Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A "what's this?" and 4cyl. head gasket questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 2.5ltr petrol
Default A "what's this?" and 4cyl. head gasket questions

Firstly, can someone please tell me what this part is, in the attached photo? It was lodged down behind the engine management boxes by the inner fender, and is about 11" long, stamped steel.

Secondly, any tips on replacing a failed head gasket on a 2.5ltr four? Is gasket failure a common problem? The Cherokee was bought with core plug issues so it is possible it had been overheated.

Quick re-cap: bought a '99 Sport 2.5ltr gasoline / 5-speed manual with rusted out core plugs in the cylinder head.

I replaced the plugs, got the Jeep back together and put it on the road at the beginning of the month. I noticed from the outset that it didn't run smoothly after start-up and sometimes stumbled while driving along - nothing like the free-revving 2.5 in my '93 YJ so something was obviously up with it. I also noticed a lot of vapour from the exhaust when first started.

Anyway, last night I decided to do the obvious, as in check the easiest stuff first, so started to pull the plugs, First problem was when pulling the plug leads off the distributor cap a couple of the electrodes pulled straight out of the cap! Hoping this might be the cause of the problem I started to remove the plugs to be sure. Numbers 2, 3, and 4 came out very clean, although maybe a bit big on the gaps. To get #1 out I had to loosen the serpentine belt and unbolt the A/C compressor (great engineering design there!), but once the plug was out it was covered with rust :-(

I checked inside the cylinder with an endoscope and could see a ring of water glistening around the top of the barrel, so seems to confirm to me that the gasket has failed somewhere around there.

Thoughts, tips, advice please? Not so easy to pop down to the local pull-a-part or engine reman shop over here so fixing it myself is really my only option. Gaskets and parts will probably come from Rockauto - they list Fel Pro gaskets which were usually decent quality back when I messed with other brand engines. I'd rather be driving it, but that part will have to wait.
Attached Thumbnails A "what's this?" and 4cyl. head gasket questions-dscn6164s.jpg  
Old 04-17-2018, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Rockauto is great.... until you hjave a problem, and then you have a problem.

FelPro is the way I'd go. Are you driving it while you wait? If not, I'd pop a few ounces of Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder to soak those rings. It's just a good opportunity, and for the rusty cylinder, may keep them from rusting to the cylinder walls.

I have no clue on that part. Looks like it might be a retainer strap of some kind, but....
Old 04-18-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 2.5ltr petrol

Thanks Mark. Rockauto are great for us over here as they have complete shipping options that include prepaid import duty, so the parts arrive quickly and don't sit around for days at our Royal Mail depots. I had a problem once where they sent a part and the wrong one was in the box. It wasn't their fault but they shipped out a correct replacement FOC and let me keep the wrong piece (it's a 317 Lincoln Y-block water pump and they are so rare over here that I still have it ).

I think they were also listing Mahle gaskets that I have also heard of, but no experience with. Good idea on the MM oil, might do that.

The part may not even belong to the XJ, but hopefully someone may recognise it!