Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tranny Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Tranny Temp Gauge

So I picked up a tranny temp gauge and I've been reading around on the forum and seems that most people install these on the return via a compress tee (if I understand correctly). The gauge I got (http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/elite...ure-gauge.aspx) comes with a "transmission test port sensor". Does anyone know if the 90 cherokee comes with a transmission test port? Or am I going to have to install directly onto the return lines?

I got this gauge for a few reasons... Like the style of it (has a magnified glass and can change the color to go with my red theme) and has the warning light/beep that goes off when it gets too hot. It came with everything needed (assuming I have a transmission test port) and I got it on eBay new for $60 free shipping.

So is this going to be an easy unscrew test port bolt, screw in transmission test port sensor or is this going to be an all day cut transmission line (oops cut wrong line , fix cut line, get cuts on knuckles, swear, drink , cut right line , bought wrong part , get new part , install ) type of project
Old 01-11-2014, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

There's a pressure test port IIRC, might plumb it there.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Radi
There's a pressure test port IIRC, might plumb it there.
That might be the one! Supposedly its on the side of the transmission near the pan. Gonna take a look tomorrow when it's light out.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Decided not to wait ill morning time... I think I found it, any thoughts?

Name:  get-attachmentaspx.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  76.5 KB
Old 01-11-2014, 05:53 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Yeah. You need to fix the oil filter adapter seals!!

Probably a metric thread, but other than that I see no problem.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Yeah. You need to fix the oil filter adapter seals!!

Probably a metric thread, but other than that I see no problem.
Funny you mention that... I have oil droplets in a few spots, and usually they occur right after I shut the engine off. Napa has a UV dye that you add to your oil and can see where the leaks are coming from via black light... Have you had any experience with this kind of product?

Last edited by Jakers; 01-11-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Jakers
So I picked up a tranny temp gauge and I've been reading around on the forum and seems that most people install these on the return via a compress tee (if I understand correctly)............
I would suggest NOT using the return line for the sending unit location but rather use the line where hot fluid exits the tranny (front line on tranny, I believe). Using the return line just tells u the temp of cooled tranny after the fluid has been thru the cooler. The tranny fluid exit line is the hot fluid leaving the tranny. Kinda like the engine coolant temp gauge measures hot coolant temp where it leaves the motor (or close to it), not cooled coolant temp that leaves the radiator.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Funny you mention that... I have oil droplets in a few spots, and usually they occur right after I shut the engine off. Napa has a UV dye that you add to your oil and can see where the leaks are coming from via black light... Have you had any experience with this kind of product?
Yes, I have.

But, this works well without the additional expense:

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.

Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who can’t see your Jeep from where they’re at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.

Revised 02-26-2013
Old 01-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Seasoned Member

So not sure if that "doo hickie" I posted in the picture was the test port... a washer and a not came off but I'm still left with the square piece...doesn't seem to be able to be pryed out (don't want to use too much force in case its not suppose to be) and I can't really get a pair of pliers in their to see if its turnable... looks like it might be an inline install.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

So not sure if that "doo hickie" I posted in the picture was the test port... a washer and a not came off but I'm still left with the square piece...doesn't seem to be able to be pryed out (don't want to use too much force in case its not suppose to be) and I can't really get a pair of pliers in their to see if its turnable... looks like it might be an inline install.
Before messing with the NSS anymore, read through this thread. The last post has a nice photo of a temp sensor installation.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1098456

Pic is worth stealing BTW.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

I don't know if this will work for the test port and your gauge probe but it was mentioned on another forum.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2267/
Old 01-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by CCKen
Before messing with the NSS anymore, read through this thread. The last post has a nice photo of a temp sensor installation.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1098456

Pic is worth stealing BTW.
F.M.L....

I wish I was more patient and waited for this... I already cut my lines and installed a compression fitting, just went to start it up and its leaking at the fitting...

I'm hoping its just because I didn't tighten it up enough (didn't have any flarenut wrenches)... So what should my plan of action be? Tighten up the compression fitting and hope it stops the leak?

God I feel like such an ******* for cutting into the line now...
Old 01-11-2014, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

F.M.L....

I wish I was more patient and waited for this... I already cut my lines and installed a compression fitting, just went to start it up and its leaking at the fitting...

I'm hoping its just because I didn't tighten it up enough (didn't have any flarenut wrenches)... So what should my plan of action be? Tighten up the compression fitting and hope it stops the leak?

God I feel like such an ******* for cutting into the line now...
Compression fitting suck. Try tightening it up a bit. Compression fittings always have the habit of coming loose.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by CCKen
Compression fitting suck. Try tightening it up a bit. Compression fittings always have the habit of coming loose.
At work now, was going to wait till the morning when there is light out but I'm to anxious to get it working so I'm going to give another crack at it tonight when I get off.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

At work now, was going to wait till the morning when there is light out but I'm to anxious to get it working so I'm going to give another crack at it tonight when I get off.
Take some pics. Everybody likes pics.

Quick Reply: Tranny Temp Gauge