Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Weird starting issue

Old 10-16-2018, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Weird starting issue

Hey guys. I have a 96 Cherokee 4L "Classic" edition (with power windows/locks). I have a weird starting issue. I went to start it one day and it turned over once and then stopped, heard nothing but click click after that. I hooked up my truck to try to boost it because i thought it was the battery, but that didn't work, still wouldn't start. So I changed the starter cuz I thought if I hooked up the battery and it still doesn't start, it must be the starter. Then today, it refused to start again, only this time I unplugged the battery to check the starter connections, and when I plugged the battery back in, fired up no problem. Now it's been doing it semi-regularly, and when it refused to turn over, I unplug the battery for a bit, plug it back in, and bob's your uncle. When it refuses to start other electrical things still work, and it makes a "click" at the starter. Could it be wires? Relay? the wires look good but could be degraded inside? Everything looks good, I'm not sure where to look.

I tried a search but there's too many "starting" issues on here!

Thanks
Old 10-16-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like you have a bad connection at the battery. Have you checked to make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight?
Old 10-16-2018, 03:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Garrett S.
Sounds like you have a bad connection at the battery. Have you checked to make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight?
Thanks for your response,

Ya I thought that too, but the connections are SUPER clean and not insecure at all, posts don't wiggle at all... no corrosion whatsoever.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes the cables get corrosion inside them under the insulation. Do you have to disconnect the battery to make it work? It could just be you pulling on the wires that makes it work.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee

I had this issue more than once. Even when I thought everything was tight it wasn’t tight enough. One Jeep I ended up replacing all the cables. The other I replaced the ends and ended up replacing them a second time and also trimming the cables a bit. I would have to wiggle the cables several times before it would start. Also check the ground to the fender and the ground at the coil bracket.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Garrett S.
Sometimes the cables get corrosion inside them under the insulation. Do you have to disconnect the battery to make it work? It could just be you pulling on the wires that makes it work.
Hey,

I only have to disconnect the battery when it doesn't start, but that always makes it start afterward. I may try just wiggling them a lot to see if that works, or pull on them... I will play around! Thanks
Old 10-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Waynerd
I had this issue more than once. Even when I thought everything was tight it wasn’t tight enough. One Jeep I ended up replacing all the cables. The other I replaced the ends and ended up replacing them a second time and also trimming the cables a bit. I would have to wiggle the cables several times before it would start. Also check the ground to the fender and the ground at the coil bracket.
Hey,
Thanks for the advice, I will check the grounds to make sure they're doing well, I haven't checked those yet. maybe it' worth getting some new contacts, even though they really look very clean and they seem very tight. Maybe I'll get some corrosion cleaner and a brush and clean them anyway. Only reason I haven't is because they seriously look brand new (maybe old owner changed them due to starting issues?) I will check grounds though, good advice. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2018, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Gotta look at the basic "cause and effect" principle.

If playing with the battery cables temporarily fixes the problem......those cables are suspect.

What you could do is when it happens again is take a multimeter and measure the voltage DIRECTLY at the starter itself. If the starter isn't getting almost full battery voltage at the starter, then you need to start working your way up towards the battery. I doubt that this is a "control" issue like the NSS as you are hearing a click. You may have to replace a cable here, no matter how the cable ends look.