Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What sensors are on ccd bus

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default What sensors are on ccd bus

Hi I'm having the ccd no bus error, already tried the basics, I'm down to checking all modules located on the ccd bus, anybody have a list of all of them? I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee sport 4wd with no overhead console. I just need a list of sensors. Cluster is good, connectors are good.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

PCM, TCM, overhead module which includes RKE not just the overhead console, instrument cluster, OBD2 connector, airbag control module, SKIM. That may not be all inclusive, but a lot of the sensors go straight to the PCM/TCM with 5v analog signals, then the PCM or TCM put the readings on the CCD bus.

How do you know the cluster is good? When you say "connectors are good" which connectors are you talking about?

Do you have a factory service manual? They are inexpensive and will help you out a LOT here. The circuits in question are D1 and D2.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:43 PM

I do not have an fsm, and by connectors I mean the instrument connectors I already got the replacements and spliced them in, tried the cluster in another 01 xj and it worked, tried the other and it didn't work in mine, I get the 5v for the twisted pair at the odb connector and the pcm so I'm sure it's a sensor that is causing the issue. I've also been told that the radio, power windows and overhead lamp are connected to the ccd bus is that true? And what is rke?
Old 10-13-2017, 08:48 PM

You're new here so I don't know your level of proficiency. Forgive me if I explain things you already understand, I'm not trying to be condescending just trying to speak to the lowest common denominator. The fact that you know what the CCD bus is tells me you know more than a lot of people, but I'm still going to try to explain stuff.

Originally Posted by 01xj1st
I do not have an fsm,
Go buy you one right now. It's $8.
http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html

Seriously, go buy it. You'll use it for as long as you own that XJ. I am not affiliated with them at all, other than buying FSMs from them myself.

Got it yet?

Okay good.

and by connectors I mean the instrument connectors I already got the replacements and spliced them in,
Define "spliced them in." Electrical tape, solder, wire strippers, new crimped ends inserted in to a new Instrument Cluster C1/C2...

tried the cluster in another 01 xj and it worked, tried the other and it didn't work in mine, I get the 5v for the twisted pair at the odb connector and the pcm
This is good troubleshooting Have you performed an instrument cluster self test? I mean, it sounds like you've eliminated that but it's a good thing to know about. To run the cluster self diagnostic test, push and hold the trip/reset button then turn the key to the on position and let go once you see said test commence.

Do you get 5V at the CCD pins for the instrument cluster? They are on pins 1 and 2 of Instrument Cluster C2.

If you connect a standard OBD2 scanner to the OBD port, do you get readings?

Have you had someone with a DRBIII scan tool (IE, a dealer) scan the system for faults with the CCD bus?

Does the jeep start?

Everything on the CCD bus goes to the Diagnostic Splice Block behind the dash. It's very hard to get to. My suspicion is that there is something with the wiring between your Diagnostic Splice Block and the Instrument Cluster C2 connector.

so I'm sure it's a sensor that is causing the issue.
No sensors are connected to the CCD bus. Sensors are connected to the PCM, the TCM, and the compass module (which you don't have if you don't have an overhead console).

Do you suspect that one of the sensors is sending a faulty signal to the PCM, corrupting the signal to the Instrument Cluster?

I've also been told that the radio, power windows and overhead lamp are connected to the ccd bus is that true?
No. It might be true on later Grand Cherokees but not on your XJ

And what is rke?
Remote Keyless Entry. It's in your dome light.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Disconnect the crank sensor and turn the key. If the No Bus error is gone, replace the crank sensor.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by wizardpc
You're new here so I don't know your level of proficiency. Forgive me if I explain things you already understand, I'm not trying to be condescending just trying to speak to the lowest common denominator. The fact that you know what the CCD bus is tells me you know more than a lot of people, but I'm still going to try to explain stuff.

Go buy you one right now. It's $8.
http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html

Seriously, go buy it. You'll use it for as long as you own that XJ. I am not affiliated with them at all, other than buying FSMs from them myself.

Got it yet?

Okay good.

Define "spliced them in." Electrical tape, solder, wire strippers, new crimped ends inserted in to a new Instrument Cluster C1/C2...

This is good troubleshooting Have you performed an instrument cluster self test? I mean, it sounds like you've eliminated that but it's a good thing to know about. To run the cluster self diagnostic test, push and hold the trip/reset button then turn the key to the on position and let go once you see said test commence.

Do you get 5V at the CCD pins for the instrument cluster? They are on pins 1 and 2 of Instrument Cluster C2.

If you connect a standard OBD2 scanner to the OBD port, do you get readings?

Have you had someone with a DRBIII scan tool (IE, a dealer) scan the system for faults with the CCD bus?

Does the jeep start?

Everything on the CCD bus goes to the Diagnostic Splice Block behind the dash. It's very hard to get to. My suspicion is that there is something with the wiring between your Diagnostic Splice Block and the Instrument Cluster C2 connector.

No sensors are connected to the CCD bus. Sensors are connected to the PCM, the TCM, and the compass module (which you don't have if you don't have an overhead console).

Do you suspect that one of the sensors is sending a faulty signal to the PCM, corrupting the signal to the Instrument Cluster?

No. It might be true on later Grand Cherokees but not on your XJ

Remote Keyless Entry. It's in your dome light.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzBS-l2sgLo
I will definitely buy one as soon as I can probably Tuesday. I have tried the cluster self test and it passed, and by sensor I mean modules the twisted pair would go through I.e. the cps or skim, I haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer yet, I live in the middle of nowhere Missouri and the nearest one wants roughly $120 just to scan it with a drb3. And yes I do think there is a faulty or corrupted signal. All lights on my dash work but my gauges don't move, except my oil pressure gauge will rise a fraction of an inch. So my next step tomorrow will be to disconnect sensors one at a time to see if I can pin point were there could be an issue. And by spliced I mean I ordered replacement c1 and c2 connectors and used '16 gauge water proof heat shrink butt connectors' and solder to insure a good connection (I build computers and fix electronics alot).
Old 10-14-2017, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Disconnect the crank sensor and turn the key. If the No Bus error is gone, replace the crank sensor.
Experience wins every time.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/no-...-sensor-33348/

Well that's embarrassing. Apparently a bad sensor to the PCM can cause your problem. It's very easy to check in any case.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:36 PM

Well I'm still trying to find a complete list of were all the sensors are that the ccd bus runs through...Makes me miss manual gauges and sensors.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:43 PM

Ok well I one by one disconnected the cps, cam shaft sensor, rke, tcm, airbag control module, even the tps speed sensor battery temp sensor then checked my odometer, and every time I still get the no bus code and gauges still won't work. I get 60 ohms resistance with battery disconnected, I get my 2.5v at dlc on both wires, my pcm is good my cluster is good already got new connectors on cluster I'm on the verge of demo derby this POS and going back to owning a chevy.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:11 AM

Ok well I one by one disconnected the cps, cam shaft sensor, rke, tcm, airbag control module, even the tps speed sensor battery temp sensor then checked my odometer, and every time I still get the no bus code and gauges still won't work. I get 60 ohms resistance with battery disconnected, I get my 2.5v at dlc on both wires, my pcm is good my cluster is good already got new connectors on cluster I'm on the verge of demo derby this POS and going back to owning a chevy.
Did you ever end up figuring it out? I'm going through a near identical situation with mine
Old 02-16-2024, 01:50 PM

Received 268 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Welcome to the forum....this post is from 2017 and you probably won't get an answer... you may want to post your problem along with year, model, engine and transmission to get some help.