Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vehicle pulls to right. Steering wheel wont center correctly.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Vehicle pulls to right. Steering wheel wont center correctly.

Zj 4.0 selectrack. 1997 make. 93k miles.

We have owned this car for almost 1 year. I replaced all bushings on suspension elements on both front and rear axis. replaced old tires with new ones. slightly adjusted steering box. I adjusted steering wheel center position. Those actions affected ride quality and inline stability of car on highway speeds positively. No rolling feeling, no swaying, no wandering on road.There is no dead space on steering machanism, it responds every little movement i made on steering wheel, but it tends to go right when driving on slowest lane on highways, and it tends to go left less than right side when driving on faster lanes on same highway. When going right i need to apply a correction on steering wheel by turnign it to left 1 degree or so.

In addition to this, on flat highway, like concrete bridges, car can go straight. after turning steering wheel to right or left to pass a car infront, steering wheel tends to center itself when turnign to right or left or crossing, but cant do this %100 percent on highway speeds. it cant return back to center point exactly. it stays off center 1 degrees or less. and car keeps going to that direction.

Toe in toe out adjustment is ok, pull is not so evident when full time 4wd is engaged, when on 2wd all times, problem is more evident-when car is faster than 40 mph. below this treshold speed, you cant feel the pull. Steering is feather light when travelling on highway speeds. (feels like overinflated tires on concrete surface of parking lot and i hate this)

I wonder if ZJ caster adjsutment done correctly and if you have FSM, can somebody tell me what should be the correct caster angles for selectrac ZJ?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:19 AM
Seasoned Member

ok, i solved. writing this to inform someone who may need same information.

we adjusted caster settings to 6.9 left to 7.3, and 7.2 to 7.55 on right.
there is a slight crosscaster adjustment but result is very good. steering wheel return back to center point and car does not pull to right side anymore.

then toe in adn steering position adjustment has been done. now it is ok. FYI.

ps.i realized that caster preset setting in hunter adjustment machine can be different for 4x4 and 4x2 models. but i am not sure if those 4x2 section is for selectrac transfer case or native 2wd version of grand cherokee.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:24 AM
Seasoned Member

update

i replaced my shocks with monroe sensatrack. 3 of my shocks are in really in bad condition and one at back was loosing oil.

now car rides little harsh than before but does not lean to one side or wont "roll" during hard turns and drives better on road. it also tend to go straight much better than ever.

so conclusion is, if you fix everything and if ZJ or XJ still pulls to a side, check your shocks.

fyi. ( if somebody is still reading ) sometimes i feel like i am writing own by own.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

Good writeup sir!

KUDOS

cpnwrench

Old 09-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Seasoned Member

update:

after 1400 miles trip with new shocks,

i wanted to re adjust caster settings. measurements told us that after new shocks, caster angles gone more positive and this is why i feel steering wheel response much better. but, we found that cross caster difference is lower than adjusted on old shocks. almost equal and car was drifting to right more than i used to before. now i am tryign 8.10 to 8.35 left and right respectively. seems car goes straight this time and do not eager to follow slope to right.

i wonder if too much caster will cause anything?