will travel from your neck and back to your wallet, but, since you own a Jeep, you're pretty used to it by now. Okay, there should be a little plastic box that's either right behind the shaft of the brake pedal, or in front of it, depending on if you're a 'glass half full/empty' person. That plastic thingie should have a tiny plastic plunger that's pressed against the shaft. (If you're picturing Will E. Coyote right now, you've just dated yourself. Welcome to my world. ) That plunger gets compressed when you step on the brakes. It activates a few things, like (surprise) your brake lights, but it also does stuff to tell the locking torque converter to unlock (if you have an auto), and the cruise control to disengage (if you have it).

Some times that plunger can get sticky, (or the guts get bent, I don't know how they work, I assume witchcraft is involved.) Sometimes they aren't lined up properly, or they just get worn out. You can check it by getting a helpful person to stand behind the Jeep, while you press the plunger with a little screwdriver. If your friend is a skinny contortionist, so much the better. Keep them around, they'll come in handy.

If the switch is screwy, you may want to either take it apart and play around with it, or get one from a scrap yard. IIRC they're oddly expensive from the dealership.

HTH!

thank you, will take a look tomarow