Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Triangle swivel window broke.. now what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Triangle swivel window broke.. now what?

I locked my keys inside the jeep in a parking lot so I ripped off my rear wiper arm and used it to try and pry open the little front corner window that swivels (hoping the tabs holding it in would break) but instead the glass shattered and flew into me and cut me everywhere. I walked into the Ale house looking like I just got into a knife fight hahah.. My question to you all is, is there any way I can get a new one of those windows at the junkyard or something? Or is the swivel mechanism structured into the door itself, requiring me to get a whole new door? The little rod at the bottom of the window snapped off (was rusted). I feel like im pretty much screwed. Here are some pics..

Old 04-12-2009, 03:40 PM

Engine: 4.0 L

You can get a new window. Just look should not be to hard to find. You don need a whole new door. And if worse comes to worse. Cut a piece of lexan plexi glass and fit it in there for temp. Sorry to see that bud. sad day
Old 04-12-2009, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Keep a spare door key in your wallet - comes in handy (I still wear my dog tags when I leave the house - it's come in handy. So, I put my spare door keys on there.)

Any vent window, 1984-1996, should work. That will allow you to expand your search. Also, if you end up wanting to convert from a smoker's window to a fixed window (or the other way,) all you need to do is find a pair of what you want.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:44 PM

Thanks man \= It did suck.. Do you know how to safely (without breaking it lol) remove that little window? Are there like hidden bolts or something in the door?
Old 04-12-2009, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 5-90
Keep a spare door key in your wallet - comes in handy (I still wear my dog tags when I leave the house - it's come in handy. So, I put my spare door keys on there.)

Any vent window, 1984-1996, should work. That will allow you to expand your search. Also, if you end up wanting to convert from a smoker's window to a fixed window (or the other way,) all you need to do is find a pair of what you want.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm just trying to figure out how to remove the little window.. I guess I'll have to experiment on the Jeeps at some local junkyards lol
Old 04-12-2009, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Remove the door panel, you will need to access the inside of the door. Remove the screw that holds the glass on the upper swivel. The lower track of the glass has a stud made onto it that goes down into the door frame. You will need someone with some scrawny arms to get the nut back on that stud after putting the new window back in. Whatever you do, do not pull the rubber moulding off of the lower part of the window frame. I made that mistake when I changed the window on my junk 87. Never got it to go back into the channel.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

there are a few screws that go down the door front of the door on the angled part i think like 4 and ther is 1 or 2 behind the door panel then it should just slide out you will need to lower your window to get it out
Old 04-12-2009, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The swivel window only has one screw on the top swivel and one nut for the stud on the bottom frame. I am looking at my disassembled door on the 87 now.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

There are one or two Phillips-head tapping screws in the forward edge of the window frame, and there will be one screw or two screws or rivets in the lower extension inside the door - it also forms the forward main window guide.

To remove:
- Remove inner door liner
- Roll main window all the way down
- Remove screw(s) from leading edge
- Remove screw or drill out rivets from lower post (it's straight down from the part you see. If there are rivets, drill out using a 1/4" bit.)
- Tilt window assembly toward latch side of door, then tilt toward outside. Lift straight up.

To install:
- Reverse motion from removing broken window frame.
- Guide main window into channel in lower post.
- Reattach at top using tapping screws you removed previously.
- Reattach at bottom. If you removed screws, reinstall them. If you drilled out rivets, reinstall using 1/4" hex head machine screws and Nylon collar locking nuts (CRES hardware is preferred. The Nylon locking nuts are so you don't have to go in there and retorque it once a year. If you remove the locknuts, replace them - they're inexpensive, and it's a standard practise to do so.)
- Run main window up and down in track to make sure you got it lined up properly. Once you've verified that, tighten everything down (German torque - "gutentiet" - is usually sufficient.)
- Reassemble door liner, armrest, window crank handle, &c.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:10 PM

You guys are life-savers.. Thank you everyone!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

next time.. dont lock your doors!
you save the expense of breaking a window and keep your windshield wiper arm on...

a cop once told me : Locks are made to keep the innocent people out..

think about it!

mark