Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94´cherokee 4cyl knock when engaging 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 94´cherokee 4cyl knock when engaging 1st gear

Hi all,
I have just bought a 94, 4cyl petrol cherokee with a couple of faults!
1, when I engage 1st gear there is a slight knock. I have checked the amount of play in the rear prop shaft and that seems ok but the front prop shaft has half an inch of play when i turn it left/right. Can any thing be done or am I looking in the wrong place?
also the transmission whines a bit in 1st and 2nd gear is this normal?
and last of all, when i select reverse gear from a standstill i have to pump the clutch pedal a couple of times to engage reverse, I have looked where the slave cylinder is and it seems to be inside the transmission case? there are two pipes exiting from a large oval rubber boot. Can i remove the boot and then the slave cylinder?
Thanks!
Old 02-02-2009, 04:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

1st off, I must say I love your terminology!! When you describe your sound as a "knock", I think motor knock. Are you hearing more of a thumping or banging from your drivetrain?? I am assuming you hear ther noise from the undercarriage because you describe checking the prop/ drive shaft's. As far as your play in the front prop/ drive shaft, a half an inch is not much to worry about. You say " when you engage 1st gear" does the sound come right when you put it into gear or when your driving in 1st gear or when?? Tranny whine is pretty common, if your really concerned, you could change the fluid/ lube. As far as your tranny and reverse, make sure your clutch master cylinder has plenty of fluid and I believe you have to do more than just remove the rubber boot to get to the slave cylinder. If you have a "knock" when you engage 1st, the tranny "whines" and the tranny wont engage reverse until you pump the clutch pedal then I would be so inclined to believe you might have some significant tanny issues and might start thinking of finding a replacement tranny.
Good Luck!!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:23 AM

I greased up all the U/V joints on the prop shafts and it sounds a bit better.
The "knock" I mentioned is like a clunk when I pull awy in 1st or if I am driving along in a gear, then take my foot of the gas then put it on the gas again?
it a small clunk that sounds like it comes from the back of the jeep?
Also can I grease up the front steering U/J´s ? as there are no grease nipples anywhere which I think is very dumb!!
I am used to working on Range Rovers and Land Rovers!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok, now you describe it like that I have a pretty good idea as to what your speaking of. You have what sounds like excess movement in your rear drive/ prop shaft. Specifically where it bolts to the rear axle. Alot of the time the rear yoke will have play in it just due to wear and tear or the rear drive/ prop shaft will have worn out U joints. Either way as long as it is not VERY loud and destructive sounding and you arent doing any burn outs with it, you will probably be ok. Unfortunatly you cannot grease the front steering assembly. The U joints are sealed and have grease inside them. And just a friendly reminder, I would not promote Range Rover or Land Rover on a Jeep Cherokee website!! Might not go over too well. Either way I would put a Cherokee up against any range or land any day of the week!! That is just my friendly 2 cents!! Good Luck!!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:33 AM

Hi matey,
I wasnt plugging landys or rangys!, They are heaps of junk!
Thats why I bought a Cherokee!
I thought it might be the propshaft U/J´s .
Can replacement U/J´s be bought seperately? and not the entire prop shaft with them fitted.
and where might I get them?
I am a brit living in Spain hence I dont want anything to do with England, i.e buying parts from there!
P.s Now I have ripped out that annoying buzzer from the fusebox I hope I dont leave my keys in the igntion and lock them in!!
I love the jeep by the way!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Glad to hear your affection for Jeeps is concurrent with mine. To anwser your question, yes you can buy them seperate and depending on which joint on your drive/ prop shaft you need replaced would depend on wether or not your can do it or if it needs to be pressed into the drive/ prop shaft with either a press or vice. You can probably find what you need online so you can stay away from England. Good Luck!! P.S. Lst's see some pics of the your UK Rig!!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:15 AM

I bought it here in Spain so its a left hand drive.
I am waiting for some summit racing auto drag wheels to arrive then I will post a pic.
They should look cool on it!!
They look the same as centerline auto drag 2 wheels.