Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

transfer case fill plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default transfer case fill plug

did some searching couldnt find anything.. cant get the fill plug out and I was dumb and already drained fluid.. pulled speed cable thinking that would work no.. what can I do to get fluid in my t case so I can drive home.. running outta daylight fast.

thanks.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 PM

why cant you get the fill plug out is it stripped or is just too tight ?? u might just need a bigger ratchet or a cheater bar to get better leverage like a piece of steel pipe over the handle of your ratchet
Old 12-22-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990/2001

Originally Posted by RevZeroX
did some searching couldnt find anything.. cant get the fill plug out and I was dumb and already drained fluid.. pulled speed cable thinking that would work no.. what can I do to get fluid in my t case so I can drive home.. running outta daylight fast.

thanks.
The only thing I can think of is applying more force to the fill plug, or maybe heating it a bit with a torch(just be careful not to over do it). Other than that you would have to raise the rear end as high as possible to get some fluid in, but even then I dont think you will be able to get enough in there.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:44 PM

it was semi stripped to begin with.. found blue locktite on the drain plug.. there just isnt enough meat on the bolt head to get a good grab. its like the thickness of a .25 cent.. ima try again with the huge open end wrench.. im getting tempted to tack weld it on so it doesnt slip.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:48 PM

I think it is aluminum. No welding.............................Flat head screw driver (used like a chisel) and a BFH? Just throwin ideas out there.....................Heat and vice grips?....................pipe wrench?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by tntchitwood
I think it is aluminum. No welding.............................Flat head screw driver (used like a chisel) and a BFH? Just throwin ideas out there.....................Heat and vice grips?....................pipe wrench?
X2 on the heat and vice grips or pipe wrench. When you do get it to break loose and put it back on, do not tighten to much, get onother from JY and replace ASAP.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

what can I do to get fluid in my t case so I can drive home.. running outta daylight fast.
Pull the sending unit for the dash light & dump it in there.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 PM

sending unit would over flow too quick.. way quick. tried welding the wrench, wasnt happening.. tried vice grips, and everything else.. the solution me and my buddy did was pretty easy..

where the rear drive shaft bolts up, its hollow straight into the case. took the plastic filler tip from a gear oil bottle and put it on the atf bottle. stuck it in the bolt hole and pumped two qts in.. can't measure it but its close enough. shifts into part time and all just fine. no leaks..

Thanks all for the help. I appreciate it alot. mighty cold out tonight.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 AM

sending unit would over flow too quick.. way quick. tried welding the wrench, wasnt happening.. tried vice grips, and everything else.. the solution me and my buddy did was pretty easy..

where the rear drive shaft bolts up, its hollow straight into the case. took the plastic filler tip from a gear oil bottle and put it on the atf bottle. stuck it in the bolt hole and pumped two qts in.. can't measure it but its close enough. shifts into part time and all just fine. no leaks..

Thanks all for the help. I appreciate it alot. mighty cold out tonight.
Sooner than later should try and get it to break loose and replace. Good luck.