Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What would you charge?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What would you charge?

So my neighbor goes out of town last weekend ans asks me to do some work on his '94 Cherokee 4X4. Here's what I did to it over the last weekend:

front shocks
plugs
wires
cap
rotor
oil change
front brakes
fuel filter
stabilizer end links
adjust headlights
rotated tires
charged battery

I'm also going to take the vehicle to have the windshield replaced.

Parts alone are $260 plus $110 for the windshield for a total of $370 in parts. What would you charge in labor? I'm not sure what to charge the guy. Spent about 10 hours total on it over 2 weekend days. After working on it, I think I'm gonna buy one myself. They're rugged, easy to work on, and reasonably priced.............and **** it, I'll take a 4th vehicle!

Here's the pics:

http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/z...2/Pats%20Jeep/

http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/z...eep%20day%202/
Old 09-28-2010, 09:18 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

You work at an auto shop? If not, I'd just charge him for the parts and a case or two of beer. Then if anything goes wrong he won't be able to whine much.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:24 AM

No no shop, just my garage. And I don't drink, just water.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Well, if you think about it, a hundred bucks would only be $10 an hour, which seems reasonable to me. Like, very reasonable. [A shop would charge 3, 4, 5 times that!] If you did all that to my XJ and asked for a hundred, I wouldn't blink, and I'm really poor!

Also, please move to Michigan, so I don't have to replace these front shocks myself. The lower mounting nuts/bolts are so rusted you can't tell they used to be hex-shaped!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by robguitargod1
So my neighbor goes out of town last weekend ans asks me to do some work on his '94 Cherokee 4X4. Here's what I did to it over the last weekend:

front shocks
plugs
wires
cap
rotor
oil change
front brakes
fuel filter
stabilizer end links
adjust headlights
rotated tires
charged battery

I'm also going to take the vehicle to have the windshield replaced.

Parts alone are $260 plus $110 for the windshield for a total of $370 in parts. What would you charge in labor? I'm not sure what to charge the guy. Spent about 10 hours total on it over 2 weekend days. After working on it, I think I'm gonna buy one myself. They're rugged, easy to work on, and reasonably priced.............and **** it, I'll take a 4th vehicle!

Here's the pics:

http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/z...2/Pats%20Jeep/

http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/z...eep%20day%202/
I used to have my own shop years ago and now I'm in the home renovation business. My experince may help.
Got a few questions for you first.
1. Is he a "Good" friend or just an aquaintance?
2. Was some sort of renumeration discussed before he left?
3. Did he pay for the parts up front?

1. If he's a real good bud then just get a couple of cases of beer and a promise to help you when you are moving or need the house painted. Seriously! I have had some supposedly good friendships ruined because they thought I would do the work "FOR NOTHING" which brings me to.....
2. Unless something was discussed before I'll bet dollars to donuts he's scheming like a bandit on how to get out of paying you "ANYTHING" at all even for the parts which leads me to....
3. I'll bet you paid for the parts yourself. And when your neighbour gets back he'll be SURPRISED that you want any money at all and that you went way over whatever miniscule budget amount he had in mind.

The work you performed at my shop would have been worth $5-600 in labour. Remember you have all the tools and premises to pay for as well as your time which should never be given away free even to relatives. Becasue then they will value your time the same way you have. Worth nothing.
I once did an extensive tune up on a "Friend's" 67 Corvette. Spent 3 hours of shop time and about $50 in parts. At the time I had a $40,000 Allen Test Scope (which has been replaced by the $100 OBDC reader) that I used to diagnose a bad ground. Car ran like a scalded cat after I was done. Friend was suprised that I asked for the money for the parts. Never spoke to me again.
Recently I again broke my own rules and gave a "Friend" a smoking deal on replacing a garage door and blowing out a wall to add another one at the back of his garage. We agreed to a price. I did a better than usual job meaning I did things that would have cost extra. I ended up losing money as it cut into another job I had lined up. He found out Home depot was having a sale on garage doors a month after I did the work and has now refused to finish paying his bill.

Just a couple of the horror stories I have of working for "Friends".

Just saying.... be careful.

Year: 1988
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4l

I charge 40% of parts. 370 *.40== 148. I would ask $150
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997

To me anyway my time is worth money- and this is your weeked that you just sacrificed to do his work. I'd charge at least $200- still far cheaper than taking it to a shop and having it done. I'm kinda surprised you didn't talk with him about compensation before he left.

