Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Valve seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Valve seal replacement

Is it easier to take the head off to replace valve seals or leave it on? If I take it off should I take the head and have it checked for flatness and cracks since there is nothing wrong with the head gasket? Any special tools needed to take the springs off?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

If you have a air compressor you can hollow out a spark plug and clamp a hose from it to the hollow spark plug. Then just do one cylinder at a time by putting your jig in place of the good spark plug fill with air back clamp your air hose to keep the air in the cylinder and use a special style valve spring compressor which i believe you can "rent" from your favorite parts store.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:09 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by 944.0
Is it easier to take the head off to replace valve seals or leave it on? If I take it off should I take the head and have it checked for flatness and cracks since there is nothing wrong with the head gasket? Any special tools needed to take the springs off?
If you're replacing the valve guides, I'd just pull off the head and have a machine shop make it like new. Got mine done for about $75 + new head gasket etc. If I recall correctly, the valves are ground with the new guides installed so they seat properly.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:52 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by 944.0
I've done them in the Jeep before. Pretty easy. No more oil burning either.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Besides compressed air;

You can feed a length of small braided nylon cord into the spark plug hole then CAREFULLY BY HAND, turn the engine via the crank pulley bolt to bring a piston there up on compression to hold the valves up while you change the seals.

Assuming you left the end of the cord out, you then just remove it and go to the next, (in the firing order).

I wouldn't want to twist the braided nylon, or use something that might tangle up in there. (feed it straight in).

Just thought you guys might like that one, I haven't tried it myself. (I did learn that a 72 cu/ft SCUBA tank only holds enough air to do two).
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

[QUOTE=DFlintstone;1634105]Besides compressed air;

You can feed a length of small braided nylon cord into the spark plug hole then CAREFULLY BY HAND, turn the engine via the crank pulley bolt to bring a piston there up on compression to hold the valves up while you change the seals.

Assuming you left the end of the cord out, you then just remove it and go to the next, (in the firing order).

I wouldn't want to twist the braided nylon, or use something that might tangle up in there. (feed it straight in).

Just thought you guys might like that one, I haven't tried it myself. (I did learn that a 72 cu/ft SCUBA tank only holds enough air to do two).

I've done the rope trick. Works well. Rent/borrow/buy one of those spring compressors that collapse the valve springs without removing the head and you're in business.