Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Weird noise after new bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Weird noise after new bushings

Replaced sway bar bushings and purchased new linkage kit.. All moog. Greased everything very well with standard chassis grease..

The Problem:

I'm getting a noise that sounds like a tire is rubbing (only while turning).. more so on the left hand turn but the right as well.. Now I'm pretty sure it is impossible that a tire is rubbing "just used that example for the sound of it.." Can't find any marks that would indicate the tire is rubbing..

Hopefully the bushings are just getting worked in and it will quiet down soon?

Let me know thoughts.. Thanks all
Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

eh.
Let it go a few days and see if it goes away.
Keep checking for pre-mature wear on stuff.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 PM

Update:

The sound started getting worse.. I had some time to get under there and check things out to look for premature wear.. Nothing that I could find.. I went ahead and started adjusting how tight all link bushings were to see if that might be it, nothing.. I took the sway bar and links completely off just to find out the noise was just as bad without it, which sucks!! apparently the problem arose nearly the same time as I replaced everything.. I have no idea what is going on now..

The sound is kinda like wa wa wa wa wa lol I feel like a bad episode of car guys. the tighter and slower the turn, the worse it gets. Nothing when its going strait. it sounds like a rubbing noise but nothing is rubbing.. my thoughts are u-joints, ball joints? but can't understand how it would make that sound. I hope its not a diff issue. let me know though, thanks.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 PM

though I might add more to the sound.. its a bit squeaky which makes me think no on the diff
Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Wheel bearings?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 PM

I thought about that but I've heard what wheel bearings sound like when they go out on other vehicles, never on xj though.. Wheel bearings sound like more of a consistent hum in my experience. Have you had different experiences?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by davejelly
I thought about that but I've heard what wheel bearings sound like when they go out on other vehicles, never on xj though.. Wheel bearings sound like more of a consistent hum in my experience. Have you had different experiences?
Remember we have bearings incased in a hub not on a spindle .Did this noise exist b4 replacing bushings ?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:14 PM

Nope. If I were to pick a worse side I would say the left turn, yet I still hear plenty of noise turning right.. It almost sounds like it gets bound up when it gets real tight and slow.. Does this sound characteristic of a hub bearing? Thanks for your help btw
Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by davejelly
Nope. If I were to pick a worse side I would say the left turn, yet I still hear plenty of noise turning right.. It almost sounds like it gets bound up when it gets real tight and slow.. Does this sound characteristic of a hub bearing? Thanks for your help btw
What did you remove if anything to do bushings ? Besides old bushings and sway bar ?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 PM

replaced sway bar links and bushings as well with a moog kit. For the longest time I thought it was just squeaky bushings but then it got worse so I pulled everything off just to realize it did it without swaybar/linkbar/bushings.. also put a new steering stabilizer in about a month ago.

More information that might help diagnosis: when I was putting the sway bar back on I could not get it to align perfectly for the life of me. I later decided that it could be do to slightly uneven ground in my apartment complex parking lot(garage) (: I can't imagine an alignment issue could get that bad in such a small amount of time.. Not sure if that helps
Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Id jack front up support axle on jack stands turn wheels and spin each tire by hand see what gives .