Really it comes down to what is your time worth to you and how good of a friend he is.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by 3278
Well, if you think about it, a hundred bucks would only be $10 an hour, which seems reasonable to me. Like, very reasonable. [A shop would charge 3, 4, 5 times that!] If you did all that to my XJ and asked for a hundred, I wouldn't blink, and I'm really poor!

Also, please move to Michigan, so I don't have to replace these front shocks myself. The lower mounting nuts/bolts are so rusted you can't tell they used to be hex-shaped!

Aww man those shocks are CAKE! Especially if you have an impact. Wack em a few times with a hammer to knock the rust off then hit it with some penetrating lubricant and they'll be just fine. You might have to pound a socket on em if it's rusted to an odd/in-between size.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cherockee
To me anyway my time is worth money- and this is your weeked that you just sacrificed to do his work. I'd charge at least $200- still far cheaper than taking it to a shop and having it done. I'm kinda surprised you didn't talk with him about compensation before he left.

Really it comes down to what is your time worth to you and how good of a friend he is.
He said he'd pay me what I wanted, so I wasn't worried. The guys a new neighbor living RIGHT next door so I'm happy to help. I think $200 sounds about right.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jamie57
I used to have my own shop years ago and now I'm in the home renovation business. My experince may help.
Got a few questions for you first.
1. Is he a "Good" friend or just an aquaintance?
2. Was some sort of renumeration discussed before he left?
3. Did he pay for the parts up front?

1. If he's a real good bud then just get a couple of cases of beer and a promise to help you when you are moving or need the house painted. Seriously! I have had some supposedly good friendships ruined because they thought I would do the work "FOR NOTHING" which brings me to.....
2. Unless something was discussed before I'll bet dollars to donuts he's scheming like a bandit on how to get out of paying you "ANYTHING" at all even for the parts which leads me to....
3. I'll bet you paid for the parts yourself. And when your neighbour gets back he'll be SURPRISED that you want any money at all and that you went way over whatever miniscule budget amount he had in mind.

The work you performed at my shop would have been worth $5-600 in labour. Remember you have all the tools and premises to pay for as well as your time which should never be given away free even to relatives. Becasue then they will value your time the same way you have. Worth nothing.
I once did an extensive tune up on a "Friend's" 67 Corvette. Spent 3 hours of shop time and about $50 in parts. At the time I had a $40,000 Allen Test Scope (which has been replaced by the $100 OBDC reader) that I used to diagnose a bad ground. Car ran like a scalded cat after I was done. Friend was suprised that I asked for the money for the parts. Never spoke to me again.
Recently I again broke my own rules and gave a "Friend" a smoking deal on replacing a garage door and blowing out a wall to add another one at the back of his garage. We agreed to a price. I did a better than usual job meaning I did things that would have cost extra. I ended up losing money as it cut into another job I had lined up. He found out Home depot was having a sale on garage doors a month after I did the work and has now refused to finish paying his bill.

Just a couple of the horror stories I have of working for "Friends".

Just saying.... be careful.
I've paid for all parts, yes. He's been out of town for a week and a half but we have talked on the phone 3 times and I've emailed back and forth with him including the detailed pics I posted at the beginning of this thread. I'm still thinking $200. Sound fair? Input? I'm a helluva good judge of character, and this guy seems straight.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by robguitargod1
I'm still thinking $200. Sound fair? Input? I'm a helluva good judge of character, and this guy seems straight.
$200 seems totally fair to me. If he disagrees, work out a revised number with him and tell him to pound sand the next time he comes calling for repair work. Maybe he needs to be thrown over the pickle barrel by a repair shop next time to realize what a bargain he got at $200 labor!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 91 Limited

Sounds cool with me, plus since your cheap he might give you more work. I mean, if he is becoming a friend dont rip him off.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

Between $150-200.....no more. Its a fair amount of work and you've saved him a lot just doing the shocks (think they charges $50 per corner for labor by me in NY).
Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Spunkmeyer
$200 seems totally fair to me. If he disagrees, work out a revised number with him and tell him to pound sand the next time he comes calling for repair work. Maybe he needs to be thrown over the pickle barrel by a repair shop next time to realize what a bargain he got at $200 labor!
I'm sure he'll be just fine with $200.

Originally Posted by Destination XJ
Sounds cool with me, plus since your cheap he might give you more work. I mean, if he is becoming a friend dont rip him off.
Yeah I'd never do that! I live alone and so does he so there's always times when you need an extra hand.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by GS Audio
Between $150-200.....no more. Its a fair amount of work and you've saved him a lot just doing the shocks (think they charges $50 per corner for labor by me in NY).
DAMN!

Quick Reply: What would you charge?