Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trans,Clutch, or xfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Trans,Clutch, or xfer case?

I am fairly new to Jeeps, and have not driven a Manual for a very long time. The manuals I did drive were never in need of repair or trans fluid while I had them (I wrecked them or got a different vehicle before getting into the trans) Anyway here is the situation, I just changed the oil yesterday, However today while I was driving I could hear almost like grinding, not a LOT of grinding just very faint and only when the trans was under load going faster than....45ish?

What are some simple ways to eliminate various problems so I don't spend a bunch of cash on the wrong diagnosis. are there any other ways to tell where the problem lies without tearing a bunch of stuff apart? (its my daily driver too)

Description of the sound... Well its sort of like taking 2 glasses and putting just a little bit of sand between the 2 and rotating them. Again, this only occurs at speeds at or above 40-45 and while accelerating. Maybe its something totaly unrelated?

Anyway I just dont want to end up on the side of the road with a clutch or worse, the trans!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by NewXJaddict; 09-24-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

If this sound/symptom is too vague let me know. I will try to describe it better. Or if there is no real way to narrow it down without just trying different things let me know.

I have an apointment to get trans oil change tomorrow. Maybe Ill know more after that.

Any ideas or information is appriciated

1987 4.0 Not sure about what transmission it has. I think its the smaller one the ax 4/5? but not 100% sure

Last edited by NewXJaddict; 09-24-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

UPDATE: I had my transmission fluid changed and the mechanic said I had a leak coming from the transfer case area. I can still hear the same noise and I want to go ahead and drop the transfer case and change out the fluid. I assume there is a gasket that needs replaced too. I am wondering how difficult this process is. About how long should I plan for it. Any special tools needed? I am kind of new to doing my own work to this extent but want to learn it...and ya gotta do to learn.

Any help is appriciated and maybe even a photo or what everything under there is suppose to look like.

Thanks In advance
Old 09-26-2009, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Growling usually indicates a failied/failing bearing. Figure out where it's coming from:

Vehicle in motion - listen for location to narrow it down first. Could (literally!) be anywhere in the drivetrain.

Engine running, transmission in Neutral - it's going to be at the transmission or at the front of it, so narrow it down some more:
- Engine running, transmission in Neutral, clutch Engaged (clutch pedal UP) - input shaft bearing (typically) or a countershaft bearing (inside the transmission. Less common, but possible.)
- Engine running, transmission in Neutral, clutch Disengaged (clutch pedal DOWN) - almost always the throwout bearing.

If none of these cases apply, let us know. The leak between the transmission and trasfer case is either the transmission output seal (you'll be losing gear oil) or the transfer case input seal (you'll be losing red ATF.)

The 1987 w/242ci I6 came with the Peugeot BA-10/5, unless it's been changed by a previous owner. The BA-10 is not the greatest gearbox in the world for this application, I went through four of them in my 88 before I finally got an AX-15 to replace the wretched thing with. The BA-10 can be readily identified by the case being split lengthwise (it's a "clam-loader" - open the case like a clampshell and put in the internals,) and it can be identified from the top by moving the shifter boots aside and seeing the shift tower retained by three screws (the AX-15 uses four.)

With the BA-10, noise while moving (particularly in First or Second) can be caused by missing gear teeth - turns out that Peugeot hardens the gear teeth too much for this application - but the BA-10/5 was originally used in the Peugeot 505 - with one-third less weight, half the engine displacement, and probably one-third the torque. This is why the four BA-10s I went through were missing teeth on first and second gear - once one goes, the rest aren't far behind.

From the noise you're describing, tho, I'm more inclined to think it's a bearing than gear teeth. However, start looking for an AX-15 anyhow... The 1988.5-1993 is a direct swap (you just move the crossmember back and have to use a different pilot bushing,) while the 1994-up will also require a change of hydraulics (since they went from that wretched slave cylinder/throwout bearing combination part to a more proper slave cylinder-clutch fork-throwout bearing arrangement.)
Old 09-26-2009, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

WOW! Thanks, that helped out a ton. I can at least start narrowing it down by when it makes the noise and not just stabbing around in the dark guessing. And yes unfortunately it is the 10/5 but it is going to have to last me as I am broke for now lol. I will keep my eye out maybe a deal on the 15 will come up somewhere.

Again thanks for the info!!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

Well, On the drive home today I made sure all the windows were rolled up and tried a few different things to narrow down the sound. It seems to only happen when the clutch is engaged, its extremely faint in lower gears and slower speeds but gets louder (not by much) as I increase speeds and go into higher gears.

It's really tough though having no basis for comparison lol.

When the Jeep is just parked and running there is a slight noise that is hard to describe and it seems to change pitch when I press the clutch in and let it back out.

Maybe its just how it sounds and im freaking for no reason lol.

Who wants to come drive it around for me? LOL

I guess I will just keep working on changing out all the different fluids and see what happens. Next will be either transfer case or front/rear diffs

Last edited by NewXJaddict; 09-26-2009 at 10:57 PM.