Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Loud mech fan clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Loud mech fan clutch

So I just wanted to get some suggestions on where to get the quietest, closest possible to OEM fan clutch. I accidentally installed an AutoZone clutch without checking the forums first, and I'm now well versed in how terrible it is. Someone suggested the NAPA clutch but apparently it's a Hayden and I've heard similar stories about them. Any way to get a non-HD cooling clutch with the OEM viscous coupling instead of all this parts store "OEM" crap? Not interested in spending $150 on the Mopar either, especially for something that gets replaced with regular cooling system maintenance.

It's noisy, I've lost like 25% on the butt dyno, and I think I might take off if I'm not careful

Last edited by ddurgin91; 09-15-2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Dakota I used a fan clutch from a 4.0 Grand Cherokee on mine bought it from AutoZone lifetime warranty, can't remember the brand if it was theirs or not.

All are a bit noisy when they kick in because of all the air they draw fully coupled.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Dakota I used a fan clutch from a 4.0 Grand Cherokee on mine bought it from AutoZone lifetime warranty, can't remember the brand if it was theirs or not.

All are a bit noisy when they kick in because of all the air they draw fully coupled.
That's just the thing, the autozone one I bought is non-stop coupled. It never disengages. I sound like a cessna 172 on the highway. My old one would be locked until I passed a certain rpm and then it worked normally.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:14 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by ddurgin91
That's just the thing, the autozone one I bought is non-stop coupled. It never disengages. I sound like a cessna 172 on the highway. My old one would be locked until I passed a certain rpm and then it worked normally.
It's defective.....
Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
It's defective.....
It's not, it's the incorrect part. Here's a thread I found AFTER installing the clutch but there were no suggestions beyond Hayden (which is the one NAPA sells).

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/aut...3/#post1964048

I'm guessing it's the same p/n as the GC with the 5.2 or the 5.9 which probably runs a larger blade with increased torque requirement.

The trouble is, it has the lifetime warranty on it, but I don't want to get it replaced with the same crap clutch. Hoping for my sake I kept the receipt in one of the Jeeps, I've been known to lose receipts five minutes after I buy something.

Last edited by ddurgin91; 09-15-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:49 PM

It's not, it's the incorrect part. Here's a thread I found AFTER installing the clutch but there were no suggestions beyond Hayden (which is the one NAPA sells).

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/aut...3/#post1964048

I'm guessing it's the same p/n as the GC with the 5.2 or the 5.9 which probably runs a larger blade with increased torque requirement.

The trouble is, it has the lifetime warranty on it, but I don't want to get it replaced with the same crap clutch. Hoping for my sake I kept the receipt in one of the Jeeps, I've been known to lose receipts five minutes after I buy something.
No fan clutch should stay engaged at freeway speeds or all the time.....
Old 09-16-2015, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
No fan clutch should stay engaged at freeway speeds or all the time.....
Yeah I understand, what I'm saying is the Autozone one always will because it is designed for a larger blade. There isn't enough centrifugal force being applied to the clutch for it to break free. That's what I've heard about the AutoZone one at least. Really was just looking for the closest to OEM that's not from NAPA.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:05 AM

Yeah I understand, what I'm saying is the Autozone one always will because it is designed for a larger blade. There isn't enough centrifugal force being applied to the clutch for it to break free. That's what I've heard about the AutoZone one at least. Really was just looking for the closest to OEM that's not from NAPA.
Huh? They work based on temp, not weight.

Hang in there.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

I went through the Hayden clutch routine. Went to O'reilly and looked at their Murray clutch. When I puled it out of the Murray box it had a Hayden sticker on it. The counter puke said Murray bought Hayden.

Airtex is doing the same thing, hiding behind other fuel pump manufacturer's name brands. Sneaky buggers.

I bought a clutch from NAPA and it has worked fine. Never saw a Hayden ID anywhere on it or the box it came in. NAPA part number TEM 272318.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also bought a new clutch fan off of eBay and mine is the same thing. Mine doesn't stop roaring until I'm on the freeway and the over drive kicks in. So basically anytime I'm in the city or taking off, my jeep also sounds like it is taking off. At first I kinda liked the sound but after 30 minutes of it in a row it gets old.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Been visiting the Hayden website:
http://www.haydenauto.com/Hayden%20C...e/Content.aspx

http://www.haydenauto.com/Featured%2...s/Content.aspx
Old 09-16-2015, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

What did you learn?
Old 09-16-2015, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Looks like NAPA clutch fans aren't Hayden's.

Other than finding out exactly how they work they advise staying with a replacement that's close to the OEM one. You can overkill to the point of causing cooling problems and diminishing returns such as poor gas mileage and of course there is the noise factor.

I can't always access the PDF info due to our server but I want to read the troubleshooting info.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Looks like NAPA clutch fans aren't Hayden's.

Other than finding out exactly how they work they advise staying with a replacement that's close to the OEM one. You can overkill to the point of causing cooling problems and diminishing returns such as poor gas mileage and of course there is the noise factor.

I can't always access the PDF info due to our server but I want to read the troubleshooting info.
Yeah the intention from the beginning was to get an OEM part. Autozone just sucks and lists the incorrect part. I ordered the napa clutch, we'll see how it works.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

When mine went out I just opted for eletrical replacements. Got 4 12" slim fans. Two on the front of the radiator to push air, two on back to pull air. Wired the pulling fans so they are always going if the engine is running and wired the pushers into the existing eletric fan relay, they only come on when the A/C kicks in or if the temp climps too high.
Plus super quiet and frees up loads of engine bay room.

Quick Reply: Loud mech fan clutch