Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Under hood purple/yellow wire

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Question Under hood purple/yellow wire

Under the hood coming out of the wire loom there is a yellow/purple or purple/yellow wire that has been cut/frayed. The only mention I can find of this color combination wire is the alarm wire that gets grounded to disable the alarm but all the posts I've read say that's in the driver's door. It's been raining so I haven't been able to pull the loom back. I'm wondering if anybody know what this should go to? Everything that I've checked so far works and the only issue I have found is a Code 27 for injector/driver not correct but none of the injector wires match this. I've also gone through at least 5 wiring diagrams from different sites that say they're for the 1993 Cherokee and cannot locate this combination on the chassis or engine diagrams.

Looks like I don't know how to get a picture in the thread without it being hosted offsite and linking so I can't get my pic here. When I click the Manage Attachments button it doesn't do anything. I know this will make it very difficult to help.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2018, 02:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

Save the image on your computer and then click the "Image" icon just to the left of the smilie when replying to a thread. You should get a popup to "Browse Your Device", along with "My Albums". Click the first one to upload the image straight from your computer. Try that. If you are using a mobile, i dont know if it works the same way as i dont use one.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:44 PM

I have the pic on my machine but I don't have all of the icons like I do on most forums. The only things I have are the Title bar, message body box, Current Attachments (with the manage attachments button that doesn't do anything) and Post Icons - this is after clicking on Go Advanced. Very weird - I wonder if I need a certain amount of posts before I can attach pics.
I was able to upload it to- User Control Panel -> Pictures & Albums -> My Post Pics
I'll do some searching in the suggestions area and see if I find anything then post back, hopefully with a picture.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:46 PM

Talking

Now I can't even edit that l just posted trying to use the img tag. This one worked!!!

Old 12-28-2018, 11:26 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Note from DJ
Information on your possible broken wire point.
XJs have a known chafing point where the harness is damaged.
Open link below it contains photos of 91XJ problem area.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/pcm...y-mind-220108/
Photos of 91XJ problem area
I also enlarged your photo for you
Hope this helps; don’t forget to post progress or information on solution that is how we all learn.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:21 AM

Note from DJ
More information your mystery Purple /Yellow wire may be actually be violet and grimy white.
Violet/White color wiring is used in both the MAP sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor I think.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:04 AM

I'm not sure why it made the pic so small, this whole not being able to post pics things has me baffled.

I will clean the wire really good and make sure on the colors and thanks for the link and info.
I will definitely post what I find. I get annoyed when I finally find a link that talks about the problem I have only to find the solution was not posted.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by djgrayxj
Violet/White color wiring is used in both the MAP sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor I think.
Haynes shows a violet/white wire for the TPS and MAP for 91 and later 4.0L.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:45 PM

Cleaned wire and it is definitely Purple/Yellow or Violet/Yellow but not white. Once it dries and warms up I will open the loom and see where the other end is.

Plus I would imagine I would get a CEL for MAP or TPS if it was that. Only CEL I have is for injector driver.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:16 AM

Note from DJ

I think you have two unrelated problems

Your Code 27 is caused by a chafed wire that you will find once you remove the cover off the wire channel attached to the fuel rail. Remove that cover and have a look if it was my Jeep I would leave it off; Chrysler Corp. didn’t leave enough slack wire in in that loom of wires.

Now on to the broken violet/yellow wire problem; that wire looks like it goes to the water temperature Gage sensor for the dash high temperature warning system. Have a look at the driver’s side rear corner of the engine below the valve cover for the sensor that it belongs to. Photo included.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:10 AM

Definately two different issues.

The temp sending wire makes sense and does look like that. It makes sense because the previous owner installed a stand alone water temp gauge. Down side - it didn't work either.

I will check this afternoon.

THANK YOU!!!
Old 12-31-2018, 05:37 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by djgrayxj
Now on to the broken violet/yellow wire problem; that wire looks like it goes to the water temperature gauge sensor for the dash high temperature warning system.
You nailed it! Got under the hood between rain showers and the plug to the sensor is actually missing - guess that's one reason the gauge wouldn't work. So now instead of just hooking it up I need to go to a junk yard and see if I can locate one.

Guess I will make a list of things I need. It's kind of no

Thanks for the help!!
Old 01-01-2019, 08:37 AM

Note from DJ

I need some simple clarification; does your instrument cluster have a temperature and oil pressure Gage or just warning lights?
And do you have a VOM multimeter?
And do you have a home computer or just a smart phone?
And the final question is the temperature sensor clean and shiny like a new one, or dirty like an old one?
Old 01-02-2019, 02:26 PM

I need some simple clarification; does your instrument cluster have a temperature and oil pressure Gage or just warning lights? Full gauges

And do you have a VOM multimeter? Yes, I do

And do you have a home computer or just a smart phone? Computr, tablet and phone

And the final question is the temperature sensor clean and shiny like a new one, or dirty like an old one? The sensor is dirty but it appears the connector has been removed recently because it is clean where the connector should be.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:08 AM

Could I get a favor from a couple of people that have a 93 (or whichever years are the same) to see if their temp sending unit is only a single wire? I'm finding both single and double pin sensors and I want to make sure I get the correct one and of course hook it up properly.

THANKS!