Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

?????? U-Joints ??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default ?????? U-Joints ??????

I have done some research on here and see that a lot of people recommend the spicer 760x u joints. they run about 60 bucks a pair shipped to the door. i just got off the phone with oreilly's and they have u joints called precision 369's for 9 buck a piece with a lifetime warranty. I asked them and they said they would replace them if they break.

I have a 98 xj with 4.5" lift and 32

what should i do?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

If you can afford it spend the dollars or carry spares. It looks like your jeep is stock,and any auto parts will tell you they will replace them,if you do not loose your receipt and abuse them.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

but will they come out to the trail to warranty it if one breaks?

i'd at least get the spicer 760s and carry the 9 dollar ones as spares.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mixed89
If you can afford it spend the dollars or carry spares. It looks like your jeep is stock,and any auto parts will tell you they will replace them,if you do not loose your receipt and abuse them.
Yea the first pic is stock but the rest are with the new lift on.

Originally Posted by caged
but will they come out to the trail to warranty it if one breaks?

i'd at least get the spicer 760s and carry the 9 dollar ones as spares.
Good point.
Thanks
Old 08-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

what good is a lifetime warranty if you have to replace it ever 10k miles? U-joints are not hard to replace... but its a hell of alot more work then i want to do ever 3 months..
Old 08-02-2009, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001

Not just replace them, but if when they break you could also trash a axle shaft. Get teh good ones..
Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 AM

Year: 1990

if your gonna run cheap u joints at least get a driveshaft loop to save everything under your rig when it does break cause i promise they will im running cromolly u joints on everything i have they have lasted 2 years on my f250 on 40s putting 720ft lbs to the flywheel so thats what i recommend for everything
Old 08-03-2009, 12:27 AM

i also have them on my 90 cherokee and my dads cj 5 and my moms titan they make them for pretty much everything
Old 08-03-2009, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jeepjeep90
if your gonna run cheap u joints at least get a driveshaft loop to save everything under your rig when it does break cause i promise they will im running cromolly u joints on everything i have they have lasted 2 years on my f250 on 40s putting 720ft lbs to the flywheel so thats what i recommend for everything

now when you say cromolly, are you talking about the material a certian u joint is made of? lik the spicers, are they cromolly? or is cromolly its own company? i have heard xtreme 4x4 talk about cromolly tubing on tv but thats about it. and how much do they run?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

no, spicers are not chromoly, but others such as ox, ctm, or yukon super joints are among the strongest available.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 AM

yukon super joints is the brand i run they have a cromolly joint 48 a piece on my mud truck
Old 08-04-2009, 06:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by caged
no, spicers are not chromoly, but others such as ox, ctm, or yukon super joints are among the strongest available.

Holly Crap i looked up ctm and ox u joints and never knew u joints could run that high. Yukon is doable but i will probably go with the spicers bc their is 5 just on the driveshafts

Thanks all for the info

I am replacing them because after i installed my lift i started getting a low humming and slight vibration coming from the rear from about 40 to 50 mph. i did some research and read that u ujoints have like a mechanical memory, where if they sit at a certian angle for a long time and then the angle changes, they can sound like that.

i have heard that i need a SYE with my 4.5" lift. i have tried researching that but have not come up with any firm prices.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 97

Originally Posted by warthog
Holly Crap i looked up ctm and ox u joints and never knew u joints could run that high. Yukon is doable but i will probably go with the spicers bc their is 5 just on the driveshafts

Thanks all for the info

I am replacing them because after i installed my lift i started getting a low humming and slight vibration coming from the rear from about 40 to 50 mph. i did some research and read that u ujoints have like a mechanical memory, where if they sit at a certian angle for a long time and then the angle changes, they can sound like that.

i have heard that i need a SYE with my 4.5" lift. i have tried researching that but have not come up with any firm prices.
i would say your vibration is coming from the lift, did you do a tc drop? when i recently did my lift i replaced the u-joints in the front end and changed my wheel bearings as well. i would say changing u-joints in the front axle is a very good investment.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CrawlnCoupe
i would say your vibration is coming from the lift, did you do a tc drop? when i recently did my lift i replaced the u-joints in the front end and changed my wheel bearings as well. i would say changing u-joints in the front axle is a very good investment.
Yea i did the tc drop but ran into some issues pulling those dang studs on each side (why would they set it up like that) there are two bolts on each side of the crossmember, one is an actual bolt and the other is a stud with a nut. so for the drop kit you have to remove the stud. thats were i ran into the problem. i couldnt get the stud out so on each side. i dicked one stud up so bad i cut it off flush with the frame. so i didnt even try to remove the stud on the other side. i now only have one bolt on each side holding the crossmember on with the tc drop. i check it everyday to make sure the drop has not migrated and losened up. but i know i need to get it fixed. i have tried drilling a hole in the middle of the bolt and using an ez out. didnt work. but next time i will have the pb blaster ready. this could be causing the noise and slight vibration also. but deffinetly need new u joints
Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 97

Originally Posted by warthog
Yea i did the tc drop but ran into some issues pulling those dang studs on each side (why would they set it up like that) there are two bolts on each side of the crossmember, one is an actual bolt and the other is a stud with a nut. so for the drop kit you have to remove the stud. thats were i ran into the problem. i couldnt get the stud out so on each side. i dicked one stud up so bad i cut it off flush with the frame. so i didnt even try to remove the stud on the other side. i now only have one bolt on each side holding the crossmember on with the tc drop. i check it everyday to make sure the drop has not migrated and losened up. but i know i need to get it fixed. i have tried drilling a hole in the middle of the bolt and using an ez out. didnt work. but next time i will have the pb blaster ready. this could be causing the noise and slight vibration also. but deffinetly need new u joints
hahaha, ya i have 3 holding mine in right now, it was one of the regular bolts decided to snap on me. i was having a hard time with the studs until i put a little heat on them and they came right out. i'm still trying to figure out a way to get the snapped bolt out of there.

Quick Reply: ?????? U-Joints ??????