Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Steering wheel removal

I am working on my fiancé's 2000 Grand Cherokee. Have fixed some issues, but the clock spring needs replaced. I have removed the air bag, but no matter what type of steering wheel puller I use, the wheel won't budge. I have soaked it with PB Blaster, but so far it still won't budge. I am going crazy with this vehicle. Her dad bought it for her sight unseen, and ever since I have spent time and money getting this thing safe for her to drive. Can anybody offer a good way to remove this steering wheel? Please help!!!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Find out why it's not coming off. Has someone been in there before?

Worst case scenario is you go to a bone yard and pick up a whole steering wheel shaft assembly and bolt it into your Jeep and plug in all YOUR accessories to it.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Well, I have been inside the steering wheel, and it's apparent that someone else has worked on it at one time. The clock spring (which is what I am attempting to replace) is not the OEM part. From what I can tell, when the steering wheel was reinstalled, they forced it down over the splines without lining it up. I have been out there working on it for the last few days. I have been using a drift and a BFH, with very little success. Also lots of PB Blaster.

Where is the first place along the steering shaft that I could remove it? I don't want to go all the way out to the steering box if I don't have to.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Originally Posted by 2000JGC
Well, I have been inside the steering wheel, and it's apparent that someone else has worked on it at one time. The clock spring (which is what I am attempting to replace) is not the OEM part. From what I can tell, when the steering wheel was reinstalled, they forced it down over the splines without lining it up. I have been out there working on it for the last few days. I have been using a drift and a BFH, with very little success. Also lots of PB Blaster.

Where is the first place along the steering shaft that I could remove it? I don't want to go all the way out to the steering box if I don't have to.
There are splines under the dash where the steering wheel shaft connects to the intermediate shaft. There should also be a couple of bolts holding the steering wheel shaft to the dash with a bracket.

If you are unable to separate those, disconnecting from the steering box may be the other option.